Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:10 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,774,637 times

Advertisements

Im new to motorcylces even though im mid 50's . Seriously considering this private party totally pristine Honda Shadow with 15 k. miles on it -- the Bike looks absolutely brand new . Would like overall impressions of this Bike plus i have a few questions please :

1. It seems to me the Honda Shadow is Hondas answer to the Harley Sportster given its low profile ? How compatible is this bike for a 6'3" / 260 lb Man ?

2. How is the reliability ? There are ALOT of these for sale in my area on CraigsList -- is it because they are popular or because they are prone to trouble ?

3. The Bike will be used for 75% highway / 25% rural town driving . How compatible is the bike to this kind of usage ?

4. What problems have you experienced or heard of with this particular model Bike ?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
1. It seems to me the Honda Shadow is Hondas answer to the Harley Sportster given its low profile ? How compatible is this bike for a 6'3" / 260 lb Man ?

6'3" is pretty tall for any cruiser type frame.
Don't compare any bike to a Harley.

2. How is the reliability...

rock solid. It's a Honda.

3. The Bike will be used for 75% highway / 25% rural town driving . How compatible is the bike to this kind of usage ?

if you fit the frame... that's fine.

4. What problems have you experienced or heard of with this particular model Bike ?

people thinking because it's a V twin that somehow it compares with a Harley or that because it's a 750 they can do really long runs with them.
The Shadow is a good enough starter bike if a little heavy.

I'd rather see a newbie on a more upright standard frame...
combine that with being tall and even more reason to go with a standard frame seating position
(test ride the Suzuki SV650 as a comparison)

Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
Im new to motorcylces even though im mid 50's . Seriously considering this private party totally pristine Honda Shadow with 15 k. miles on it -- the Bike looks absolutely brand new . Would like overall impressions of this Bike plus i have a few questions please :

2. How is the reliability ? There are ALOT of these for sale in my area on CraigsList -- is it because they are popular or because they are prone to trouble ?

Many thanks.
More information is needed. For instance back in 1983 I owned a 750cc Honda Shadow. It had a shaft drive. It was a great bike and I put close to 100K on it before I sold it. I ride a lot but I do all the maintenance work needed religiously. Often times a low mileage bike is the worst. Some folks don't ride from September to May and they don't drain their gas tanks or add fuel stabilizer to the tank over the winter. Think MAJOR carb repair bill from fuel varnish. If it is a chain driven bike LEARN how to properly inspect a chain for wear. Many riders do NOT know how to properly adjust and maintain their chains. Tweeked forks can be another expensive problem. Batteries. Weather problems from long term storage outside. Think mouse and small critters using for a nesting place. If you don't know what to look for find a buddy that does or pay a mechanic a couple hours pay to go with you.

The 750cc Honda Shadows are a good choice for the type of riding you outlined. Performance will be similar to that of a 883 Sportster.
Good luck,
GL2

Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
More information is needed. For instance back in 1983 I owned a 750cc Honda Shadow. It had a shaft drive. It was a great bike and I put close to 100K on it before I sold it. I ride a lot but I do all the maintenance work needed religiously. Often times a low mileage bike is the worst. Some folks don't ride from September to May and they don't drain their gas tanks or add fuel stabilizer to the tank over the winter. Think MAJOR carb repair bill from fuel varnish. If it is a chain driven bike LEARN how to properly inspect a chain for wear. Many riders do NOT know how to properly adjust and maintain their chains. Tweeked forks can be another expensive problem. Batteries. Weather problems from long term storage outside. Think mouse and small critters using for a nesting place. If you don't know what to look for find a buddy that does or pay a mechanic a couple hours pay to go with you.

The 750cc Honda Shadows are a good choice for the type of riding you outlined. Performance will be similar to that of a 883 Sportster.
Good luck,
GL2
What do u think about the frame size for me being 6'3" ? Will it be comfortable and any other issues with a low profile frame ? WIll the Bike be suitable for a 250 mile trip every now and then going 65 mph on the Interstate in Florida ? The BIke im considering is a chain drive and I will have it checked out well by a mechanic but to my (untrained) eyes, the entire Bike looks in tip top shape visually. This will be my first Bike and for the $3 k. he is asking, it isnt going to break the bank . What can i expect to pay in insurance at my age with a perfect driving record riding year round in Florida ? How long do tuneups last on this kind of Bike ? Thanks to you and the other fella for the info.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The Shadow is a good enough starter bike if a little heavy.

I'd rather see a newbie on a more upright standard frame...
combine that with being tall and even more reason to go with a standard frame seating position
(test ride the Suzuki SV650 as a comparison)
I checked out a couple of Suziki SV650's on CraigsList just now, and i dont really care for the styling of the bike...particularly the rear deck . Looks too much like an executive type Bike with the engine covers for my liking...but thats just my opinion. I like that open-look of the motor , pipes, etc... What kind of MPG can i expect from a Shadow 750 for mostly highway use ? Thanks.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
I checked out a couple of Suziki SV650's on CraigsList just now, and i dont really care for the styling...
I wasn't suggesting them for the styling....
but rather for the riding comfort of the frame type.
That's why I said to TEST RIDE one.

But if cruiser "styling" is what you're really about...
just go and get the Harley that you really want.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:58 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
Check out the Honda Nighthawk. You'll have to go a few years back, but there's usually a few on CL. It's a 'standard' bike which will really give you more of a neutral riding position (as opposed to the leaned back approach the Shadow will have). My brother is about your size and he started on a used Nighthawk 750. It was an awesome bike that I always enjoyed stealing a ride on when I could. The neutral seating position made it feel very tossable but comfy as well. Power was good, but not overwhelming. And, being a Honda, he never had a single problem with it.

Mike

Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,869,518 times
Quote:
What do u think about the frame size for me being 6'3" ? Will it be comfortable and any other issues with a low profile frame ? WIll the Bike be suitable for a 250 mile trip every now and then going 65 mph on the Interstate in Florida ? The BIke im considering is a chain drive and I will have it checked out well by a mechanic but to my (untrained) eyes, the entire Bike looks in tip top shape visually. This will be my first Bike and for the $3 k. he is asking, it isnt going to break the bank . What can i expect to pay in insurance at my age with a perfect driving record riding year round in Florida ? How long do tuneups last on this kind of Bike ? Thanks to you and the other fella for the info.
*************************************************I live in Nebraska so insurance rates may differ drastically.You still haven't mentioned the year of your Shadow.$3K for a 750 Shadow in "pristine" condition sounds about right for a 2002 to 2005 model. What does the Kelley Blue Book say?

I would expect 40 to 55 MPG with a rider of your size, depending on your throttle habits. Tune ups? Change plugs every 10,000 miles. Oil changes twice yearly or every 3,000 miles and clean air filters twice a year and the chain PROPERLY adjusted every 1,000 miles with a good Chain lube after running in rain. Some chains are SELF lubricating.

I am in my sixties now so when I am riding I try to stop every hundred miles or so to walk around for a few minutes and work out any kinks. In my teens and up to about thirty I stopped when the tank was going toward E. With a Sportster peanut tank that only holds 2-1/4 gallons I might not have made one hundred miles. Now the deciding factor is when the kidneys are headed towards F.

GL2

Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Now the deciding factor is when the kidneys are headed towards F.GL2
That's a fact! I'm in my sixties as well, and I can make about 150 miles before I stop, but the tank is getting towards E by then anyway. It's amazing how much difference five minuters off the bike can make.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,653,102 times
Funny comment about the kidney's..LOL I plan a lot of rides for my group, all guys except for me! I plan those frequent stops on every trip. Plus my group is older and I think you need breaks about 45 minutes or an hour to keep alert. As you get older, I'm over 60, it's just better to get a break to stretch and keep alert. A year or so ago a new guy lead our group on a ride. We keep going and going and going. I kept thinking I knew the guys needed a break. Suddenly I look back and a group stopped and headed for the bushes! I just laughed and told the new guy to plan stops next time.
As for the shadow it's a great bike. You will have to sit on it and see how it feels. Maybe go to a dealer and sit on several bikes. I know for me I'm short, about 5'2" and it is hard for me to find something I can handle. I had my seat cut down on the Silverwing, the shocks put down all the way and have the tallest boots I can find. Sounds like you won't have that problem, but you want something that when your feet are up riding that it feels comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles