Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM

364 posts, read 560,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The concern is less about YOU and YOUR ability to ride...
than it is about the nature of traffic in most areas today compared to then.

You see it in your car I'm sure but try really looking for it.
The raw number of cars, the number per traffic lane, the general stupidity and obliviousness.
This is absolutely something to consider. I do think that motorcycling can be enjoyed safely in today's traffic. I do it. However, it isn't the same as back in the day. There are more cars on the road period. There are also more distractions from driving than ever. It seems that until someone directly known to some people dies, they simply WILL NOT get it that texting and driving is dangerous. It's quite ironic that these are often the same people who will be the first to look down on drunk drivers.

I still think you should do it. For me, the benefits vastly outweigh the worries. You just have to never let your guard down. The #1 thing to remember is that people are stupid. Remember this, act accordingly, and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,373 times
All other things being equal, I'd say go for it! I'm 63 and planning a last grand trip myself in a year or two, health cooperating.

One suggestion that may or may not suit you, - think about a maxi-scooter instead of a bike. I primarily ride scooters due to an old ankle injury. More recently, some arthritis in my hands has definitely made a manual shift ride undesirable, especially on longer rides.

My current ride is a Honda Silverwing and its very pleasant for long distance touring and I can comfortably handle the weight (550 Lbs.) with my bad back. Its perfectly capable on super slabs if you want to ride them.

(I don't, why ride long distances with boring scenery?) The secondaries have (usually) less traffic, which is your greatest risk factor by far.

Another really capable touring scooter is Suzuki's Burgman 650, its probably the ultimate tourer if you can handle the weight (615ish). I couldn't and the SW suits me fine.

Both are available with excellent luggage setups. They offer great weather protection, ABS brakes, very high degrees of reliability and are pleasant for back roads or longer journeys.

BMW has a new super maxi pair, the 650 GT or 600 Sport (same engine, just different configurations). They are new this year, pricey and I can't offer any real comments on them.

As I said up top - go for it!!! Ride safe .

Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM

This is from another thread, but I'm putting it here to make certain the OP sees it.

"I responded to a thread of yours today to try and help you make a good decision and perhaps elevate your quality of life. Reading this older thread has shown that you don't want to hear other peoples' opinions that know what they talk about from experience. I guess reading is a problem for you too. The guy answered the question thoroughly, and honestly. He knows what he's talking about too. I guess you aren't interested in hearing a differing opinion from your own, however.

I would advise you to stay away from motorcycles. Would you like to know why? Because the "dangerous" motorcycle isn't the "crotch rocket" (man, how I despise that term). It's the one you ride irresponsibly. How a motorcycle that accelerates quicker, stops quicker, and turns quicker than another type can be "more dangerous" is beyond me. It's attached to you. It doesn't make its own decisions.

Again, stay away from motorcycles. With your attitude, you're likely to get hurt, or hurt someone else."

*EDIT* To answer the original question, some of both.

Last edited by Liquid Sword; 07-11-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Lots of good info here (not sure what the above post is about) but I am definitely not a fan of Crotch rockets since many of the riders are newbies and those bikes are way too fast for any newbie.
That being said, I have always wanted a Harley and the 883 is the lightest Harley available so that would suit me best.
Because of some suggestions I have decided to not ride all the way to the West coast but will trailer the bike out West and take day rides for my touring. A cross country trip from NC to CA would probably be kind of boring and hell on my back.
I am not going to jump right in and do this . I will do some local riding and once I have a few thousand miles under my belt I will plan a trip.
Thanks to all who contributed.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,262,373 times
Hey PDD - that sounds like a well considered plan. There is an excellent rider website -Adventure Rider (Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum) that has a huge number of folks all over the country, specfiic tips on day rides, places to stay, etc.

You can post a trip plan thread and ask locals advice. Might be worth your time. I've used it for some of my own longer trips and/or unfamiliar territory. Great bunch of helpful people. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:02 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
2nd ADV (I've been a member there for nearly a decade now) ~ probably the Best group of people I've found on the web since I first started hitting BBSes back in the mid 1980's. Stay out of Yo Mama! (it's the mosh-pit/rough house area) and the worst you'll run into is some friendly sarcasm

The regional forums were great until I moved to GA... and I think NC is thrown in with GA (as well as 6 or 7 other states, all the SE) and it's not very User friendly. But hit the tripping planning, free camp sites, tent space (which, more often than not, is really a spare bed in someone's home), etc... threads and there's a TON of people who will Gladly help you out. Heck, I've met up with riders in other countries and gotten local tours, a loaner bike (in Ireland), and at least as many free drinks as I've bought for others. The only real payment? Post your experiences and pictures so others can share.

If you've always wanted a HD, sounds like the decision is made. I *think* if you sign up for the Riders Edge course (a great idea to refresh you on riding skills), you can request an 883. They used to use the Buell Blast, and there may still be some around, but it never hurts to ask. Ditto with getting a demo bike out for a day (ask about a Sun-Mon demo, where you pick it up close of business on Sat and return it open of business on Mon) just to make sure it really is the bike for you.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:26 AM

"What that post was about" was the "What should I buy next" thread in which a guy asks what starter motorcycle he should purchase. In it, you made some ethno-centric lame comment about no other bikes being equal to a Harley Davidson, with no supportive evidence.

Brian, being the nice guy he seems to be, and a professional motorcycle mechanic with years of riding experience at that, presented several paragraphs of extremely valuable information and insight coming from a veteran rider. You dismissed everything he said, insulted him, and implied that "no one wants to read a mountain of trash" (paraphrasing here) and that "I guess you think if you type more, it will make your words more important."

You showed a lack of character, and an attitude that isn't conducive to taking what can be a very dangerous activity seriously. Make no mistake... you can die on any type of motorcycle. And the chances increase the more you dismiss any information that isn't simply a regurgitation of what you want to hear.

My, I hope I didn't type too much...

*EDIT* And by the way, not a single person in this thread recommended a "crotch rocket." I guess "not Harley" means "sport bike?"

Old 07-12-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
"What that post was about" was the "What should I buy next" thread in which a guy asks what starter motorcycle he should purchase. In it, you made some ethno-centric lame comment about no other bikes being equal to a Harley Davidson, with no supportive evidence.

Brian, being the nice guy he seems to be, and a professional motorcycle mechanic with years of riding experience at that, presented several paragraphs of extremely valuable information and insight coming from a veteran rider. You dismissed everything he said, insulted him, and implied that "no one wants to read a mountain of trash" (paraphrasing here) and that "I guess you think if you type more, it will make your words more important."

You showed a lack of character, and an attitude that isn't conducive to taking what can be a very dangerous activity seriously. Make no mistake... you can die on any type of motorcycle. And the chances increase the more you dismiss any information that isn't simply a regurgitation of what you want to hear.

My, I hope I didn't type too much...

*EDIT* And by the way, not a single person in this thread recommended a "crotch rocket." I guess "not Harley" means "sport bike?"
You are certainly entitled to your opinion just like I am so I will leave it at that.
I see no need to debate you.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:30 PM

222 posts, read 863,196 times
@PDD - Sounds as if you're interested in the Sportster
SuperLow® model XL883L in Candy Orange/Beer Bottle.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
@PDD - Sounds as if you're interested in the Sportster
SuperLow® model XL883L in Candy Orange/Beer Bottle.

You nailed perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles