Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Movie is your favorite for 2012 "Best Picture" OSCAR
The Artist 11 28.95%
The Descendants 3 7.89%
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close 1 2.63%
The Help 5 13.16%
Hugo 2 5.26%
Midnight in Paris 3 7.89%
Moneyball 3 7.89%
The Tree of Life 0 0%
War Horse 2 5.26%
I don't care because I'm a poopy old crank.... 8 21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
moneyball was boring
I am no baseball fan but loved Moneyball and especially Pitt's performance. However, I knew that this movie was not epic Oscar bait.

Now that I live on the east coast, all I ever see of the awards is just the opening scenes and maybe the very first award, then I begin to nod off.

I thought that both Midnight in Paris and The Descendants deserved their screenplay awards. And this will undoubtedly come off shallow but I think Jean Dujardin is divine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
And this will undoubtedly come off shallow but I think Jean Dujardin is divine.
Not shallow! He is!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,163,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I would pick "The Artist" for best film but best Actor should go to Gary Oldman in my opinion in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I loved "The Help" too.

Best actress for me would probably be Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn".

I have yet to see "War Horse" and "The Iron Lady". I really enjoyed "The Descendants" but it is not Oscar material IMO, despite all round excellent performance and a great script. "Hugo" was disappointing. Visually ravishing but a little shallow and lacklustre .
I like Gary Oldman - he's a very versatile actor. I saw "Tinker Tailer.." and found it to be good. However, his performance did put me to sleep I'm afraid to say. I realize he's George Smiley but as far as enjoyment goes - I still say that Jean Dujardin was most deserving of the award.

I was rooting for Michelle until I saw "The Help". Viola Davis' performance blew that out of the water for me.

"Hugo" was cinematic genius (I really need to get my film major daughter on here to explain WHY Hugo was so good) and deserved the Technical Awards it received.

Meryl Streep is super super talented - that goes without saying. But there were other movies she was nominated for that IMO were more deserving of the Oscar.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Is it just me or is there an audio problem (like a feedback with the mics or something) with the Oscars show? I noticed it when Billy first appeared on stage and started talking.
Yes - throughout the entire show. It was quite annoying and I kept hoping it would be resolved.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I knew they would give it to that stupid silent movie that no one will go to. Classic academy decision. The Last Emporer LOL.
Are you kidding me?

None of the movies were more deserving of the Oscar than "The Artist".
Open your mind a bit and learn to appreciate different forms of the cinematic art form.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I am no baseball fan but loved Moneyball and especially Pitt's performance. However, I knew that this movie was not epic Oscar bait.

Now that I live on the east coast, all I ever see of the awards is just the opening scenes and maybe the very first award, then I begin to nod off.

I thought that both Midnight in Paris and The Descendants deserved their screenplay awards. And this will undoubtedly come off shallow but I think Jean Dujardin is divine.
Not shallow at all! I completely agree!! Besides being talented, he's also charming, handsome and unbelievably gracious! I just want to give him a big hug.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Are you kidding me?

None of the movies were more deserving of the Oscar than "The Artist".
Open your mind a bit and learn to appreciate different forms of the cinematic art form.
Why would I want to see some trendy copycat silent movie when I can rent the originals that are real art. Give me a break.

Another Academy joke.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:22 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Why would I want to see some trendy copycat silent movie when I can rent the originals that are real art. Give me a break.

Another Academy joke.
You obviously haven't seen it. It wasn't just a silent movie, it was ABOUT silent movies and the move to talkies. It was a great story!

It deserved to win

Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You obviously haven't seen it. It wasn't just a silent movie, it was ABOUT silent movies and the move to talkies. It was a great story!

It deserved to win

Hear, hear.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Another Academy joke.
Wrong - this movie pays homage to the movies of old, and introduces the medium to an entirely new younger audience. Hopefully this will make those people appreciate the art form and thus watch the originals.
My daughter is a Film Major and this was one of her favorite films (and she also has many original silent film favorites).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies