Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,396,986 times

Advertisements

Dish Network bought Blockbuster at bankruptcy auction last April. They said they were going to keep 1500 stores open, but now they are closing them left and right. There is one location remaining in my area. The manager told me that if it isn't profitable in the coming months, it will close too. Kind of sad, really. I browsed around the store -- it's a relic from the past. There were actually several customers, mostly older folks, some were younger but looked like they stepped out of the eighties. Weirdly sad.

Last edited by Fatty MacButter; 01-25-2012 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,285,142 times
Blockbusters closed their doors in my area...about 4 stores and although I'm sorry people lost their jobs, I was excited to see them close!!! Maybe next time they will think about turning people over to a collection agency for .99 late fees within a week!! Seriously, I got a letter from a collection agency for .99 within a week of it being late. How in the heck does that work? The first day it's late they turn it over to an collection agency? I mean it took about 3-4 business days to mail the letter. So that gave Block Busters 1-2 days to turn it over to collections after the movie was returned.

I had been renting with those jokers from day one and always paid my late fees the next rental which was generally every week. The manager basically told me tough luck and couldn't help. I canceled my membership and celebrated the day they closed

Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,408,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Dish Network bought Blockbuster at bankruptcy auction last April. They said they were going to keep 1500 stores open, but now they are closing them left and right. There is one location remaining in my area. The manager told me that if it isn't profitable in the coming months, it will close too. Kind of sad, really. I browsed around the store -- it's a relic from the past. There were actually several customers, mostly older folks, some were younger but looked like they stepped out of the eighties. Weirdly sad.
I haven't been in any - if we rent movies , it's for the road so we use one of the machines where we can return it when, where we want.

Think I've seen a few stores still open in the not-so-great parts of town (near some month to month hotel rentals).

I find it kinda sad too... I guess because it makes me feel sort of old every time I think of something (going to the video store with a date) that my daughter will have no memory/experience ? I;d never give up my cell phone - but I felt ancient telling my college age cousin about corded phones, waiting around the house for a boy to call, lifting the receiver to make sure the phone wasn't "broken", LOL

Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 AM

696 posts, read 1,304,472 times
The future belongs to Redbox and Netflix. In fact, even Redbox will get antiquated soon, the future really belongs to streaming! It will eventually boil down to which streaming service provider is the cheapest (per rental or monthly rate) and/or has the broadest selections.

The demise of Blockbuster does not bother me, just like I am not bothered by the upcoming extinction of landphones (at home) or desktop computers!

The Times They Are a-Changin' ...

Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
The future belongs to Redbox and Netflix. In fact, even Redbox will get antiquated soon, the future really belongs to streaming! It will eventually boil down to which streaming service provider is the cheapest (per rental or monthly rate) and/or has the broadest selections.
Correct. Before too much longer, your movies, TV, phone, music, and internet will all be the same thing.

How soon depends on the overall economy. If things continue to improved, I'd give it 3-5 years.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,219,545 times
All gone from around here. Not surprised though. Nobody I know has been in one since the 90s.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM

12,329 posts, read 17,177,445 times
Have not been in one in over 2 years. Never found them very good. Was a huge fan of the old-school mom and pop video stores. With the videocassettes in the cheap plastic case. You could find the most interesting movies. The one I used to go to in Brooklyn had a scary guy behind the counter who used to drink beer right out in the open and smoke in the store. Scared a lot of customers though, Myself included. But the store rocked!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:22 PM

21 posts, read 21,073 times
Just bought a bunch of movies yesterday (2.99 in case .99 without) in a going out of business sale. I got the whole Roots series for $3. I went to another that will start the firesale on Monday and stalked out some lesser popular movies (The History Boys and Joyeux Noel)

Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,396,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Have not been in one in over 2 years. Never found them very good. Was a huge fan of the old-school mom and pop video stores. With the videocassettes in the cheap plastic case. You could find the most interesting movies. The one I used to go to in Brooklyn had a scary guy behind the counter who used to drink beer right out in the open and smoke in the store. Scared a lot of customers though, Myself included. But the store rocked!
Oh man, back in the '80s there was a mom & pop video store at every strip mall in town. Same with soft-serve frozen yogurt shops! All gone now, have been for years. Except.. there is one independent video store near me. It caters to the large Asian population with loads of Chinese movies and dubbed American movies. Talk about a nifty niche!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:10 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,241,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Oh man, back in the '80s there was a mom & pop video store at every strip mall in town.
And they'd sell you a used video cassette for like $200. That was really weird at the time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies