Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times

Advertisements

Just caught the "John Carter" trailer on TV done by Disney Studios. It looks like a cross between Star Wars and Mad Max. Anyone have any inside info on it or opinions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
They showed it before War Horse, and I heard my dad tell my mom, "Looks like Nifty's kind of movie!" Definitely!

I don't know much about it, except that it's based on a book (or series of books) by Edward Rice Burroughs...the guy who wrote Tarzan. The character is from Earth, but he is able to astral project to other locations...Mars, often. He's considered immortal. He dies sometimes at the end of his various adventures but comes back to life (usually having astrally projected from one location to another) and he's always a youngish man in his prime. In the movie trailer they show him often leaping really high. The explanation is that because he's from Earth, which has far greater gravity than Mars, he's much stronger than the others on Mars. (Or Barsoom, as Burroughs calls it.) So on Mars he has supernatural speed/strength, etc.

I looked all this up after the trailer because I was curious. I had no idea that he's a character that dates back 100 years! I haven't read the books, but I may look into them.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Looks like a fantasy, Sci-fi flick with a very mystical story. Those aliens with the laser guns looked a bit like jar jar Binks though.

Jar jar Binks is Chuck Norris's sparring partner.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
They showed it before War Horse, and I heard my dad tell my mom, "Looks like Nifty's kind of movie!" Definitely!

I don't know much about it, except that it's based on a book (or series of books) by Edward Rice Burroughs...the guy who wrote Tarzan. The character is from Earth, but he is able to astral project to other locations...Mars, often. He's considered immortal. He dies sometimes at the end of his various adventures but comes back to life (usually having astrally projected from one location to another) and he's always a youngish man in his prime. In the movie trailer they show him often leaping really high. The explanation is that because he's from Earth, which has far greater gravity than Mars, he's much stronger than the others on Mars. (Or Barsoom, as Burroughs calls it.) So on Mars he has supernatural speed/strength, etc.

I looked all this up after the trailer because I was curious. I had no idea that he's a character that dates back 100 years! I haven't read the books, but I may look into them.
If Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote the book and they stay close to story line, that portends a good movie, IMO. I like his dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies