Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 05:29 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
2016 Mustang GT 0-60..... 4.6 seconds

Quarter mile......12.9 seconds @ 110 mph.

http:// http://www.motortrend.com/ca...t-test-review/
Just posting magazine info, or are you making a point? Because even with those weak street tire magazine numbers, that shows a car that would walk all over a bike in the thirteen's or five something second 60mph time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 03:53 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Just posting magazine info, or are you making a point? Because even with those weak street tire magazine numbers, that shows a car that would walk all over a bike in the thirteen's or five something second 60mph time.
.........I never said a Harley was faster than a Mustang GT, I said it was comparable to a Mustang GT.

Which they are.

Some models are a little quicker (CVO Models, VRods, etc)

Some are a little slower (Full Dressers)

So what your point in arguing is....I have no idea.

Oh and BTW, I don't know about where you live, but where I live the "average grocery getter " is maybe a Chevy Suburban or a Honda CRV......neither. are exactly known for their 0-60 prowess.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
.........I never said a Harley was faster than a Mustang GT, I said it was comparable to a Mustang GT.

Which they are.

Some models are a little quicker (CVO Models, VRods, etc)

Some are a little slower (Full Dressers)

So what your point in arguing is....I have no idea.

Oh and BTW, I don't know about where you live, but where I live the "average grocery getter " is maybe a Chevy Suburban or a Honda CRV......neither. are exactly known for their 0-60 prowess.
My argument is that it is not comparable. How many years have you spent around different types of auto racing?
In my time I have learned the real world differences between differing levels of performance.
The actual outcome of putting a 95mph trap vehicle against a 110mph trap vehicle is massive at many different starting speeds.
Motorcycles have the greatest advantage from a dead hook and suffer from poor aero and less power to weight advantage as speed increases, causing them to be less effective against cars at speed. My point is that the two just are not comparable for speed, handling or even acceleration.

I'm aware some are quicker. I've owned two VRods, one 03 anniversary and a screaming eagle model with performance upgrades. Neither was a real match for any high hp car, beyond going from a dig for a short distance.

When I say grocery getter, it is in regards to performance vehicles, I'm speaking about mild performance street cars, not high end or high hp builds.
I should hope a Harley is quicker than a civic or suburban, if that's all your insisting , then of course that's true.
My point is, there is a very very small number of buyers that are even going to consider a Harley on the merits of power and speed.
The new gen performance cars will shut down almost every Harley in existence in those categories.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
Are the old Japbikes smoother? Yep, the in line 4s were smooth, were they reliable? defiantly. But its like someone asking you would you like to ride in a 757 or a B17 bomber, the B17 is unheated, loud and vibrates a lot. But you would have to be crazy to say no to the B17. Its way cooler.

Sure, id go for a ride in a B17, but I wouldn't want to ride on one every day. Same with a Harley, fun once in a while but for everyday use, nah.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
My argument is that it is not comparable. How many years have you spent around different types of auto racing?
In my time I have learned the real world differences between differing levels of performance.
The actual outcome of putting a 95mph trap vehicle against a 110mph trap vehicle is massive at many different starting speeds.
Motorcycles have the greatest advantage from a dead hook and suffer from poor aero and less power to weight advantage as speed increases, causing them to be less effective against cars at speed. My point is that the two just are not comparable for speed, handling or even acceleration.

I'm aware some are quicker. I've owned two VRods, one 03 anniversary and a screaming eagle model with performance upgrades. Neither was a real match for any high hp car, beyond going from a dig for a short distance.

When I say grocery getter, it is in regards to performance vehicles, I'm speaking about mild performance street cars, not high end or high hp builds.
I should hope a Harley is quicker than a civic or suburban, if that's all your insisting , then of course that's true.
My point is, there is a very very small number of buyers that are even going to consider a Harley on the merits of power and speed.
The new gen performance cars will shut down almost every Harley in existence in those categories.

Who said anything about race cars?

You are arguing a point that is not only irrelevant, but also not a position that I am stating.
I'm not the one who brought up performance, I was simply responding to another poster who did.

Fact is that the vast majority of Harley buyers/ owners couldn't give a wet slap about performance specs. ....

I simply pointed out that "slow" is a relative concept......which it is.
And that the "average" Harley is quicker than most vehicals on the road (the "average vehical" being a Toyota Camry or an SUV) in the same way that a Mustang GT is faster than the "average" vehical ....which they are.

And I doubt most people think of "performance vehicles" when they hear the term "grocery getter".

My overall point here, that was originally directed at another poster, is that the fact that Harleys are slow by Sport Bike standards is irrelevant to anyone who isn't a Sport Bike owner.

But if you want to continue to be argumentative for argument's sake.....have at it.

Last edited by FatBob96; 05-16-2017 at 06:05 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Sure, id go for a ride in a B17, but I wouldn't want to ride on one every day. Same with a Harley, fun once in a while but for everyday use, nah.
Some feel the same way about sport bikes.

Sure, it'd be fun to play with a bike with that much power and handling....

But you really can't use all of it to it's full potential on the street and like the saying goes..." it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast that to ride a fast bike slow" (or car...whatever)

That and my back would never put up with a sport bike riding position for very long.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:28 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:

But you really can't use all of it to it's full potential on the street and like the saying goes..." it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast that to ride a fast bike slow" (or car...whatever)

That and my back would never put up with a sport bike riding position for very long.
I'm the complete opposite. My legs start to hurt splayed out riding a cruiser. Don't have that problem on my GSX-R.

I'll be the first to admit though, I'll never be able to stretch her legs out around here. I've topped out around 100 on empty road and that's about it. In traffic? Forget it. The maneuverability comes in handy though, there's some pretty decent twisty back roads that are fun.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about race cars?

You are arguing a point that is not only irrelevant, but also not a position that I am stating.
I'm not the one who brought up performance, I was simply responding to another poster who did.

Fact is that the vast majority of Harley buyers/ owners couldn't give a wet slap about performance specs. ....

I simply pointed out that "slow" is a relative concept......which it is.
And that the "average" Harley is quicker than most vehicals on the road (the "average vehical" being a Toyota Camry or an SUV) in the same way that a Mustang GT is faster than the "average" vehical ....which they are.

And I doubt most people think of "performance vehicles" when they hear the term "grocery getter".

My overall point here, that was originally directed at another poster, is that the fact that Harleys are slow by Sport Bike standards is irrelevant to anyone who isn't a Sport Bike owner.

But if you want to continue to be argumentative for argument's sake.....have at it.
You are taking it all wrong. Take a breath.
I said if your contention is that most Harley's are quicker than most Camrys or SUVs, then of course, that's true.
My argument was that performance wise they are not "comparable" to new performance cars. No need to get bunched up. I come from a lifetime in the racing and performance community, hence the term grocery getter, junk, beater, etc , often being applied to lower end performance vehicle builds.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Hooyah, I subscribe to the fun slow car mantra one in a while, but they have to be handlers. I never did like my VRods for handling. I was constantly countersteering to hit hard turns. That and the seating position and wind buffeting beat me up after long rides.
I really prefer a good standard bike, while I gave been long term comfortable in sport bikes like my old zx11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I'm the complete opposite. My legs start to hurt splayed out riding a cruiser. Don't have that problem on my GSX-R.

I'll be the first to admit though, I'll never be able to stretch her legs out around here. I've topped out around 100 on empty road and that's about it. In traffic? Forget it. The maneuverability comes in handy though, there's some pretty decent twisty back roads that are fun.
Same here.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Hooyah, I subscribe to the fun slow car mantra one in a while, but they have to be handlers. I never did like my VRods for handling. I was constantly countersteering to hit hard turns. That and the seating position and wind buffeting beat me up after long rides.
I really prefer a good standard bike, while I gave been long term comfortable in sport bikes like my old zx11.

Same here.
VRods weren't built to be great handling bikes...too much rake.

I always thought of them more of a drag or "pro street" inspired muscle cruiser.

A surprisingly good handling Harley (relatively speaking) is the Dyna Fat Bob.

(But I'm admittedly a little biased towards them lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles