Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Saw the movie yesterday. THought it a work of art. Do it justice and see it in 3D as intended.
The audience broke out in applause at the end.How rare is that?
I saw it again this past weekend. the visual effects were not nearly as stunning, b/c I went to an older theator near home to see it. Bad mistake...
1st time I saw it, it was in a new theater with true digital screen. The one I went to last weekend, was not, but advertised it was, and if I had known that, I wouldn't have gone there, but to a 3D theater. Bad mistake! It lost a lot of it's beauty and visual effects so, yes, by all means, see it in 3 D or a newer theater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM

211 posts, read 301,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I loved the movie. Finding the book a bit too wordy.
It's a book. It's supposed to have words

Seriously, loved the book and loved the movie. The book, IMHO, was darker. And to the person that mentioned the island = Pi's mom's corpse - whoa! You blew my mind away! Meerkats = Maggots, then! It's been a few years since I read the book - should read it again soon.

Visually, this was even better than Avatar - I hate watching 3D movies because of the glasses, but I forgot about them until it was time to toss the glasses into the recycle bin

Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Went to go see it last night and really enjoyed it (I just finished the book a few months ago).

I really should have thought it through.... I blubbered uncontrollably, which is a given. I DO wish we would have seen it in 3D.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
that is the beauty of this motion picture, you can't be certain about what you've seen, ever, because human beings hold a huge difference in perspectives.

that is why when police come on a scene, they try and get as many fresh eye witnesses as possible, b/c as time moves on, even up until the next hour or so, the same person perceives something different, plus you receive a whole lot of different stories from different eye witnesses. Human perspective can be dabillitating....
Yeah, but I guess I left the theater not really caring which story was true. The movie was not set up in such a way that it caused me to really ponder the question. It wasn't like Shutter Island where I finished the movie wondering whether DiCaprio's character was really insane.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but I guess I left the theater not really caring which story was true. The movie was not set up in such a way that it caused me to really ponder the question. It wasn't like Shutter Island where I finished the movie wondering whether DiCaprio's character was really insane.
well of course it wasn't like shutter island, different movie, different writers...to each his own...
I'm sorry you lost something from it, for me, it was extremely spiritual....

Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Even the critics fail to point out the "island" he drifted on represents [spoiler deleted] body with worms all over.
The island, in the movie, was not presented as a body or a corpse. It was in the shape of sleeping Lord Vishnu, a Hindu deity. We had seen earlier seen that exact image in one of Pi's boyhood scenes. Lord Vishnu is a Vedic god who sleeps/floats on the cosmic ocean and dreams the universe.

I'm not versed enough in Hindu/Vedic mythology to be able to explain the symbolism Ang was using, but my best guess is he used this visual short-cut to suggest that Pi was in a 'yogic sleep', ie although awake, he was in a sleep-like consciousness.

Ever since the book came out, there's been an abundance of theories re the meerkat symbolism. I lean toward their tamed, compliant, social nature dooming them to certain death. In other words, they're the very opposite of Richard Parker, whose wild, savage nature, by Pi's own words
Spoiler
enabled him to survive

I don't recall seeing them in the movie, but in the book there were meerkat skeletons
Spoiler
in the boat when it washed up on the Mexican beach, which supposedly validates at least that part of Pi's experience.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:47 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I prefer endings like the one in Shutter Island where the film really makes you FEEL uncertain about everything you've seen rather than a narrator TELLING you that you can't be certain about everything you've seen.
In Life of Pi, both the book and the movie, the whole point is that Pi - who is the narrator and the story teller - presents one story, then another. He then asserts that our own religious/philosophical beliefs are reflected in the ending in which we choose to believe. (I say 'ending' because, like Pi says, the basics - the boat sinks, his family dies, he spends 227 days on the lifeboat - remain the same either way).
We are then left pondering to what extent, and why, we ourselves choose to believe in the rational or irrational. That's purposeful, that's what the writer intended.
The movie couldn't have ended any other way and retained the integrity of the novel.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 12-06-2012 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Wow - I thought this was one of three I chose as my 2012 favorite movies...I didn't even want to see it but my five year old did so we went. He sat completely absorbed through the entire movie and so did I... it was sooo good!
I'm born again Christian and had trepidation about taking my son since I want him to believe what I believe as an adult and felt this movie did justice to religious tolerance. A catholic, muslim, hindu...kind of funny.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
The visuals were good, but the main character was so goofy and naive that it was almost painful to watch.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:38 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Excellent film. I do believe it's in my top five favorite movies of all time. Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies