Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM

212 posts, read 821,964 times

Advertisements

what is your opinion of netflix and blockbuster, which one do you use, how many
movies do you watch a week and finally do the watch the movies on your pc (netflix option to watch movie on your pc). I use netflix and hope they are in business a long . I always try to get ne new releases on tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
I do the four at a time plan with Netflix and I really like it. The way my work schedule works out, I work a couple of days and then get a couple of days off. On my days off, I usually watch most of the movies, put them in the mail before I go back to work and after a couple days when I'm off work again I already have the new ones. It works out pretty good. When the weather gets a little nicer, I'll probably drop down to two or three movies at a time.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:45 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I have Netflix. I like them for the most part..have gotten a few DVD's that were damaged. What i don't like about them, if you watch the movies right away, and send them back sooner, they start giving you different addresses to mail them back to: clear across the country.
If they do that to any of you, just fill in the local address on the envelope and mail it back.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have Netflix. I like them for the most part..have gotten a few DVD's that were damaged. What i don't like about them, if you watch the movies right away, and send them back sooner, they start giving you different addresses to mail them back to: clear across the country.
This has never happened to me, and I send my DVDs back right away all the time.
I am on the 3 movie at a time plan, though, and usually keep one movie out for longer.
Quote:
If they do that to any of you, just fill in the local address on the envelope and mail it back.
Is that supposed to make you get your next movie faster?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
It does get the movie back faster when it goes to the local address in the town you live in. I also have the 3 out at a time plan.
I have heard from others that when you send the DVD's back too fast, like watch all 3 the day you get them, mail them back the next day, they get tired of that and purposely give you envelopes with far off cities to mail them back to. So when you have the first ones, write down the local address and keep it handy. If they ever do make you wait using their sneaky method, just put in the local address.
Since I started doing that all the time, they quit doing that to me.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:30 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
I swear by Netflix and use the 3-at-a-time plan. For those that mentioned damaged discs, out of the 1,100+ I have rented so far, only two arrived damaged, one actually broken in half. Netflix has an online checkkoff form you can use, and they will mail you a new copy immediately, they don't have to have the broken disc first.

Netflix has a far superior selection of movies to Blockbuster, and their service - for me at least - has been spectacular. I mail back the movie at say 4PM on Tuesday, I get an email at 9am the next day acknowledging receipt, and by 5pm they have picked and mailed by next selection that arrives the next day. Needless to say, much of the credit has to go to the Postal system for getting the discs from one end of the state to the other efficiently and reliably.

Compared to the skimpy selection and high prices to rent just one DVD from my local Movie Gallery, it is not only a bargain, but less trouble, My mailbox is much closer than their stores are.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Blockbuster. Blockbuster total access is awesome.

The option to trade in a movie you got in the mail for one in the store is great. It's a huge advantage for blockbuster.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
I was a Blockbuster user once, but no longer am, went to Netflix as you can read in an earlier post.

Blockbuster put a limit on the number of in-store trades I could make, just three a month, and $7 a month additional if I wanted more. They lost $50 million on the concept last year, and have stopped promoting it, and may reprice it again to stop the losses.

In any case, there are few films in a Blockbuster store that I haven't seen before, the selection is very limited as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:39 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,881 times
I use Netflix 3 at a time; my entire queue is filled with tv shows, so I sometimes get really confused with season and volume. I have had quite a few that were broken or didn't play, but at least they just send another.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,803 times
Netflix for me. Never tried Blockbuster, but I decided to go for Netflix because I hate having to go and spend 1/2 trying to decide which movie I want, then another 15 minutes in line, then having to go back 2-3 days later to drop it off. I'm too lazy for all of that, so I would probably never use the in store exchange thing. So far I've never had a problem with Netflix. I was on 2 month at first, and watched a couple of tv shows, but now I'm down to just 1 a month.

I watch the 'play now' movies once in a while. Now theyre unlimited though, so thats even better. I've watched A Clockwork Orange a million times on my computer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies