Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times

Advertisements

When the very first SW came out (SW#4) I remember reading Lucas's plot-description of the entire story arc. One of the important points made was that there were to be only two characters in all three of the trilogies (9 movies), and those were the two robots.
If that follow that, then Hamil, Fisher, Ford and the rest of the currently familiar stars, wouldn't be directly used. Which takes out the re-casting problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 08:21 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I agree with this, Harrison Ford especially. If I remember right, he originally wanted Han Solo killed off in Empire because he didn't want to reprise the role in Jedi. So I seriously doubt he'd come back for another movie. Considering the real time lapse between Jedi and now, there's no way to could pick the story up just after Jedi finished.

The early script for 7 happens decades after 6. They all could come back and it would made sense if they chose to. My guess the focus will be on their children and Yavin 4.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
I agree with this, Harrison Ford especially. If I remember right, he originally wanted Han Solo killed off in Empire because he didn't want to reprise the role in Jedi.
Yep. It's the entire reason the character of Lando Calrissian was invented: Lucas & co. weren't sure Harrison would come back. He did, but throughout Jedi he continually wanted Han Solo killed off. So yeah, I'd be very surprised if he would agree to come back.

Personally, I'd much rather see a good Star Wars TV series than another movie, but I guess we'll take what we can get.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Lucas was planning on retiring within the next year or two anyway so now he can live out his days filthy rich.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
New trilogy will be original, not based on any of the novels.

Star Wars 7 Plot Will Be An Original Story Says Lucasfilm Source | E! Online

Old 10-31-2012, 06:45 PM

23 posts, read 44,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Considering what Disney has done with the Marvel franchise, I can't see this as being anything but a good thing for the Star Wars franchise. Perhaps they can bring it back to its former glory.
Quote:
Kathleen Kennedy, who was tapped by Lucas as his successor at Lucasfilm in June, will serve as prexy of Lucasfilm, overseeing all aspects of the "Star Wars" franchise, reporting to Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn.
Considering her filmography, the future appears promising.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,518 times
Default Thrawn Films Already Exist

Thrawn Films Already Exist

They're called the 20th Anniversary Audiobooks - they're fully produced, with John Williams music, Ben Burtt sound effects, and Marc Thompson doing brilliant impersonations of 30+ different characters, including a dead-on Lando. Sure, I'd love for Disney to make a Thrawn film happen, but I stick an earbud in my ear before I go to bed and watch a Star Wars Thrawn film in my mind every night, and it's beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAHvvKQ4HYM

Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
As others have mentioned, I am all for this Disney buy-out. They've established credibility with their superb handling of the Marvel movies. Live action Disney franchise films are typically heavy on storyline, plot and character development (The Avengers if you want to use Marvel as an example, or Pirates of the Caribbean as a pre-Marvel example). The only recent exception that I can think of is "John Carter," which I know Disney realizes was a huge mistake since they took a severe monetary hit.

This is a smart investment decision on Disney's part; the Hollywood industry (filmmakers AND filmgoers) is very conservative when it comes to movie ideas since it's so d*mn expensive for all parties involved. It's difficult to get the general public to appreciate unknown characters (e.g. John Carter). Here, the public already knows the "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" branding.

Plus, the new Star Wars trilogy was atrocious at worst, and watchable at best. Even the recent Indiana Jones was considered a major flop. If Disney can turn these franchises around and take good care of them, they are sitting on a HUGE CASH COW.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I surmise that Lucas sold before the "tax cliff" hit?
Any of the original Star Wars actors that need the money, could be potentially involved in a project. I heard new movie est. 2015. Not surprising, at Disney studios in Orlando, they have very successful Star Wars weekends. It is a natural fit actually.
Agreed with the CGI overkill, hope it doesn't go that route.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:33 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
Plus, the new Star Wars trilogy was atrocious at worst, and watchable at best. Even the recent Indiana Jones was considered a major flop. If Disney can turn these franchises around and take good care of them, they are sitting on a HUGE CASH COW.
Good point about Indiana Jones, though I believe while Disney now owns it thanks to buying LucasFilm, I think Paramount still has some kind of rights to it as well. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Plus, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have hinted at a 5th Indiana Jones movie for quite a while so that wouldn't really be a surprise. Lucas often said no way was he making Episodes 7-9 of Star Wars so that is big news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies