Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times

Advertisements

Disney buys Lucasfilm, new 'Star Wars' planned - Entertainment News, Film News, Media - Variety

The Walt Disney Company has bought LucasFilm, including Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, from George Lucas for $4.05 billion. Along with the deal, Disney immediately announced plays for Star Wars Episode 7 to be released in 2015, followed by Episodes 8 and 9.

On the plus side, maybe Disney will be smart enough to see the value in release the original Star Wars movies in their original form on Blu-Ray, unlike Mr. Lucas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
It will be interesting to see the storyline and format for these films.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
Considering what Disney has done with the Marvel franchise, I can't see this as being anything but a good thing for the Star Wars franchise. Perhaps they can bring it back to its former glory.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
I am looking forward to the new movies. I hope they don't keep re-releasing new versions with more CGI each time. I also hope they don't add a character like Jar Jar Binks.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Considering what Disney has done with the Marvel franchise, I can't see this as being anything but a good thing for the Star Wars franchise. Perhaps they can bring it back to its former glory.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:43 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,389 times
Star Wars is easily fixable:

- Adapt/Film the Thrawn Trilogy (novels that were Episodes 7-9) - this would require recasting since they take place only a few years after eps 4-6

- If you do keep all the original actors, then you'd probably should adapt the Fate of the Jedi series of novels, which take place much later and deal more with children of the OT characters

- Do a trilogy for "The Old Republic"

- Hire Blur Studios to help with the new films - their trailers for The Old Republic MMO are the best thing to come out of the Star Wars universe in decades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOLANti8UCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYbvVAtlWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw

And above all, don't let Lucas anywhere near the script or the camera

Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times
They will be doing 7,8,9 which will most likely deal with Leah and Hans making babies, along with the temples being rebuilt along with the Jedi Order.

I think they keep moving forward, as the Old Republic Lore does not attract as many people, however I would love to see a TOR film.

I would also love to see a "Tales from the Cantina" film.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Here's another article on it.

BBC News - Disney buys Star Wars maker Lucasfilm from George Lucas
Quote:
Disney is buying Lucasfilm, the company behind the Star Wars films, from its chairman and founder George Lucas for $4.05bn (£2.5bn).
Mr Lucas said: "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of film-makers."
In a statement announcing the purchase, Disney said it planned to release a new Star Wars film, episode seven, in 2015.
That will be followed by episodes eight and nine and then one new movie every two or three years, the company said.
There is of course a whole load of books on life in the Republic after the last film that are officially sanctioned by Lucasfilms. It'll be interesting to see if these are kept as a framework or ignored completely.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:34 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I'll be very, very surprised if Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford are the least bit interested in reprising their SW roles. Mark Hamil ... ? Maybe. I could see him playing an elder Jedi, not unlike Alec Guiness's role in the first SW movie. That would be rather cool.

And I'll be equally surpirsed if any of the novels are made into movies. I suspect Disney is going to do something brand new. As they should. I've tried reading a few of the SW novels and was never too impressed.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'll be very, very surprised if Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford are the least bit interested in reprising their SW roles. Mark Hamil ... ? Maybe. I could see him playing an elder Jedi, not unlike Alec Guiness's role in the first SW movie. That would be rather cool.
I agree with this, Harrison Ford especially. If I remember right, he originally wanted Han Solo killed off in Empire because he didn't want to reprise the role in Jedi. So I seriously doubt he'd come back for another movie. Considering the real time lapse between Jedi and now, there's no way to could pick the story up just after Jedi finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies