Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I find it fascinating that of all the controversial topics/scenes that have made it onto film throughout the ages, the one topic you can't show is a period piece on a Southern plantation. From what I remember, the cartoon bits were cute, and the live action bits were generic and boring. Still, the fact that a child can more easily access Clockwork Orange than this is intriguing, and says a lot about our society.

OK, I looked at the Frozen trailer and it looks truly terrible, like an inferior Ice Age 2 or something.
I remember a cartoon where it was an old fat black lady...never saw her face but you would see her arms and her waist and she had a real heavy Southern accent. I wanna say it was maybe Tom & Jerry but I can't remember...anyway I remember being a kid and someone told me those cartoons were racist and I wasn't supposed to like it. It's a lose-lose situation either way so Disney might as well go where the money is. How did Tiana do compared to the other Disney princesses?

Honestly I just don't view Mulan, Pochantas & Tiana the same way I do the other Disney princesses. It's been about a year since I've been to Magic Kingdom but it just seems like the main focus are the princesses in the big poofy ballroom gowns (with the exception of Snow White)...I didn't see a big Brave following either...wasn't she a Disney princess? And there were a handful of girls doing the Tangled thing (was her name Rapunzel in the movie?) but I think it's mostly because they like the big blond braid...her dress is pretty plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,029,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
I remember a cartoon where it was an old fat black lady...never saw her face but you would see her arms and her waist and she had a real heavy Southern accent. I wanna say it was maybe Tom & Jerry but I can't remember...anyway I remember being a kid and someone told me those cartoons were racist and I wasn't supposed to like it.
I think I can picture who you mean! Hit the cat with the broom, I'm sure. Yeah, but this fat lady shouldn't represent all black women any more than Jane and Michael Banks represent all English children.

Quote:
It's a lose-lose situation either way so Disney might as well go where the money is. How did Tiana do compared to the other Disney princesses?
Oh, I agree, and I'm wouldn't be surprised that SOTS would be an extremely unpopular movie, the baffling thing is that it's literally banned, and must be one of the only mainstream films of the 20th century to be so.

Quote:
Honestly I just don't view Mulan, Pochantas & Tiana the same way I do the other Disney princesses.
It doesn't help that their movies weren't particularly good. Tiana's was all right; I liked her cooking gumbo with her dad. Jasmine's not white and she was a very popular princess, right? Probably since IMO her story was Disney's best since the golden age.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
It doesn't help that their movies weren't particularly good.
Mulan was great. In fact, I think it may have been the last non-Pixar Disney flick I thoroughly enjoyed.

Pocahontas was awful; even the animation seemed lazy and half-hearted through large swaths of the movie.

Never saw The Frog Prince.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:15 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Angry Disney fans create their own ethnic princesses as latest film features ANOTHER 'generic' white female | Mail Online

So they're angry because the "Snow Queen" appears to be Nordic? This would almost be humorous if I didn't have to actually live in this society.
I think this has more to do with some persons feeling like they can't see themselves in any of the Disney characters.

All that aside, I see nothing wrong with the Snow Queen character. I also see nothing wrong with having more Black or non-White Disney characters.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Well, then why even make a movie about a Nordic beauty? Since white kids are indeed a minority in that age group, why focus on european folklore when they could tackle folklore from other regions of the globe?
No they arent. You cant just group every other minority together and say "well they make up 51% all together,and white people only make up 49%".

Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 PM

I watched Aladdin, Pocahontas, Mulan, and The Princess and the Frog. I've also watched Pinocchio. I had no problem with the characters. However, there is one pattern I have noticed in the Disney films. There are Arab, Native American, Chinese, and Black female characters that are very prominent and likable. However, I have noticed this. Until The Frog Prince came out, I never saw any Black male characters, and when some came in The Princess and the Frog, one died early on in the film. The main Black male character in the film was a villain. The biggest portrayal of a Black male character in any Disney film, and the first major one, was that of a villain, a bad guy. I never thought about it until I sat down. The prince wasn't Black. Interracial dating/marriage, I have no issue with it. The only thing that I have thought about is why there hasn't been a Black prince ever featured, in any film.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:03 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
I think I can picture who you mean! Hit the cat with the broom, I'm sure. Yeah, but this fat lady shouldn't represent all black women any more than Jane and Michael Banks represent all English children.

Oh, I agree, and I'm wouldn't be surprised that SOTS would be an extremely unpopular movie, the baffling thing is that it's literally banned, and must be one of the only mainstream films of the 20th century to be so.

It doesn't help that their movies weren't particularly good. Tiana's was all right; I liked her cooking gumbo with her dad. Jasmine's not white and she was a very popular princess, right? Probably since IMO her story was Disney's best since the golden age.
I loved Mulan. The Princss & frog songs weren't that great. I don't even remember them. My fave disney songs are a whole new world, colors of the wind, can you feel the love tonight, and most of the songs sung by the black chicks on herclues.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Am I the only one who doesn't even LIKE the revamped Snow Queen? It's a lazy edit that actually makes things WORSE. The black princess has clear blue eyes and straight, white hair. So it's okay if the princess is black so long as she has blue eyes and straight, bleached hair? Blah, you were better off leaving her as a pale, white, Nordic Snow Queen .

Yeah, Disney films need more diversity, but this isn't how you do it. What is the point of the Snow Queen being a minority anyway? It is a Northern European folk tale after all. There is a rich gold mine of African, Asian, Native American, and Hispanic folk lore that they can tap into-we don't need to shoe horn in minorities into nonsensical roles.

Jeez, I can't remember the last time I've dedicated so much energy for a Disney flick...

Old 07-12-2013, 06:09 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only thing that I have thought about is why there hasn't been a Black prince ever featured, in any film.
Maybe it's just because he was voiced by the supremely cool James Earl Jones, but in my mind, I've always thought of Mufasa as black. He's definitely African.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Maybe it's just because he was voiced by the supremely cool James Earl Jones, but in my mind, I've always thought of Mufasa as black. He's definitely African.
But Mufasa is a lion, not a human being. I am talking about a real prince, a human being. There has been no Black prince in any Disney films.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies