Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 09:59 AM

98 posts, read 257,431 times

Advertisements

Hello, I need help my escrow just went up this year 200.00 now I’m up to 1390.00. I’m from Rogers AR my mortgage holder is CITI MORTGAGE my husband lost his job in may 09 we can’t afford this amount. What are my options? Will the bank work with me instead of foreclosure. What can I do?
P.S MY TAXES OR HOMEOWNERS DIDNT GO UP I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH
P.M.I (PERSONAL MORTGAGE INSURANCE) BECAUSE ONLY BUT 10% DOWN
NEVER BEEN LATE! We got mortgage 1 1/2 years ago at 950.00 month
30 year regular at 5.5%

Thank you

MRS AR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 01:44 PM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,083 times
PMI is set at the beginning of the loan and cannot change so the increase has to do with either your property taxes going up or your homeowners insurance going up. Not much your bank can do to help since they do not set the tax rate in your state.

You could contact your state and dispute the property value which might lower your taxes. Also, shop your home owners insurance, you might be able to find a new insurance company offering better rates which could help to reduce your payment.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM

23 posts, read 264,703 times
When you take out a mortgage, I believe that lenders require you to pay up to a year's worth of stuff in advance that goes in to escrow (i.e. hazard insurance, taxes). So you will see it as a "closing cost" instead of building it up over the year based on the escrow low-water mark which is what happens on subsequent years. This will make your monthly mortgage payment higher after that first year. At least this is how my mortgage was done.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,293,678 times
Sorry to hear your predicament. Same thing happened to us, and it stings, but we're getting by...

Seems like a bait and switch thing almost that they give you a lower payment initially to get you in the house knowing that the escrow is most likely going to be short and your payments will increase in subsequent years. I can certainly see where they have incentive to lowball property tax "estimates" and figure it'll all get worked out later once you're in the loan..... Quite clever really, but it sucks.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:34 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
It can hit you double hard if you buy new construction. The home value may be based on "Raw Land" and can take several years of increases to get the escrow amount where it should have been in the beginning.

It's a common mistake many 1st time buyers make.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:08 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
You might want to check how much the lender is keeping in escrow. There is a limit to how much they keep as a "cushion". In some situations, you don't have to have an escrow account--I don't use escrow anymore. I started paying my own taxes and insurance after realizing my lender was keeping over $500 floating in my account. Money that they weren't required to pay me any interest on. And that cushion kept going up every year.

Anyway, from HUD page HUD RESPA FAQs by Consumers about Escrow Accounts

The RESPA statute and regulations do not require the lender to maintain a cushion. However, since 1976 the RESPA statute has allowed lenders to maintain a cushion equal to one-sixth of the total amount of items paid out of the account, or approximately two months of escrow payments. If state law or mortgage documents allow for a lesser amount, the lesser amount prevails.

There is a lot more information here. Check it out.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
^^But they only put 10% down so they must have an Escrow account. Did you do Homestead?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMANN989 View Post
Hello, I need help my escrow just went up this year 200.00 now I’m up to 1390.00. I’m from Rogers AR my mortgage holder is CITI MORTGAGE my husband lost his job in may 09 we can’t afford this amount. What are my options? Will the bank work with me instead of foreclosure. What can I do?
P.S MY TAXES OR HOMEOWNERS DIDNT GO UP I THINK IT HAS TO DO WITH
P.M.I (PERSONAL MORTGAGE INSURANCE) BECAUSE ONLY BUT 10% DOWN
NEVER BEEN LATE! We got mortgage 1 1/2 years ago at 950.00 month
30 year regular at 5.5%

Thank you

MRS AR
You need to call your lender and demand answers - which they're not going to willingly give you. Actually, your monthly mortgage statement should have all that information spelled out clearly.

All we can do here is make educated guesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages