Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,306 times

Advertisements

some knows.., pls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
It is better than sitting awake at night worrying about the non stop ringing in your ears.

I always ride with earplugs. Although, around town I take them out sometimes to make sure the bike isn't making any weird noises.
There are probably millions of people with ringing in their ears as they get older that have never even sat on a motorcycle before. There are health problems that cause this. You should check into that.I started riding in the early 70's and have never even considered using earplugs. I have excellent hearing.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:27 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Some of the rider friends I have use earplugs but most do not including myself. I almost always am listening to my MP3 player anyhow. Don't give a rat's if it is legal or not besides Even with the blasting Hard Rock/Heavy Metal music playing, I still hear all the noises around me and the voices in my head.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I haven't worn earplugs inside my helmet, and I have no hearing loss that any other 65-year-old doesn't have. I just like listening to the bike and the wind. I wouldn't want to listen to music inside my helmet at highway speeds, though. I'd have to turn it up so loud that it probably would fry my hearing.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I haven't worn earplugs inside my helmet, and I have no hearing loss that any other 65-year-old doesn't have. I just like listening to the bike and the wind. I wouldn't want to listen to music inside my helmet at highway speeds, though. I'd have to turn it up so loud that it probably would fry my hearing.
WHATTtt??

He he . I know what you mean about the music and highway/freeway speeds. My VMax is so loud (pipes) to overcome its noise, I really have to crank up the volume which I don't usually like to do. Even after riding for 15 minutes or so with loud music, when I stop the player, it still continues to ring in my ears! Besides, for certain bikes I do like listening to their engine and/or pipe sounds like my VMax which sounds like an lion's roar.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 PM

I also like the way my bike sounds, although the pipes on it are so quiet that I don't hear it at highway speed unless I crank it, and then what I hear is mostly intake roar. It's a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, a V-Four much like that of the (old) V-Max. It has 103K on it and still runs great!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I also like the way my bike sounds, although the pipes on it are so quiet that I don't hear it at highway speed unless I crank it, and then what I hear is mostly intake roar. It's a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, a V-Four much like that of the (old) V-Max. It has 103K on it and still runs great!
Oh that bike is really that quiet? I always thought it would have a mean, loud-ish sound to it, after all, it is one of the earlier power bikes from the 80s.
That is a 1 liter bike, right? Nice, I love the 70s and 80s bikes, especially 80s.
I just rescued a red 1987 Honda Magna (Super Magna) 700cc which I am in the process of restoring. Engine has 87xx miles on it.
I replaced the battery and checked compression which was great.
It just needs bunch of things including gas tank (rust removal & re-coating), new fluids and filters. I need to rebuild the front brake caliper too. Seat needs a new cover, new paint all around. Lots of elbow grease to clean dirt, grime and rust all over the bike. Mostly cosmetic restoration but when I am done, it will be worth it I am sure.

Here is short video of it before starting the restoration process:

1987 Super Magna Project - YouTube

Old 01-05-2012, 12:35 AM

No, The V65 engine is about 1.1 liter (1098cc). It's only sort of loud while idling in my garage. Loud does NOT equal power, regardless of what others may think. It's a beast to be now 28 years old!

The Magna looks great, excepting the seat! The video made me slightly seasick, though.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:09 PM

147 posts, read 135,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
One of the few benefits of hearing loss , I'm deaf in one ear and have severe loss in the other (unrelated to riding). I wear a BTE (behind the ear) hearing aid (uses a full ear canal mold) and just turn the aid volume down when I ride. It still allows for high frequency sound (sirens, horns, etc.) to get through.

For those of you who don't have problems yet, the issue of riding and hearing damage does appear to real. I'd take precautions if I were you. JMO
any occupation with noise like this would require protection under OSHA. I prefer windshields and an ear plug (i am also deaf in one ear from birth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
You can hear fine with earplugs it doesn't stop you from hearing it's just not as loud.
A good way to understand analogy how you can still hear other things like ambulance horns, is we wear sunglasses that decrease the amount of information getting to our eyes, the drop the amount by x percent yet we all agree they help us see in bright conditions. Ear plugs block the equivalent od noise/information and we can still have that clipped out level.

In engineering we use filters all the time to decrease our signal to noise ratio so we have better data. DSP are entirely for that purpose.

Even people in convertibles have the same issue.

Buy the 33 db ish earplugs they are cheap. Buy a box and give them to your friends too. It is amazing how many people once they try them because you hand them a pair before a long ride that will be lifetime users. I have been handing them out for 30 years and only one person has not liked them.

I put them on en any ride over 3 miles or any ride over 40 mph. I keep them locked/just resting between the the mirror post in the little space there so will use a new one every month is the norm.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Default Hearing protection

I wear earplugs under my helmet so I can hear the ringing in my ears that developed standing watch in a Navy engine room with four turbocharged diesel engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles