Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 AM

143 posts, read 741,769 times

Advertisements

an older GR 650. bulletproof, and good to use in longer trips too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Another option, assuming a large strong rider, that you won't outgrow, is any older Gold Wing, 4-cylinder version. Although, the secrets of handling a large motorcycle in tight quarters and slow speeds is any of the "ride like a cop" classes, a 90 pounder who knows these techniques can handle the GW just fine, while a guy who tries to muscle it around won't do as well, even if strong as a bull. Once a bike is up to speed, a big bike is no harder to ride than a small one.

The Suzuki 650s - either the naked one or the faired one - are good too, as is the Kawasaki 500 Ninja 2-cylinder, all of these are a bit small for 2 full size passengers, but would be worth keeping around as a fun bike.

The old Honda Rebel 250 is a decent bike, but I wouldn't want to ride one on the Interstate much. I just don't like pushing the bike to max speed or nearly all the time. The 450 Rebel, made fewer years than the 250, is a very good beginners bike, and big/fast enough to not outgrow it quickly.

That said, if I had a Rebel 250 available, I might start riding it to work as the MPG is really excellent, you would have to try one to see the point, but they don't feel "gutless", the engine makes good torque, on back roads it's a decent ride, even for a fairly large guy, or someone with a lot of experience.

Yet another way to go is a recent model Sportster, not a small bike and a ham-handed noob can get in over his head quickly, but it is H-D if you care about that, they are simple and easy to maintain, good looking, decent handling, good resale value so if you want to sell on you will get most of your money back.

Comment on parts for older bikes - Yamaha is the worst, and Honda the best, about supporting their older units.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:19 PM

134 posts, read 302,457 times
As other posters have said, the Rebel is (IMO) a good beginner's bike. Don't spend a lot of money on your first bike - you may well want to change it after a year or so. After that, what you buy depends on what you want to do with it.

I have (at present) a BMW R1100RT and a K1200LT. When I first bought the R1100, (I had a Triumph Thunderbird immediately before that) it seemed huge. I got used to it.

The K1200LT is the heaviest production machine on the road. It too was huge after the R1100 (and when I got back on the 1100, it seemed like a toy - 220lb lighter.

When the K12 is upright, the force needed to keep it upright is about 5lb. - If it goes over to one side (when stationary -, it's supposed to go on one side when it goes around corners ) then the force required to keep it upright rapidly becomes impossible. The bike weighs 850 lb dry. - So don't get it out of balance.

It's not possible to pick it up when it falls over (but there is a trick ... I've seen a (not very large) lady get a K12 off its side and upright ... you don't use your back.

Whatever you buy (as a first bike) don't skimp on the gear!

I cringe when I see people riding around with no or 'silly' helmets, no gloves, no boots, no protective clothing.

I wear a full-face Schuberth helmet (one of the few helmets which has sound protection sufficiently adequate to be classed [under German industrial health law] as 'not needing additional hearing protection'.)

The son of a friend of mine came off a bike a few years ago. He was wearing an open-face helmet. Fortunately, he was in a coma and he never regained consciousness. He lost his lower jaw and his upper teeth. The road surface is every bit as rough in summer as it is in winter.

You need boots which cover your ankles. (Ankle bones tend to get a hammering!)

Wear leather gloves ALWAYS. - Skin doesn't wear very well, there's not a lot of 'meat' on your hands, they don't heal well and you only get one set.

I wear a Nubuk leather 2-piece (zips together ) suit. It's thick leather, well-padded, waterproof, cost a small fortune and would probably last for 3 or 4 seconds sliding along a road. Ocasionally I wear a lightweight armoured jacket (nowhere near as good, but better than nothing) and either plain leather trousers or jeans with Kevlar reinforcement. The Kevlar doesn't wear through very quickly, (my son tested his) but it gets very hot and you can expect burns. Furthermore, bare (unpadded, unarmoured leather) provides no impact protection ... expect quite a bit of bruising if you come off. (I intend to 'modify' the jeans and the plain leather trousers by fitting armoured inserts.)

I can wear my leather suit (reasonably comfortably) in temperatures up to about 85'F (provided it's not humid.) If it gets hotter, I don't ride.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I will take the training class since my parents are scared now that I wish to be on a bike. Had a family friend die in a crash on a motorcycle do to ice on the road and a fast turn. I am short around 5'5'' and weight in around 182lb. As to strength i'll say I'm below average since at work I can not even hold a 64lb box for more than 3 minutes before giving in.

For brand I would like something not fast since I wan't it for the freedom and wind in my hair and am not the kind to worry about how long it takes to get from point a to point b. Something that can get me around town and even to other city's since I have family that live a few city's away. Looking for bikes under $5,000 if there are any.
I have a 2004 Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom. They can be found quite reasonably priced used. Look for one with a stage 1 upgrade and you will have plenty of power, a nice ride, and excellent mpg (I average mid 50s).

I have my bike set up with a detachable windshield, touring seat and rear luggage rack. I frequently take it on 500+ mile cruises. This year my friend, who has a Sportster 883, and I are planning a 2000 mile cruise to Sturgis.

Good luck with your shopping.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:10 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
My first piece of advice would be buy a decent bike from the start. I bought two or three crappy $500 bikes that weren't safe, didn't ride well, hard to learn on, would have cost a lot more to get into dcent shape.

I finally picked up a 94 SUzuki VS 800 aka intruder. 805cc but only weighs like 440lbs. Relatievely low center of gravity. Glad I got it, not too much power to learn on but enough it will last me for a few years though I am wantin to upgrade to like a 1300.

If you like cruisres I really like the v stars maybe a 750 or something. Very low center of gravity, nice style, i really like them.

I do like that my bike has a shaft drive, im not very handy so its no maintenance besides getting the oil changed once a year, no titening chains, oiling chains, loose belts, etc.

I know alot of younger people are into sport bikes. im younger but like cruisrs. i considered sport bieks but man are they uncomfortable imho. I've only tried one but my feet were behind me heels of my feet pointing backwards, stretched out, very racy style, i felt totally out of control and hated it.

Ive had 3 buddies buy sport bieks having never ridden one before and all three never even started riding and eithr took a loss or still have sitting in theri garage

Old 04-19-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Honda Rebel
dont get a rebel, you'll outgrow it in like 3 weeks nad then get hosed on resale. at least get a 500 or 650 it will last you a few years but still small enougb to get started on safetly

Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
IMO, ironically, cruisers are NOT all that comfortable over long distances. whereas a crotch rocket leans you forward and wears out your wrists and knees, a cruiser puts you back on your tailbone, which will get just as sore just as fast. if you want to go long distances, you want something that sits you somewhat upright with your feet basically straight down or slightly behind you. adventure bikes are made to be ridden great lengths at a time, so that would be a good place to start. these would be bikes like the Kawasaki Versys, the Suzuki V-Strom, several different kinds of BMWs, etc. some naked bikes aren't bad on ergos, but the wind buffeting can get old real fast. sport tourers are great, but many are not what i would consider a good starter bike. i have a 2004 Honda VFR and find it's PHENOMENALLY comfy over long distances, but it's a heavy bike and has a bit more power than i would recommend you get into at this time.

aside from the Rebel, one bike you may want to look at is the Honda Nighthawk. it's a standard-style bike (kinda cruiser-ish, but not really). it's VERY comfy and very newb-friendly. even the 750cc version is not all that powerful, but will be plenty of bike for you for years to come. my brother started on one and rode it for years with no trouble other than routing maintenance.

Mike
Hey, just as of recently I can't stop looking at these Triumph Scramblers sounds like the style your desribing somewhat. You have any experience with these? I posted a post here a week or so ago but didnt get many responses

Old 04-19-2011, 02:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
The high pipes are likely to interfere with saddlebags/luggage/passenger. If that's not a consideration, go for it if you like the style. I like the low-piped versions better myself. They have a drive chain which has to be attended to, but it's not an insurmountable hassle. My shaft drive has spoiled me.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:50 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
They have a drive chain which has to be attended to, but it's not an insurmountable hassle. My shaft drive has spoiled me.
Dupont Teflon chain lube is your friend. No mess, no hassle, and takes about 30 seconds.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
It isn't the lubing that is a hassle, it's the adjusting. An exposed chain is not well suited IMO for a long distance bike. I'll never forget the 2000-mile trip I took on my Yamaha 650 way back when. I got into a dust storm, and the poor chain and both sprockets were toast by the time I got home. I know that chains, etc have improved a lot since then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles