Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,381,713 times

Advertisements

I love riding, one of the cool things about upper east Tennessee is that we have some great spots here, we have a road course over the mountain to shady valley that is famous and people from all over come yearly to test their skills on the twisty Hwy 421 hwy, check the shady valley store website, I've been featured on their site along with hundreds of other riders. Nothing like dragging the pegs around those roads, the hard core riders are seen weekly sweeping the gravel off the turns and doing unreal speeds around the twisties with race take offs installed.

Tell us some stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 05:46 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,367,892 times
I ride, no real hard core stuff mostly sport touring.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,939,338 times
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/hi.gif (broken link) Oh... ME! ME!!!

I ride sportbikes! Female too! Not many female riders in my "neck of the woods", but that's alright. My favorite riding partner is my husband, so no lady riders near, that's okay.

I ride a GSXR600 (bored out to a 636), a Yamaha FZR600 (track prepped, so it's super light, yet still has lights and signals) and I have a track bike, a Kawasaki Ninja 500. I haven't got enough guts up to take my husbands VTX1300 out for a ride yet. But I have moved it from the driveway, into the garage! (Pretty good considering I'm a little over 100lbs! Okay... so I was impressed! )

Rcm58... are you refering to "The Dragon"? I've heard great things about that road. Lots of cops, but if you're sensible (which I hope most everyone would be), there's still great riding to be had there!

Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,126,249 times
My Wife and I used to ride our Harleys (she-Sportster...me-Low Rider) when we lived up in New England.

As the saying goes, "there are only two kinds of motorcycle riders..those who have fallen and those who haven't fallen yet!". She is in category 2 while I joined category 1 years ago.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 AM

I have never heard it called the dragon but it could be, the road i'm talking about is about 20 miles of turns from just outside of Bristol TN and goes over 2 mountains to Mountain City TN. Sunday is the big day where you'll find litterally hundreds of riders. I would love to run your GSXR 600 over it, because its geared just right and you could probably take it without useing your brakes at all.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 AM

UncleBatz I hit a german shepard doing 65mph, ran out from behind a truck, its almost like sleigh riding isn't it?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 AM

448 posts, read 1,050,816 times
The Dragon is in Deals Gap also in Tennessee I believe, I rode that one several years ago and I think we may have been on 421 last summer. Is it near Boone? We were in Bristol for the NASCAR races and brought the bikes . (Harleys) I bet those turns are a blast on the sport bikes. They are fun on the Harleys, but it's a different deal.
I am lucky that I have several girlfriends I ride with.
Quote:
As the saying goes, "there are only two kinds of motorcycle riders..those who have fallen and those who haven't fallen yet!". She is in category 2 while I joined category 1 years ago.
I always heard it as "If you haven't dropped your bike once, you haven't been riding enough" When I first started riding guys would ask me what I would do if I tipped my bike over. My answer was that I would do the same as the guys, I would get a friend to help me pick it up! However, I have laid it down in loose gravel and I have picked it up myself. Not quite sure how I did it, but I did.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:44 AM

448 posts, read 1,050,816 times
"Tell us about the time you dropped you bike" Would be a fun thread. There are alot of funny stories about that.
I just reread the posts and see that RCM did say that 451 was just out of Bristol. hmmm pay attentionnext time eh?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 AM

I dug back through my posts and found the link to pictures I had posted of the area some bikes and the store in shady valley.
A back road tour of the Tri Cities.

Make sure you blow them up by clicking in the botton right hand corner

Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
UncleBatz I hit a german shepard doing 65mph, ran out from behind a truck, its almost like sleigh riding isn't it?
OUCH! sleigh riding with a vengeance.

I leaned too far to one side on a hairpin turn and hit some black ice......ended up wrapped around a mailbox post. Was only going around 45 mph...thank God for leather!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles