Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM

436 posts, read 1,523,561 times

Advertisements

I went to the theater on sunday and three out of the five previews I saw were for 3D movies. There was one that looked mildly interesting and I might have considered going to see it if it were not 3D. I have NO interest in paying another $5.00 per person to see 3D.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Seems like a financial way to balance out the black market by raising prices and providing a service that no one asked for in the first place. That said, I can't really complain because it has improved the entertainment value of some of the films--granted I've only seen one so far.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
Avatar made 3D hot again. Its only a matter of time before it cools back down.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 AM

148 posts, read 323,501 times
I've seen two 3D movies- Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon.

While it's nice as a gimmick for some things, I really don't want it to take over. Hell, I've noticed that there's even 3D TV now which looks like a total waste of money.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
The reasons are hugely complex and inter-related. I've seen this coming for years.

To put it all together and explain would take a small book, but briefly these are components of the drive to 3D and beyond:

Movies are easily pirated. 3-D is more difficult to pirate.

As the resolution and clarity of tv has improved, the difference between movie images and tv images has shrunk.

Larger tvs and dedicated home theatre rooms have siphoned audiences.

Sound systems (remember THX?) used to be the selling point for a movie "experience" but many homes now have systems that equal that.

IMAX 3D got a huge positive reception.

George Lucas and Cameron both fell in love with the 3D idea and have been promoting it heavily. Both have attracted big money.

The rendering programs used for cartoon animation were easily adapted to make 3D cartoons

Digital cinema had languished for years because of the high costs of projectors and film company refusal to fund the upgrades in theatres. Movies only having a 3D release in digital format forces the issue.

Converting a digital projector to 3D is relatively cheap.

3D almost always means an upcharge in ticket price to cover the cost of glasses. Much more than a buck and the bulk of the upcharge is profit.

Television was set to go to 3D even before the theatres. I was noticing on many of the high end tv sets in the 1990s that there were labels or lines in literature "3D ready." The technology was already there, incorporated, and waiting.

Sony owns movie production AND tv manufacturing facilities. Hmmmmm...

Kids like 3D and animation. Studios target that demographic.

Those are the basics. What is next?

Live action digital 3D still has challenges because the "language" of shooting 3D is different than shooting 2D and the cinematographers are struggling to learn it.

Expect to see sports and news on tv go to 3D within 3 to 7 years. Once that happens and the 3D market for programming breaks open, movies will change over to live action 3D almost full time. By then, audiences will understand how to view 3D and the filming language will be more developed.

You can usually predict development of technology by favoring developments that require a larger data pipe. The more information, the more definition, the more shining bright objects to attract attention, the more bucks.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
I went to the theater on sunday and three out of the five previews I saw were for 3D movies. There was one that looked mildly interesting and I might have considered going to see it if it were not 3D. I have NO interest in paying another $5.00 per person to see 3D.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I dont believe there are movies that are strictly 3D but I could be wrong. I believe that most theaters carry both the 2D and 3D versions of those movies.

It is an option to see something different. I have loved the movies I have seen in 3D and I dont know why someone wouldnt want to see a movie in 3D if they had the option unless they give you a headache (some people have reported that).

You ask why they are like that all of a sudden? It is technology. It is the same reason we use to watch BETA tapes but then watched cassette tapes and now watch DVDs. Things advance and progress over time. This is just one of those pieces of technology. If you havent seen a movie in 3D, I suggest you do it. It is incredible whether you are an adult or child.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerOfFate View Post
I've seen two 3D movies- Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon.

While it's nice as a gimmick for some things, I really don't want it to take over. Hell, I've noticed that there's even 3D TV now which looks like a total waste of money.
The first game of the World Cup tomorrow is being shown 3D.

I dont really see it as a waste of money. If you enjoy watching things in 3D, it isnt a waste of money. If you dont, you dont buy it and then you arent wasting your money.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
As far as sports go, if they are filmed with 3d lens it looks incredible. I walked through ESPN in middletown, CT and they have large 3d tv's and were showing what sports evens looks when filmed in 3d and its amaznig.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:05 AM

95 posts, read 136,305 times
i guess paying that extra money just for 3D is really worth it. You can't get 3D experience at your home.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,091 times
I don't know but it's getting old..

"Coming to a theater near you in 3D & HD"

3D is becoming less special now. Lay off already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies