Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

I know I am letting myself in for some laughs but I am planning to buy a used m'cycle in the fall (they are cheaper in the fall) and need help deciphering the names, letters and numbers.

I want a touring bike, but not a cruiser, with a shaft drive and large enough to carry two overweight people. I have looked at used BMW but the inexpensive ones are quite old and I want a rider not a repair project. Older Honda Gold wings would also fit the task.

Are their any other makes and models of shaft drive (I do not want to fuss with chain drive) motorcycles out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
Well, you've got plenty to choose from. From Suzuki there is the Boulevard S40, C50T & C90T. From Kawasaki there is the Concours and the Vulcan, but I think the Concours is really almost like a GW. From Yamaha there is a bunch. From the Royal Star down to the V-Star. They are really great bikes, that have a cruiser "look", but are really touring bikes for the most part.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
What's the drama of a chain? All that's needed is a lube every few hundred miles. Takes about two minutes. Motorcycles are a very tactile ownership experience. If you aren't comfortable doing some basic maintenance, there isn't much need to get a tourer, as you shouldn't be out in the middle of nowhere. Either that, or have a big bank balance.

The problem with old shaft driven bikes is that you don't know how well they were maintained over the course of their life. Yes they have to be maintained. They are low maintenance, not NO mainentance.

Google BMW drive failure and see what happens when a primary goes.

You are really limited as to a non-Cruiser shaft drive, except for the Wing, the BMW LT, Kawasaki K14 Concours and Moto Guzzi Norge are about all that I can think of right now.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I've been riding shaft-drive bikes since 1978 (starting with the Yamaha XS11) and have NEVER had a breakdown of the drive (but I've never had a BMW). I am sold on them. A chain hanging out in the elements on a long trip doesn't seem like a good idea to me. The Yamaha 650 I got caught on in blowing dust in New Mexico didn't fare too well.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:12 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
I'm not knocking them, but at the same time, I've ridden thousands of miles, and I've never had a chain fail me either. However if it ever did, I could take a spare master link and be on the road in a few minutes. I can't say the same about the spline end on a GW shaft.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 AM

I've never had a chain completely fail me, but I've come limping home from out of state with a funky chain and chewed-up sprockets. I suppose it all depends on what you want to do with a bike. I've also been told that modern chains are much better than the older ones. They are light, efficient, and easy to change overall gear ratios with (sprocket changes).

FYI, the shaft-driven bikes I've had are the Yamaha XS11, a Suzuki GS1000G (I put 129K miles on it!), and my current bike, a 1984 Honda V65 Sabre with 97K miles.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 AM

I had a '73 BMW R75-5 that I rode for 15 years, including SF to NYC, and over 80 k miles. The rear drive never leaked or failed. The base seals on the cylinders oozed enough oil to be always messy. I didn’t mind because the thieves will always take the shiny bike and leave the dingy one alone. I am an experienced mechanic that likes to fuss as little as possible so I prefer the shaft drive. If I ever get a dual purpose bike for use in the desert southwest it will likely be a 500cc or larger twin cylinder machine with a sealed chain drive. I do know what sand can do to chain and sprockets. They are effectively expendable.

My main needs are to have the foot pegs under the seat so I can navigate the occasional really ratty road standing on the pegs. I plan on using this bike in New England for general riding and occasional overnight trips.

Thank you for the list of possible rides. Please keep them coming.

GregW

Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
What's the drama of a chain? All that's needed is a lube every few hundred miles. Takes about two minutes. Motorcycles are a very tactile ownership experience. If you aren't comfortable doing some basic maintenance, there isn't much need to get a tourer, as you shouldn't be out in the middle of nowhere. Either that, or have a big bank balance.

The problem with old shaft driven bikes is that you don't know how well they were maintained over the course of their life. Yes they have to be maintained. They are low maintenance, not NO mainentance.

Google BMW drive failure and see what happens when a primary goes.

You are really limited as to a non-Cruiser shaft drive, except for the Wing, the BMW LT, Kawasaki K14 Concours and Moto Guzzi Norge are about all that I can think of right now.
This is all excellent advice, mikeyyc, and I can't, for the life of me understand why the OP excluded belt drive bikes... Suzuki makes a terrific one.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Belt drive seems to me to be an excellent compromise between shaft and chain, although I'm sure it has its minuses too.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 AM

I forgot belt drive existed. Are they used by anybody but Harley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles