Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM

22,956 posts, read 28,365,202 times

Advertisements

Best "Loser" movie ever:

ROCKY

And then, in ROCKY II he turned into a winner. Why? Apollo's trainer nailed it, "No matter how many times you knocked him down, he kept getting back up."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 01:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Best "Loser" movie ever:

ROCKY

And then, in ROCKY II he turned into a winner. Why? Apollo's trainer nailed it, "No matter how many times you knocked him down, he kept getting back up."
The first Rocky movie he really struggles hard to just go the distance with Creed. In just about every other movie, Rocky gets pounded on for the first 8 rounds than comes back to suddenly win.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:27 PM

8,360 posts, read 13,510,803 times
What can I say, they let anyone make a movie or start a new thread on online forums these days...

Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,114,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Best "Loser" movie ever:

ROCKY

I don't think you understand what this thread is about.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That really says a lot about your respect for women. The worst insult you can think of is "girl".
I am a woman. What I don't like is when men are whiny little girlies, even if it is just a movie.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:52 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I don't think you understand what this thread is about.
From what I took from it, you didn't like the movie version of Rent...

Is that right?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM

19,770 posts, read 20,340,042 times
I totally 'get' this thread. lol

Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
From what I took from it, you didn't like the movie version of Rent...

Is that right?
Yes, rent is a loser people movie. Rocky is not. It is about the movies with the loser artsy people with no money, personality or any redeeming qualities and they cry like little babies because they are all so sensitive.

Rent is a really great example of this. It is about a bunch of people that have been living rent free for a year and are all bummed out and complaining because their free ride is about to come to an end. Losers. And none of the characters are likable and they're icky.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,072,146 times
I think this genre of film has become popular because of the increasing prevalence of people in our society with insecurity and self-worth issues. Those who make themselves feel better about themselves by either hanging out with people they consider to be "losers" or talking down to or about people to boost their own misguided sense of self worth. Or watch films with losers in them.

Why do you think reality shows have become so common?

Or, they just think they are funny in a non-fart joke infused film kind of way.

But really, when you think about it, there have always been films with misfits and weirdo's in them... Buster Keaton, anyone?

I thought Napolean Dynamite was an endearing love story, as well as a tale of friendship. I didn't see it as a "loser" film at all. It was an expression of that awkward first love and that age of being half-child, half-grown; and finding out who your real friends are. Plus, I'd never heard anyone say "neck meat" before. That was awesome.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,158,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
I am a woman. What I don't like is when men are whiny little girlies, even if it is just a movie.
Well, ALL movies don't have to be made to fulfill the rape fantasies of a sector of the audience. There is room for many genres---just don't go to the ones that don't appeal to your nature. Surely, there are enough for the barbarian fetishists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies