Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I think it's for traction when they take off on gravel....

I see hot head entered his/her first post with a touch of class. Nice intro. You're going to be a lot of fun to play with.
He seems to have picked the right name for himself.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 AM

12 posts, read 62,418 times
I was always wondering at this point - why many Harley Davidson riders overweight? Christeen's view seems somewhat correct.,

It may be also like this; either a overweight person buys
[b]Harley as it will be comfortable for him or the person who buys it gain weight...

mod cut: link removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 06-15-2008 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: manual signatures are not allowed as per our T.O.S. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:09 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Funny.....topic. LOL
Yes, I do see some overweight riders...but I see just as many obese people driving a car.
My husband and I are HD riders, and are not overweight at all. (He's tall, big, muscular...but not obese)
There aren't as many motorcycles on the road, in comparison to cars. So, maybe when you see some riders, maybe that's the reason, why it's so obvious that some are obese ?

Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,174 times
In our area, and this is a rather sad thing, the HD riders, are RUDE. My husband and I do not own a Harley. We don't like them, and that's that. I mean, where we live, it makes NO sense to spend upwards of 20 grand on a machine we can only seriously ride for about four to six months out of the year. Its just too much $$$, but we do own and ride a pair of his and her Yamahas. We always liked to participate in local Charity dice-run, or poker run rides, to raise money for good causes, but just in the past year, those of us who show up on 'those other bikes', get pushed to the back of the pack, shunned, or we get crass comments from the HD riders. Granted, the HD riders may sponsor the event, but they plainly state on their posters 'All Rides Welcome'....so why the attitude? I actually had one of them threaten to smack me a good one, if I didn't 'move that f-ing rice rocket' away from his HD! At that point, my husband and I left the ride we were on, and did not complete it, and haven't participated in a charity run since.

Now I grant that there are some seriously nice HD riders out there, but they sure aren't in our area!!! But these people around here, have given HD riders a really bad rep, and that is one serious shame.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:02 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
That's why they're called "Hawgs."

Just kidding. . . .

Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Well the men that I know that ride are all white collar professionals in their 40's that bought bikes after 40. I agree that anyone that rides one must love the open road. I also attend my share of "biker" events. Events put on by biker clubs. A family member of mine is in a rock band that is often hired by bikers to play at their events. The leather clad set that refer to their wives and girlfriends as "my old lady", etc. They hold events in the area to raise money for other injured bikers for medical bills, children's charities and go on regular bike runs. They start at a bar at noon, drink pitchers of beers, get back on their bikes, return to the original bar at 5, BBQ, drink more and listen to a live band. It's the bikers at these events that I've noticed tend to be overweight - which was the question by the OP. Why? I don't know. But I don't think I've personally seen so many overweight men in one place as I do at these events.
These are the kind in the area I live also. They meet once a week at a restaurant,socialize an hour or two, plan events and fund raisers, are white collar workers so they eat out a lot. lol Maybe that is why they are overweight. Or the ones you see may be pot smokers and get the munchies! lol

Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
If any 'large' person has ever tried to squeeze themselves onto a sportsbike then they'll know within 5 seconds that it just isn't going to happen. I'd suggest that it's probably because a bigger person couldn't fit onto a sportbike. Still, my uncle rides a Harley (Heritage Softail Classic ) and he's not overweight. That's probably the reason why you see more overweight people riding cruisers than sportsbikes though. More room on the gas tank to rest the beer guy.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,532 times
I purchased my first Harley last summer after my wife passed away and I love it. It helped me get thru some tuff times. I have met lots of people since my purchase that ride Harleys and other bikes and have yet to meet a bad person. Meet a couple one day that you would have thought they didn't have a pot to you know what in , but he turned out to be a stock broker from back east and they were very nice people. You can't judge people from what they wear or what they ride. Meet them first before you cast judgement.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:43 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaddy View Post
I purchased my first Harley last summer after my wife passed away and I love it. It helped me get thru some tuff times. I have met lots of people since my purchase that ride Harleys and other bikes and have yet to meet a bad person. Meet a couple one day that you would have thought they didn't have a pot to you know what in , but he turned out to be a stock broker from back east and they were very nice people. You can't judge people from what they wear or what they ride. Meet them first before you cast judgement.

Welcome to the world of Harley's. With HOG you'll never be without a friend.

You'll see lots of posts like these and they are usually by people who just like to bash Harley's 1st and people who ride 2nd.
We've come to the conclusion that jealously is involved. Or they just don't understand why people ride bikes.
We have all kinds of bikes in our group of riders and only 2 of them are overweight...so that shows you that when people say "all harley riders are rude or don't ride with anyone else" or "all harley riders are overweight". Oh and the famous.."Harley riders don't wave at non-harley bikes"
It's not true, They're just whiners.

You'll also get the definition of "real" bikers. You know the ones..."if you don't ride just like I do, then you're not a real biker."

Ride safe.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:09 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,673,339 times
We have known bikers through the years. Two of my DH's friends are bikers and yes....they are both way over weight. Now neither of them ride due to ailments. One fell down the steps and injured his spine. He is not confined to a wheel chair and in his 60's.
The other has had sores that won't heal and hasn't been out of the house in 3 years. He is also in his 60's.
Both these guys were something in their day. Ride to daytona in the spring, hit every dunkin donuts along the way.
The one belonged to the warlocks in Philly and broke away starting his own called the black sheep.
Their wives road with them. Well the one did anyway.
DH and myself are not bikers. No no no no no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles