Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times

Advertisements

I owned a Stella that I positively adored !!
Im in the market for another scooter, again.
I think Im going with a TGB-Laser 9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 09:01 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Check them for what?
Check to see what the scooter regulations are. Here in New York, every scooter (or moped) is treated like a motorcycle and you need a full motorcycle license and registration to operate one on public roads. There are NO exceptions.

In other states, some scooters, usually the under-50cc class, do not require motorcycle licenses or registration.

Some states also restrict on which roads you may drive a scooter depending again, on displacement. Scooters under 250cc may not be permitted on certain roads because of an inability to keep-up with traffic speeds.

I got turned-on to scooters while vacationing in Bermuda where they do not allow tourists to rent cars. Either you take the bus or a taxi or learn to ride a scooter. It really was the best way to go now that I look at it. There are two or three big rental companies in Bermuda and all the bikes have distinctive livery to indicate that they are rentals and the locals are kind (or smart) enough to give you wide berth because a lot of tourists have never rode before. After a few trips to Bermuda I'm now comfortable going into downtown Hamilton and dealing with rush-hour traffic. I'm happy to spend every day scooting around the countryside. It's a blast!

When I came home to New York after my last trip I immediately decided that I wanted a scooter but then discovered New York's laws were definitely not scooter-friendly. More too I realized that it just wouldn't work with such dangerous roads and fast driving. If I move, which is likely, then I'll get one if I end-up in South Carolina or Vermont.

I will advise you to get a scooter that you can get serviced. Service facilities can be far and few between and many scooters require specialized tools. Honda and Yamaha seem to have the most sales and service facilities plus they make great scooters. Both their websites show where the nearest dealer/servicers are. If you're lucky to have a Vespa dealer near you, definitely put them on your list. Vespas are beautiful scooters and very well built. You may also want to get a scooter trailer for your car in case the scooter breaks down or you want to take it with you on vacation. No matter what the laws of AZ require, I think it very wise to take a motorcycle safety course.

I don't know where you are in AZ, but you may want to check for local scooter clubs in the area. They can help you out. Yahoo! has a group, 2strokesmoke, that can point you in the right direction.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Check to see what the scooter regulations are. Here in New York, every scooter (or moped) is treated like a motorcycle and you need a full motorcycle license and registration to operate one on public roads. There are NO exceptions. . . [clipped for brevity]
The guy isn't looking for a 50cc scooter. He's looking for scooters in the 400-650cc range -- essentially, an upright motorcycle that will be street-legal anywhere, and yes, will obviously require a license.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 PM

The requirement to have a motorcycle license for a scooter under 50cc is unusual in the US. Registration though, is not. Insurance requirements vary.

Here are summaries of scooter laws in various states.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 PM

HE IS NOT LOOKING AT A 50cc SCOOTER. Are you reading this thread at all?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:08 AM

How do you know this? If he's not taking it on the highway then an under 50cc may very well suit him. With a $700 he's not going to get a Silverwing.

And don't shout at me. That's just rude and moreso because I haven't done anything to deserve it.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
How do you know this?
Becuase of this:

"Budget is less than $7000 but I don't want a POS either. I'd also like something with a bit of substance to it and not a rinky-dink little moped."

Quote:
If he's not taking it on the highway then an under 50cc may very well suit him. With a $700 he's not going to get a Silverwing.
Let me post the exact same quote from above with a shift in emphasis:

"Budget is less than $7000 but I don't want a POS either. I'd also like something with a bit of substance to it and not a rinky-dink little moped."

Since you're off by a mere ten-fold, it turns out that a Silverwing-type scooter actually is in his budget, particularly if he shops late-model used.

Quote:
And don't shout at me. That's just rude and moreso because I haven't done anything to deserve it.
Sorry about that. Since you didn't actually seem to be paying a lot of attention to posts in this thread, it seemed like the only way to get your attention. My bad.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Lately I've been searching around for something inexpensive and fun to tool around in (versus driving my SUV everywhere). I've looked at motorcycles, trikes, and now...a scooter.

Basically I want something that is small, fuel-efficient, fun to drive, and cheap to buy/insure. It'll just be used to tool around town and I doubt I'll take it on the freeway (hell I'd be downright scared to). A motorcycle was the first thing that popped into my mind but after I started looking, I realized that they are most definetly NOT cheap (even older, used ones) and I really can't afford to spend a ton of $$ right now.

Would a scooter suit me?

Budget is less than $7000 but I don't want a POS either. I'd also like something with a bit of substance to it and now a rinky-dink little moped.

But I have NO knowledge of motor scooters what-so-ever, does anyone here have one or know someone that has one? Any good websites?
Put WHIZZER into google for a search and you will find their site. It is like a bicycle with a gasoline engine and it runs about $1500 delivered anywhere in the US. Top speed is 25mph.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Thanks for all the advice but as of now I won't be buying any scooter or motorcycle. Something came up that required quite a bit of my spare change so right now a toy is out of the question. I will keep all the info in mind.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 PM

Bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles