Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:04 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,159,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yeah. The blond guy survives, because the actor is paid the most.

No, no, I'm not talking about the lead actors ... they have to survive.

Like in End of Watch when Jake Gyllenhaal miraculously survived an AK 47 strafing because his Mexican partner, Michael Pena, sacrificed himself by covering Jake's body with his.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,517,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I tried really hard to sympathize and give a rat's a... but couldn't.

So, instead, may I offer you:

There was a great movie from the 1990's called "Showdown in Little Tokyo" that breaks down all the cultural barriers that were assumed throughout cinematic history when dealing with Nordic male leads, half Chinese supporting characters and a Hawaiian Filipina damsel playing a Japanese damsel. Great flick, worth a watch any day. As a bonus, Dolph Lundgren has a really uninspiring bedroom scene with Tia Carrere when he isn't too busy getting shot at by Yakuza to even think about unispiring bedroom scenes.

I think that this movie is what helped Dolph Lundgren finally overcome his long, heroic struggle with fame.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:19 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,517,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
No, no, I'm not talking about the lead actors ... they have to survive.

Like in End of Watch when Jake Gyllenhaal miraculously survived an AK 47 strafing because his Mexican partner, Michael Pena, sacrificed himself by covering Jake's body with his.
You can't kill Jake Gyllenhaal in a bad, modern cop flick. Everyone knows that. If it had been, for example, Tom Hardy, then obviously the Limey dies and Pena lives.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
OP should watch "Hiroshima Mon Amour"...cute French woman carries on an affair with Japanese man. So long as you don't mind subtitles.

- Tony Leung knocking it with Jane March in The Lover (pretty intense sex scenes iirc)
- Ken Leung paired up with Hayden Panettiere in Shanghai Kiss (Kelly Hu is in this one as an added bonus)
- The late Brittany Murphy in love with Tosh Nishida in The Ramen Girl

Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
There was a great movie from the 1990's called "Showdown in Little Tokyo" that breaks down all the cultural barriers that were assumed throughout cinematic history when dealing with Nordic male leads, half Chinese supporting characters and a Hawaiian Filipina damsel playing a Japanese damsel. Great flick, worth a watch any day. As a bonus, Dolph Lundgren has a really uninspiring bedroom scene with Tia Carrere when he isn't too busy getting shot at by Yakuza to even think about unispiring bedroom scenes.

I think that this movie is what helped Dolph Lundgren finally overcome his long, heroic struggle with fame.

I'm sorry, you cannot use "Dolph Lundgren" in the same sentence with "uninspiring", that's Keanu Reeves territory.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:43 AM

163 posts, read 249,956 times
I am in Asia now, traveling around here. Some things I've noticed:

1. The Asian chicks dig me - and I am white

2. I think it would be hard to stand out unless you are 1. wealthy 2. wealthy or 3. wealthy here or 4. white or otherwise noticeably different.

3. I am talking here strictly about make eyes, meet and f--k on short notice, because thats the impact being white here has. If I was a local man, I wouldn't be of interest immediately because, well, I would look normal and not exotic at all.

4. These principles apply elsewhere also, such as being an American in Europe.

5. Dont take yourself too seriously. Chicks dig large dudes. Most white dudes are bigger than asian ones. It must suck for you but thats the way of the world.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:05 AM

32,125 posts, read 34,797,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Please don't mention Keanu Reeves ... his Asian card was revoked years ago. The only Asian male "sex symbol" in America right now is The Walking Dead's Steven Yeun who has sex scenes with the only hottie on the show, Lauren Cohen.
Yes, she is indeed a hottie. And Glenn pounded her down in the prison. If you go to the Walking Dead forums, a lot of white guys are really upset by that fact.

But I think Ken Watanabe and Rick Yune are (or have been) viewed as sex symbols. Or at least they've come the closest to being viewed as such.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 AM

936 posts, read 2,063,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You hate me stating the fact?
I just pointed out there are many black roles nowadays but the same cannot be said for Asian (male) roles.

I am aware that blacks have a lot of social disadvantages etc., but Asians are often ignored even though they also suffer the disadvantages, and they do not get the help.
Instead of whining, why not do something constructive? If you think Asians are ignored as lead actors, write a movie script that fetures an Asian lead, shop it around or try for funding through Kickstarter, and find someone to make your groundbreaking movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Do you know how much of a struggle it was for those black actors to get to that point and still is? Yet people want to silence them. Just a few weeks ago we had people protesting a commercial because it featured an interracial couple. Good thing most people had good enough sense to not get all up in arms, but, don't think everything is all hunky dory because you are seeing blacks in more prominent roles. Don't get into the divisional nonsense that keeps this crap going. Things are moving in a positive direction for all people, keep making your voice be heard, You do have some good points, but, the tone of this thread isn't quite the way, it dosen't do you or your cause any good by knocking anyone else down including those at the top.
Are you talking about that Cheerios commerical with the little girl who leaves a pile of cereal on her dad's chest while he's napping? That little girl is ADORABLE!!!

Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,705,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Wut, you don't remember Born in East L.A? Cheech Martin and Kamala Lopez?

It happens but not as often as you probably would like.
Nope I don't, all I can remember are those stupid JLO movies . She is a horrible actress.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:20 AM

32,125 posts, read 34,797,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Try being hispanic, they(hollywood) NEVER pair up a hispanic person with another hispanic person...kinda ticks me off
Well, there are not thatmany mainstream movies with Hispanics in leading roles. The few I can think of...

Desperado. Antonio B. gets good lovin' from Salma Hayek.

From Prada to Nada. Wilmer Valderrama "gets" one of the two sisters at the end. But it's not really clear that his feelings are reciprocated.

Those are really the only two I can think of. J. Lo is usually with white guys (The Wedding Planner, Enough, Maid in Manhattan, Monster In Law). I think the only movies where she was with a non-white guy are Anaconda (Ice Cube, but not sure if they hooked up in the movie) and Selena (where they couldn't exactly cast a white man in that role).

Can't remember Eva Mendes being with a Hispanic guy. She was with Denzel (Out of Time) and Will Smith (Hitch) though.

Even when Jimmy Smits played Matt Santos in the West Wing, he had a white wife.

So yeah, you have a point.

George Lopez lucked out with Constance Marie on his show though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies