Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,778 times

Advertisements

Are you thinking of using this motorcycle for a commuter vehicle?

Part of the determining factor for getting a bike is what you plan to use it for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post

Again, though, my budget for the bike is somewhere around $5K. Again, the gear is already taken care of. I appreciate the encouragement to wear protective gear. I assure all of you though, that there won't be a single time when I ride without a helmet. There hasn't been up to this point, and there never will be. I really don't want to damage the only thing I've got going for me (my brain)! I really can't afford to spend more than that, as the wife and I will be moving across the country next year, and we need some money for both the move and a downpayment on a house. And, insurance isn't as huge of a deal as it could be... I'm 25 now, so my insurance has gone down, and I've never been in an accident.

on your helmet decision!

Don't neglect other gear, even 3MPH road-rash can hurt like the dickens!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
I would say the Kaw. 500 would be a good bike and also the Suz. SV 650. there are many to choose from.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM

389 posts, read 1,075,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post

Part of the determining factor for getting a bike is what you plan to use it for.
Partially, yes. But I also want something that's fun to ride. I'm beginning to reach the point in my career where I can actually have fun and go on trips... the wife and I are still struggling, financially, but mainly because we're putting $500+/month in savings, even after we put away for retirement... I anticipate this amount will drop by a couple hundred a month after we buy the bike, hence why I'm waiting until close to the end of this year, or early part of next year, to buy a bike.

Burdell, I can only imagine... I've only fallen once, and I was only going a few miles per hour... still, it did hurt. Not a whole lot, but it did still hurt. Thanks for the advice, though! It's still much appreciated! DOT and Snell approved FTW!

One last question for everybody, I'm sure this is the case, but I can get a much better deal on a bike if I buy it in the winter, right? If I buy a new one, can I haggle the dealership down to a lower than normal price? I would assume that is the case, but it would be nice to know how some of you all got your bikes.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:14 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Burdell, I can only imagine... I've only fallen once, and I was only going a few miles per hour... still, it did hurt. Not a whole lot, but it did still hurt. Thanks for the advice, though! It's still much appreciated! DOT and Snell approved FTW!
What I usually tell doubters who don't believe is the next time you're walking down a nice abrasive side-walk, take a dive, usually gets their attention

On the DOT/Snell issue there's been some controversy. I've read a few articles, one by a neurosurgeon, that presented a well reasoned case for DOT. I can't remember all the details, I'm sure a search would turn up much material, the basic point was that DOT was a little more brain friendly, by the time Snell standards would apply your head would pretty much be mush anyway

Last edited by burdell; 01-10-2009 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-10-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
One last question for everybody, I'm sure this is the case, but I can get a much better deal on a bike if I buy it in the winter, right? If I buy a new one, can I haggle the dealership down to a lower than normal price? I would assume that is the case, but it would be nice to know how some of you all got your bikes.
Around here there isn't much difference in price in winter if at all, I can't stand dealers, I like to buy used, many people buy a bike on a urge then never ride them so you can get a great deal on a very unused bike, mosy of mine I've bought have been used with less than 2000 miles and I've never had a problem. Plus you can save plenty of money for all the good safety gear you should wear.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What I usually tell doubters who don't believe is the next time you're walking down a nice abrasive side-walk, take a dive, usually gets their attention

On the DOT/Snell issue there's been some controversy. I've read a few articles, one by a neurosurgeon by a neurosorgeon, that presented a well reasoned case for DOT. I can't remember all the details, I'm sure a search would turn up much material, the basic point was that DOT was a little more brain friendly, by the time Snell standards would apply your head would pretty much be mush anyway
What I've read is that the shell on the snell rated helmet is much harder than DOt standards, what research has shown is that the softer shell absorbes the impact better and transferes less impact to the brain, it makes sense to me. getting the right fit is pretty important, I learned that the hard way. A nice snug fit is a good thing.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Partially, yes. But I also want something that's fun to ride. I'm beginning to reach the point in my career where I can actually have fun and go on trips... the wife and I are still struggling, financially, but mainly because we're putting $500+/month in savings, even after we put away for retirement... I anticipate this amount will drop by a couple hundred a month after we buy the bike, hence why I'm waiting until close to the end of this year, or early part of next year, to buy a bike.

Generally, anything you're dealing on is going to be had at a better price, of you're dealing during the off-season.

Basically, I never buy anything new. But I did buy my latest cycle new, because Kawasaki ran such an incredible deal at the time. It was in May of 2005, and they had knocked (if I remember right) about $2,500 off the list price for that month. I'm not sure if the company itself was over-produced, or whether they were trying to get more Kawasakis under more riders. So I ended up getting a 1500cc V-Twin - brand new - for under $9,000. I've been very happy with the cycle.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:06 AM

389 posts, read 1,075,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

On the DOT/Snell issue there's been some controversy. I've read a few articles, one by a neurosurgeon by a neurosorgeon, that presented a well reasoned case for DOT. I can't remember all the details, I'm sure a search would turn up much material, the basic point was that DOT was a little more brain friendly, by the time Snell standards would apply your head would pretty much be mush anyway
How about I just cover my bases by having one that's both DOT and Snell approved?

Old 01-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
How about I just cover my bases by having one that's both DOT and Snell approved?
Yeah. You know, the bottom line is that everything carries its inherent risks. Motorcycle riding is no different.

I've had plenty of people tell me I'm basically committing suicide by owning and riding a cycle. And that's fine, but they're not looking at all the factors.

The vast majority of accidents involve cyclists who have been riding for 6 months or less. Well, I'm about 30 years beyond that now. Also, a disproportionate number of motorcycle accidents involve Crotch Rockets, and also involve young people who are racing and/or have been drinking.

So you remove those two factors, and the picture changes radically. Riding my cycle is not as safe as sitting in my living room, in a recliner. But it's hardly a death-wish.

Use good common sense and you should have years of great riding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles