Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2021, 09:32 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I gave up motorcycles to go to scootering and ebikes. With every market now being overpriced and less options in the motorcycle world. The future is in electric vehicles that include motorcycles. I use my vehicles as commute vehicles not recreation. Until the powersports industry moves to that mentality, it will lose sales to other forms of transportation.
Let's hope this never happens...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 02:25 AM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
I had to just this year. I am 75 and started riding at 15. Bad back, too many surgeries on it too and it's just too painful now for me.
Yes I miss my bike.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:16 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
It use to be that you only needed to stay off the roads between 11pm and about 3am to avoid the dopers and booze hounds.
However once texting zombies became a thing, the roads are much more dangerous 24/7 with fools reading or typing LOL, as they crash into people.

So I am down to one motorcycle, and I rarely ride anymore because it has gotten much more dangerous.

`

Old 10-09-2021, 10:58 AM

777 posts, read 503,312 times
I've thought about, for a second or two, here and there. I've been riding for 50 years, and have two bikes, a city bike and a country bike. I ride for fun, not for transportation, and I only rode to work one day a week, if that.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Give up riding

thought about it when my ribs were killing me, it was no fun to ride but I was able to fix myself and now I have no thoughts of quitting. I just bought a new triumph Tiger 900 gt and planning ahead for some longer rides.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:54 PM

979 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLcycler View Post
I have about 10 years highway experience the majority of which came 25 years ago. After a long hiatus I got back into riding 2 years ago in my mid 40's and am enjoying it a whole lot. I've put about 3500 miles on my new bike since my return to 2 wheels. I didn't quit riding for any reason other than my bike being stolen in 1996 and just decided to pass on getting another one until 2019.

Riding is so nice in Florida. I just do what I have always done... ride safely and pay extra attention when approaching intersections and left turners. Floridians love to drive fast so always paying attention. Don't care about the chance to ride helmetless... I always wear a full face model.
Intersections dont cause much trepidation for me. I'm more worried about getting hit from behind at a stop light or stop sign. I've seen three such accidents in the past two years (car to car not car to bike) all low speed impacts and you just know the driver at fault was texting or playing on their phone. At such low speeds the victim driver was not hurt but if they'd been in a motorcycle I'm sure a trip to the ER would have been needed.

Hooray for me!!!! I'm taking the R6 to Spring Mountain Motor Sports park in Pahrump on Saturday to go railing around their east track. My second favorite track of all time next to High Plains Raceway just outside of Denver.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:33 AM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
I still have one bike, my CD name. But where I live everyone is fat and out of shape and ride quads or side by sides. Even young people! A bunch of wimps. So it gets rather boring and dangerous riding two wheels at the speed I enjoy alone. Plus, bikes and parts are getting rather costly on my fixed income. But I keep riding, best exercise and motivator I know of.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:28 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I still have one bike, my CD name. But where I live everyone is fat and out of shape and ride quads or side by sides. Even young people! A bunch of wimps. So it gets rather boring and dangerous riding two wheels at the speed I enjoy alone. Plus, bikes and parts are getting rather costly on my fixed income. But I keep riding, best exercise and motivator I know of.
Ok, you've got a bike that has a dwindling parts supply. You also like to "pick up the pace." This leaves only a few options for you.
Since I'm familiar with your area, I can say "take it to the track."

Cahuilla MX track is in Anza (Right across Hwy371 from Motoventues.) There's 2 places for you.

South of there, you have FOX Raceway in Pala (My home track.) If you see a fat guy on a 701 on the Vet track, that's likely me!

If you want to pick-up-the-pace, then please ride with a group. This is a fun group...
https://advrider.com/f/threads/hump-...shine.1329592/

Old 11-20-2021, 11:49 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I started riding in the late '70s and may be on my final bike. It's a "geriatric" Harley with three wheels. I bought it fifteen years after retiring from riding.

I know some people don't call that true biking but I'd rather be out there on three than sitting home on those perfect riding days.

I bought some good accidental death insurance and the premium was cut by half when I hit seventy so I had it in mind to quit on my seventieth birthday. But spring came and the bikes would go by. There would go my deadline. Then another, and another.

You people writing here are the ones who understand how it "gets in your blood". And the feeling I get when I'm out with the breeze riding the twisties and valleys isn't one I've been able to duplicate doing anything else.

We're a college town and the driving habits have become criminal. Sometimes it feels like taking my life into my hands running an errand. But we're on the edge of town and I can slip out the garage and be on a river road in minutes where I just putt along smelling the woods and wildflowers and leave my cares littering the ditches as I go.

My skills have been good and I'm cautious as long as I don't ride when I'm tired or at night. I notice the mistakes I'm making are coming more frequently. So far, so good in avoiding the crowded situations which may be problematic. If any of my loved ones makes a suggestion I'll probably go with the plan.

Until then I'm satisfied with my choice. I've just had to add a few adjustments around it.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:26 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,150,232 times
Every time I even look at my bike, I feel like a little kid who got everything I ever wanted at Christmas. It would take a LOT for me to give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles