Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:47 PM

581 posts, read 2,308,587 times

Advertisements

I have a 3/1 Int Only ARM at 5.375%
My loan is $298,000 on a home I paid $384,00 for.
Excellent credit and never late on a loan payment.

I see lots of 3/1 Int Only ARMs with Int rates anywhere
between 3.5% and 4% yet when I call to inquire about
refinancing these places tell me that best they can do
is get me 6% provided I re-pay my closing costs all over..
Even the place that originally processed my loan at 5.375%

What gives? Why do all these places like Absoulte Mortgage
and CitiMortgage advertise such teaser rates like 3.5% then
tell you they could get you 6% on refi and only if you have to pay
big fees? Is refinance just a license to get robbed by greedy
Mortgage Companies?

What happened to the Obama pledge to help get people into
lower interest loans? How does this work? I pay my loan
just fine and make "principal" payments here and there to pay
down the mortgage but I would like grab a lower interest rate.

And what ever happened to no-cost refi's that buried the closing
costs into the loan for a small bump in the interest rate?

I would like to get a lower rate but I keep being told these rates
are only good for purchases of homes and refi's don't apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 06:10 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,778 times
Are they pulling your credit? Could the be a mistake there that is causing such a high rate?
How much is your home worth now?

Regarding the Obama plan it only applies if you refi to a fixed loan.

We were going to go with Today's Rates
or https://home.ingdirect.com/pop_up/rateglance.html until our appraisal came in too low.

Good luck

Old 07-27-2009, 06:54 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,020,507 times
Not sure where you are seeing interest only arms at those low rates. You can get a principle and interest loan under 4% on a short term arm.

No cost loans are also still available.

Whoever told you rates were different on purchase loans and refi loans was lying to you. Whether you refiance or buy a home, the rates are the same for each transaction. i would suggest you contact a professional broker in your area that can shop you with multiple lenders to find the best deal.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
What's your credit rating?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM

credit is 740.

So does anyone offer no-cost refi's ??

Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Anybody can offer a no cost refi. All you do is bump up the interest rate, take the yield spread and pay the closing costs and the loan officer keeps the difference. It is extremly difficult to offer a no cost loan with an ARM, so must are done utitlizing fixed rates. Typically, lenders will not pay enough ysp on ARMS to allow for a no cost loan since the life of the loan will be short term.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 AM

835 posts, read 3,979,261 times
Get a referral to a local broker in your area, because not all lenders have good rates on ARM's and brokers work with many lenders. Here in NC I have a 5/1 ARM interest only at 4.875% with no closing costs based on your loan amount. Our closing costs are below average- 3rd parties (lender, attorney, title, recodring, appraisal) are only about $1800 so these can be easily absorbed with YSP as Victor said.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:51 PM

My current mortgage is with Citimortgage. If I refi'd with this same company, why do I need all the
stuff like title, appraisal, recording, etc re-done? Couldn't they just grand-father all the stuff into
a new loan if it's with the same mortgage place? I mean if I already have a loan with them what
sense does it make to re-do all these things? It's not like they have to protect themselves from
possible default since I already have the loan with them.. I just want a better rate??

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Tom63376, Citimortgage doesn't have your mortgage. They have sold it into the secondary market. They are only servicing the loan meaning sending bill and collecting the money. They than forward your payment to the end investor but they keep a small part to compensate them for servicing.

So, you need all that documentation again because there will be a new investor with your loan after you close.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:21 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,581,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorBurek View Post
Tom63376, Citimortgage doesn't have your mortgage. They have sold it into the secondary market. They are only servicing the loan meaning sending bill and collecting the money. They than forward your payment to the end investor but they keep a small part to compensate them for servicing.

So, you need all that documentation again because there will be a new investor with your loan after you close.
I think the word to discribe you situtation is "SCREWED" ! sorry to say you just want a lower rate and I would like just a few thousands, but in reality neither of us will get what we want in todays world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages