Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 02:23 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradmelder View Post
I cant say the 1200 is an overly complex bike. It is very simple and still oil and air cooled. only 2013 got liquid cooling. The only complexity is the electronics, but then again just about all bikes have that with the exception of Harley. The injectors are also a necessity due to emission control regs which about killed off every carburetted bike.
I haven't kept up, what are they using for ABS these days? I've only had one with I guess ABS II? which was relatively simple and easy to maintain. Then they switched to the 'whizzy' brakes which had a pump and was far more complex and a real PITA to bleed. I believe that system had a (deserved) early death.

While no doubt complex in design I always found the injection system simple from a user's point of view, keep dirt and water from the system, do a good TB sync at valve adjustment and you were good to go.

Have the final drive issues been fixed with the 1200s? Seems to me when the 1200GS first came out FDs were failing quite frequently, I know the previous design also had its share of failures. Conventional wisdom seemed to be many had the large OD bearing shimmed too tight from day one leading to its eventual disintegration. It seemed if it went 50K it'd go 100K but I believe there were a fair number that didn't make 50K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 03:27 AM

45 posts, read 59,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I haven't kept up, what are they using for ABS these days? I've only had one with I guess ABS II? which was relatively simple and easy to maintain. Then they switched to the 'whizzy' brakes which had a pump and was far more complex and a real PITA to bleed. I believe that system had a (deserved) early death.

While no doubt complex in design I always found the injection system simple from a user's point of view, keep dirt and water from the system, do a good TB sync at valve adjustment and you were good to go.

Have the final drive issues been fixed with the 1200s? Seems to me when the 1200GS first came out FDs were failing quite frequently, I know the previous design also had its share of failures. Conventional wisdom seemed to be many had the large OD bearing shimmed too tight from day one leading to its eventual disintegration. It seemed if it went 50K it'd go 100K but I believe there were a fair number that didn't make 50K.
There were problems with the ABS pump until 2008. Then it got ABS II without servo assistance. Mine is an 09 and the only issue I head is the rubber seal on the ball joint above the telelever cracked. That gets sand in and the whole unit had to be replaced. I ride gravel and dirt roads a lot. I also had an intermittent headlight problem on the main beam. The seat on the back of the light had fused. BMW wanted to replace the whole light assembly but I got the seat from a scrapped bike and no problem.

The final drive I assume you mean the shaft? Some of the bikes here had to have shafts replaced but I think they didn't change the oil. The manual says not necessary but in African conditions it is changed far more frequently, especially if you ride off road. So here we do it more often than specified. Ive had no problem after 61 000 km. The assembly is expensive but if you factor in all the chain and sprocket changes you save on, and all the lube (expensive here), I guess changing the drive will only work out to be a bit more. Just all spent at one time.

I guess like any vehicle. Early models are always plagued. Over years it is sorted. That is why I am not buying an 1200 LC or the KTM 1190 for a few years. Let someone else iron out the bugs. I don't want the hassle just to look trendy

Old 11-13-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
There were problems with the ABS pump until 2008. Then it got ABS II without servo assistance. Mine is an 09 and the only issue I head is the rubber seal on the ball joint above the telelever cracked. That gets sand in and the whole unit had to be replaced. I ride gravel and dirt roads a lot. I also had an intermittent headlight problem on the main beam. The seat on the back of the light had fused. BMW wanted to replace the whole light assembly but I got the seat from a scrapped bike and no problem.
Yes, I much prefer ABS II to the system employing the pump, much simpler and if it fails you still have 'normal' non-ABS braking.

Quote:
The final drive I assume you mean the shaft? Some of the bikes here had to have shafts replaced but I think they didn't change the oil. The manual says not necessary but in African conditions it is changed far more frequently, especially if you ride off road. So here we do it more often than specified. Ive had no problem after 61 000 km. The assembly is expensive but if you factor in all the chain and sprocket changes you save on, and all the lube (expensive here), I guess changing the drive will only work out to be a bit more. Just all spent at one time.
No, I mean the ring & pinion assembly itself, reports of failures at less than 50K miles are not uncommon. What oil are you referring to that would affect shaft life? Not sure about airheads but AFAIK all the 'oilhead' twins have had driveshafts that run dry in their housing.

Quote:
I guess like any vehicle. Early models are always plagued. Over years it is sorted. That is why I am not buying an 1200 LC or the KTM 1190 for a few years. Let someone else iron out the bugs. I don't want the hassle just to look trendy
Exactly why I believe the thought of 'German engineering' being somehow innately superior to any other is mythical, they have their own problems like any other vehicle manufacturer. Advertising goes a long way, I've heard a number of non-car type people over the years cite Volvos as being safer than other cars. When questioned as to what makes that the case they usually have little to offer other than the claims of Volvo advertising.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:38 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Yes, I much prefer ABS II to the system employing the pump, much simpler and if it fails you still have 'normal' non-ABS braking.

No, I mean the ring & pinion assembly itself, reports of failures at less than 50K miles are not uncommon. What oil are you referring to that would affect shaft life? Not sure about airheads but AFAIK all the 'oilhead' twins have had driveshafts that run dry in their housing.

Exactly why I believe the thought of 'German engineering' being somehow innately superior to any other is mythical, they have their own problems like any other vehicle manufacturer. Advertising goes a long way, I've heard a number of non-car type people over the years cite Volvos as being safer than other cars. When questioned as to what makes that the case they usually have little to offer other than the claims of Volvo advertising.
My RnineT has fluid in the final drive, was replaced at 600 miles and again at 5k.

My bike is the first BMW I've had, but it's freakin' sweet so far. Build quality is superb.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
My RnineT has fluid in the final drive, was replaced at 600 miles and again at 5k.

My bike is the first BMW I've had, but it's freakin' sweet so far. Build quality is superb.

Yes, there'd better be oil in the final drive , I was referring to a post that'd said " Some of the bikes here had to have shafts replaced but I think they didn't change the oil." I believe some of the earlier twins may have had a driveshaft that ran in oil but AFAIK oil-heads and newer have driveshafts that run dry. I was just curious if that had changed.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:10 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
This video really has me scared to buy one now since it seems to be done by a former BMW service tech who is now in business for himself;

WARNING: A little salty language is used

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO7QV067s

Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
15:08 in the video, explains the rear drive failure. If BMW service can't do it properly, it is a poor design, sorry.

Anyway, ours is gone this spring. Not much sense in selling a motorcycle in the winter.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This video really has me scared to buy one now since it seems to be done by a former BMW service tech who is now in business for himself;
At best it's probably not the bike you want to own without having deep pockets or the ability to do your own maintenance/repairs.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 AM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
15:08 in the video, explains the rear drive failure. If BMW service can't do it properly, it is a poor design, sorry.

Anyway, ours is gone this spring. Not much sense in selling a motorcycle in the winter.
Funny enough people up north don't realize the market down here in FL is good year round. If anything, the dead of summer is not good for us because of the heavy heat/humidity and the frequent rain. Conversely, this time of the year is perfect riding weather, hence the reason I am in the market now.

As to the rear drive failure, I've also heard that due to a design flaw, if the clutch or brake(I forget which)system leaks, it somehow can get into the rear drive shaft and causes a major repair. Anyone heard of or experience that?

Quote:
At best it's probably not the bike you want to own without having deep pockets or the ability to do your own maintenance/repairs.
That is what I am worried about. I will not ride often enough to justify spending too much on a ride if it is not dependable and expensive to fix.
I say that because now days, it is far more dangerous than when I was riding regularly years ago. Every time you turn around, you see kids and even adults swerving on the road because they are distracted due to texting. I've even seen idiots playing video games and/or watching movies while driving.
In my Suburban they will lose, but on a bike there is little chance you are not going to be maimed.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:01 AM

2,340 posts, read 1,735,214 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is what I am worried about. I will not ride often enough to justify spending too much on a ride if it is not dependable and expensive to fix.
I say that because now days, it is far more dangerous than when I was riding regularly years ago. Every time you turn around, you see kids and even adults swerving on the road because they are distracted due to texting. I've even seen idiots playing video games and/or watching movies while driving.
In my Suburban they will lose, but on a bike there is little chance you are not going to be maimed.

This has never been my experience and I've owned 3 different BMWs as my one and only motorcycle for the last 24 years. My first, a 1983 R80 bought in 1990. Very, very reliable. I've ridden mine across the country a couple of times.

BMWs are commonly used in the nationwide Iron Butt Rally ("Iron Butt Rally Winner Does 11,799 Miles in 11'Days"). Finish results of the last Iron Butt Rally, 2013: http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2013/07-12-13.pdf

Many BMWs are listed. Don't listen to a few detractors, or even a few fans like me. Look at the data, look at the facts, then decide for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles