Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 03:50 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
You know, the more I read the title of this thread, the more I kept coming to the same answer as you. GEAR. would be the next thing to buy.

It's funny, I used to work in a shop and would often have people tell me something like "I don't need all that gear, I don't ride fast". My standard reply was to tell them to go out on the sidewalk in their usual 'riding gear', often a T-Shirt, shorts, and no gloves, get going at a trot and take a nose-dive, come back and tell me how that worked out. I'm happy to say I believe I opened more than one pair of eyes.

I know all too well that at my age it just takes too damn long to heal. Road-rash probably won't kill you but get it in the right spot and you'll be wishing it would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Not trying to be rude but friend the first thing you need is some very good paid up medical insurance..There are 2 types of bike riders. "those who have fallen and busted their arse and those who have not fallen YET and bused their arse" ask anyone who has been riding for several years.
You're a little mixed up.

'There are those who have dropped their bikes, and there are those who have yet to drop their bikes.' A drop is at 0 MPH about.

And the other is 'There are bold riders, and there are old riders, but there are no old bold riders.'

Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You're a little mixed up.

'There are those who have dropped their bikes, and there are those who have yet to drop their bikes.' A drop is at 0 MPH about.

And the other is 'There are bold riders, and there are old riders, but there are no old bold riders.'
on all points.

You are going to drop/fall eventually.
I had a slammed Sportster that I was sitting on talking to my friend for a while. When we were parting ways, he reached over from my left to shake hands. I forgot I was on my Sporty, so when I stood up and stretched my right arm, the bike fell over. DOH !!!!
Other times, Ive gotten into a road daze after hours of highway riding and then come up to a stop sign and forgot to put my feet down for a second, never dropped it, but last-second wobbles made me realize I srsly need to refocus!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
on all points.

You are going to drop/fall eventually.
I had a slammed Sportster that I was sitting on talking to my friend for a while. When we were parting ways, he reached over from my left to shake hands. I forgot I was on my Sporty, so when I stood up and stretched my right arm, the bike fell over. DOH !!!!
Other times, Ive gotten into a road daze after hours of highway riding and then come up to a stop sign and forgot to put my feet down for a second, never dropped it, but last-second wobbles made me realize I srsly need to refocus!
Long time ago i was used to the sandy bottom of a buddies driveway. it was about like 3 tar snakes slip on the ft end entering leaned over doing a 5 MPH maybe..

One day i went there and he had new beach sand, and down i went in slow motion. I sure did bang up my pride but nothing else was damaged

I just needed to know the sand was a lot deeper than it had been. Eastern NH and or western Maine has fine beach sand far from any kind of water....

Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
There's nothing wrong with the Iron 883, good bike...and good looks. It won't have the punchyness of the 1200 sportster, but that shouldn't be a big deal, especially with a first bike. In all honesty, the only time I typically recommend getting the harley davidson over comparable bikes is if you're looking at some of the cruisers that compare well. I don't think the Honda Shadow is really on par with the sportster, specifically because the 750 bike is a pig...don't get me wrong, a HD 883 isn't much better with regards to performance, but it's still a bit better than the Honda 750.

I do like the 1300 model bikes found in the former VTX lineup, and the Fury/Saber line but even still they're not exactly performers compared to the 1800cc engine that Honda used to offer in the VTX model. The 1200 evolution engine isn't a big performer either, but you'll likely find other redeeming qualities about the HD Product that you'll likely enjoy over the Honda bikes. Biggest HD pro's i hear from buddies are metal fenders, and tons of customization options available.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
I will again highly recommend the Triumph Bonneville for an outstanding first bike. The price is nice, the resale is strong, they are bulletproof, and they basically do everything well (handling, engine performance, braking, short hops & distance riding). If you like a sportier look, there's the Thruxton version too.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 06-10-2013, 09:42 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Hey everyone - this past weekend I took and passed Indiana's version of the Motorcycle BRC - Beginner Rider's Course (by ABATE) - It was excellent and I had a lot of fun and also learned a lot. Now I am trying to figure out what to get Bike-wise. The Harley-Davidson Iron 883 looks like an awesome value and looks cool and according to one fellow classmate: you should just get a Harley, if you don't you will always wish you had! According to another classmate, Harley's break down frequently or need a lot of maintenance. According to yet another, they thought Sport-bikes were the greatest! We practiced and tested on Suzuki GN125's which were fun but honestly I had never ridden anything else in my life, so my experience is limited. I'm scratching my head here - so many darned choices! Any advice?

Start with a moped and work your way up from there AFTER you have lots of experience on the road in real traffic otherwise you are a danger to yourself and others.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Start with a moped and work your way up from there AFTER you have lots of experience on the road in real traffic otherwise you are a danger to yourself and others.
Mopeds are dangerous in and of themselves in traffic.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I will again highly recommend the Triumph Bonneville for an outstanding first bike. The price is nice, the resale is strong, they are bulletproof, and they basically do everything well (handling, engine performance, braking, short hops & distance riding). If you like a sportier look, there's the Thruxton version too.

Posted with TapaTalk

The Sportsters do, to me, still look better even though I love the way the Bonnie looks which not everyone does. The Sportster also sounds better. In most other way, the Bonneville's a better bike. But there really are no "bad" bikes. The 883 has a lot of things that I would consider flaws, but other people love in them. For example, it's near to hardtail. You can swap in the rear shocks off a RK, however, for pretty cheap which helps the ride out a lot.

When you get tired of riding around with something that's not much faster than a EX300, it's really easy to punch the 883 out and convert them to a 1200. Fuel injection makes it a bit harder than it used to be, but still right around $1,000. It's cheaper than what Harley charges for the 1200, plus you get the shorter 883 gearing.

There's also the CB1100, Motoguzi V7. Tons of choices. The swiss army knife at a wal-mart price (Honda NC-700X) also intrigues me. Touring enduro scooter and somehow it pulls it off.

Last edited by Malloric; 06-10-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 11:33 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What's the reasoning behind this? Riding around in traffic on something that can barely go the speed limit doesn't sound very safe to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles