Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times

Advertisements

Be careful with the economy thinking when it comes to motorcycles because there's no truth behind it. The little bit of fuel economy a motorcycle will gain on doesn't even come close to the expenses. As a reference, my car (granted, very economical 2001 Jetta TDI/diesel) costs just a bit less than Half as much to operate on a per-mile basis. Higher up-front cost for a car, but lower operating costs. This is a smarter route for those who are looking for the most economical path, and it May be that my car will be cheaper across the board than a motorcycle once I sell it (looks like I'll be able to recoup half my purchase price).

But lets put this into simple numbers. I'll take a fairly typical cheap bike experience for me, what I believe is about as cheap as a normal person could go for a motorcycle. That's buying in the off season (GA still has one, Dec~Mar or so), and buying something that's not running and needs work. I'm spending about $1300 per bike for those, and then putting roughly $300 worth of materials (tires usually) and anywhere from 10~20 hours (which would be $600~1200 in shop rates, if not higher). So before even putting a motorcycle on the road, just to make it Safe and functional, I'm spending $1600 + time (you would be in the $2500 range). There may be some $2500 bike on the market that need nothing, but they are rare. Add in tax/tag/title/insurance for another ~$200. Then you get to think about first time rider costs, like buying gear. Trust me, you really do want to own and wear motorcycle riding gear despite the fact that it's hot, looks goofy, etc... you can't possibly control other drivers and the $500 (bare minimum) you spend on gear will almost certainly safe you that much in pain and discomfort the first time an inattentive driver does something stupid. You will be most likely to have those accidents within the first 2 years/10k miles too, just because there's a leaning process behind reading driver intentions and how to handle yourself.

So you're going to spend a minimum of $3000 just to have your first bike, legal and you taking every precaution to stay out of the hospital. Assuming you have a car that gets 25mpg, and you're paying $3.50/gallon, you're spending $0.14 per mile. That means you could drive your car 21,428 miles on the same amount of money. And that's Just the startup costs, which will carry you probably 7~10k miles before needing more money for consumables (tires) or maintenance. Just as a fun 'for reference', I'm spending 8.5 cents per mile and that same $3k would take me 35526 miles, which is more than 2 years driving.

I'm NOT trying to dissuade you, just provide some real perspective based on actual numbers. Riding a motorcycle isn't really economical. It is a Lot of fun, and for me the cost has no value for the peace and well being it brings to me. But if I were pinching pennies, it's not the route I would take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 05:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Ignore the economics. Bikes are for fun and cars to get where you are going.

Ride alert, aware and wear protective clothing and a helmet. Ride safe and have fun.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,026,627 times
You can't go wrong with a japanese standard/UJM:

Yamaha has a new one that is kind of retro: SR400

2015 Yamaha SR400 Home, information

Honda has the new CB1100 as well. Good ergonomics as well:

2014 CB1100 Overview - Honda Powersports

Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,749,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest looking around for a 500 to 700 cc used motorcycle with the pegs directly under your seat instead of the "cruiser" forward control location. I find that configuration easier to control from a stop. Make certain it has an oil cooled clutch so you can learn how to ride very slowly while slipping the clutch. Even if you have long legs be certain the seat is low enough that you can place your heels on the ground when stopped even on sloping ground. Find a bike that fits your body so you can sit straight up without crouching or stretching your arms. Extreme riding positions are a later perversion.

When you do buy a bike take it to an empty parking lot and practice low speed riding. There are several videos available to help you learn. Once you have developed confidence take the bike out on back roads and learn how to ride in light traffic. Heavy traffic and expressways are more difficult and dangerous. Wear bright clothing so the car drivers have a better chance of seeing you.

Wear some protection. A leather jacket is a good idea but leather gloves, over the ankle boots, eye glasses and a good well fitted helmet are mandatory.

In any case take your time to learn how to ride before you go play in traffic. Stay alert and most of all have fun. I have been riding for over 40 years and still enjoy every time I take the bike out.

( 2nd paragraph, last sentence )

I sure wished more bikers followed that advice.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:15 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,614,945 times
Street Triple.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
You could go with a sport touring type of bike. The Suzuki SV 650 is a good example. It's a more upright sitting style of bike but also has some get up and go like a sport bike would have.
The SVs are great bikes that will keep even an experienced rider pretty happy. Being she's said height isn't an issue I'd throw the 650 V-Strom into the mix too.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
Why not try a 30 year old Goldwing? Bullet proof bikes made to last 300,000 miles plus. I bought a 1982 1100 Goldwing for $650 a few weeks ago in fine condition. Figure you might (probably) will drop the first bike once.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:37 PM

362 posts, read 560,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Why not try a 30 year old Goldwing? Bullet proof bikes made to last 300,000 miles plus. I bought a 1982 1100 Goldwing for $650 a few weeks ago in fine condition. Figure you might (probably) will drop the first bike once.
Thanks for the suggestion, that would explain why I find so many "classics" like these for sale. Never knew they were built to last so long.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
FLgirl, if you get the bug at all, you're first bike won't be your last bike. Don't sweat too much making the perfect decision. One thing you might try-my state has a safety program for new or "curious" riders. In their most basic class, they let you use their bikes, they had a mix of mini-cruisers (Rebel 250s IIRC) and small dual sports (XT200s?). This is a great way to get some safe training and perhaps try a couple different types of bikes and see what feels right to you. (edit to add, forgot you had taken your class, had your endorsement). Personally, I don't care for cruisers-it doesn't feel natural to have to swing my legs up/forward to get on the pegs/controls. Flip side is that they are very low and easy to hold up, something that's a consideration for a new rider. Some basic though:

1) Before you decide on the bike, get the gear. ATTATG (all the gear, all the time) is good to live by. Helmet, armored jacket, boots and gloves at a minimum, and riding pants are suggested.

2) Whatever you get, buy used and put a crash bar on it. Plan on dropping the bike at some point. Don't sweat it, happens to most new riders.

3) Take training classes! They are much more readily available than when I started riding.

4) Buy something fairly low, light and comfortable to ride, as well as cheap. There are lots of great deals on used bikes. As you get experience you will figure out what you like. If you buy used, you won't lose much when/if you sell. If you find a craigslist deal that looks interesting, post it up. Plan on about a year with your first bike, and see where your interests take you. Bikes aren't like cars-there is a ton of difference in capability, riding style, size/fit to the rider and area where different ones excel. One size doesn't fit all.

5) I understand that FL actually has some cool dirt roads. Is exploring the back roads something that appeals to you? Think about a small dual sport (XT225, DRZ400 (perhaps too tall)). They are a lot of fun and generally lightweight and easy to learn on. Not to mention a lot of fun to explore out of the way places on. I spend about 1/3 of my time on gravel/dirt on my V-Strom (more if I had more time). Only thing is, little dual sports aren't the most comfortable for longer trips. Another poster suggested the Strom. Personally, I'd recommend it as your second bike rather than first. The seat is a bit tall and it's a bit heavy. Which can lead to frequent drops with a first bike. My wife is about your size and started with a KLR. It was dropped. Regularly.

Not to knock another's suggestion, but I wouldn't go for a 30 year old Goldwing as a FIRST BIKE. Even though the weight is fairly low, they are big, heavy bikes, and most new riders don't have the mechanical aptitude to maintain a 30 year old bike.

I bought a brand new Nighthawk S (CB700SC) when I first started riding in '84. Figured the same as you...didn't want to "outgrow" the bike in a few months. Guess what? I low-sided it a couple times that first year, through stupid mistakes. Should have started used, cheap and smaller. Not that it was a big bike, but would have been perfect as a second bike. BTW, loved that bike, actually toying with looking for one again, just for old times sake.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-05-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 01:17 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,022,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
You can't go wrong with a japanese standard/UJM:

Yamaha has a new one that is kind of retro: SR400

2015 Yamaha SR400 Home, information

Honda has the new CB1100 as well. Good ergonomics as well:

2014 CB1100 Overview - Honda Powersports
Why Honda hasn't released a 500-600cc version of the CB1100 is beyond me...drop the price a few thousand, and it'd sell like hot cakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles