Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
13% of the population get over 60% of the media exposure.
Dare I ask for your source for these percentages?

Quote:
however there are those that dont agree with my opinion. like the black guy in florida that smashed the million dollar chinese vase the other day in the gallery bek he could not get his stuff displayed there. so yes there are people out there that share your outrage.
Two different situations. I am not outraged.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:49 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Really. I'm Italian and you don't see me getting up here saying that we need to stop making mob movies. The fact is that the Mafia is a chunk of Italian-American history, just as slavery is a chunk of African-American history.
At this point, I'm starting to think that everyone here is simply picking out parts of my argument to disagree with, instead of acknowledging the entire point I'm trying to make.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonandStars View Post
It's not about what white people like .
Actually, it has indeed developed as a sub-topic on this thread.

Quote:
and what's a good film is individualistic and relative.
No offense, but de-construction is almost always a tactic of someone who has nothing useful to say. Yes, TO AN EXTENT there is no accounting for taste and these things are relative, but to an extent they are absolute. THE COLOR PURPLE is going to be remembered as a timeless classic...BOOTY CALL not so much. And rightfully so.

Quote:
I question your statement.
I don't care.

Quote:
"When you were young you watch all of Sidney Poitier's films..."
The Defiant Ones, To Sir With Love, Lillies in the Field, A Raisin in the Sun, classics one and all.

Quote:
yet when you were young you watched Amistad and Beloved.
Uh, you do understand that there were things called VCRs and televisions in my youth? I did not watch Sidney Poiters in the theater or anything.

Besides, it was a different sentence. I was merely naming a couple more of those good black films white people like. To an extent I apologize for not making myself more clear, but it really is no great cause for controversy.

Quote:
I guess you someone who doesn't age.
This is just plain stupid and unnecessary. Why do you have a chip on your shoulder about a completely uncontroversial post?

Quote:
Errors like that comes from lying.
Really, what in god's name is the matter with you? What would I be lying about? Do you think that I never saw THE DEFIANT ONES or something? Yes, I feel the need to come on a website and lie to strangers about movies that I have seen.

Quote:
I find it questionable that you enjoyed Amistad yet criticizes films such as 12 years a Slave.
Except that I never criticized Twelve Years As a Slave. In fact, I have never seen it nor claimed to. It might be a great film. I don't know. The quality of the film has nothing to do with my post.

Quote:
Apparently, when you watch films you don't know what or why you're watching it kiddo.
Oooohh. He said "kiddo." He is just teeming with righteous anger.

Look, you are an idiot, and obviously so. You are responding to thing that were never said, and getting indignant over...well...I don't know what, and I do not believe that you do either.

**** up a rope.

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:06 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Default Slave Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Take note of the fact that I've listed five titles that have been released in the span of only two years. It truly bothers me that the only Black stories Hollywood is interested in telling are the ones from yesterday, so everyone can frown, shed a few tears, and soak in their white guilt for two hours out of their day while they watch reenactments of how bad black people were treated.

What happened? Why does it seem like we're moving backwards?
Thank you. I've been noticing the same thing lately. It definitely feels like we are moving backwards. So much for "moving forward"!

"Django Unchained" was excellent and that's because Tarantino is one of the few white guys in Hollywood who actually gets black culture and black America without being condescending.

You couldn't pay me enough to see racist garbage (and I know it's garbage) like "The Butler" or "The Help", and I have no desire to see "12 Years A Slave". "The Blind Side" made me angry it was so bad and of course it won Oscars.

White liberal Hollywood thinks they're so racially progressive but they're not. If anything, these movies prove just how out of touch and racist they really are.

One day they'll wake up and realize that it's not 1964 anymore. Then they'll truly run out of fresh ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Articles like this annoy me because once again it puts societal issues into strict black-and-white context only while ignoring all the other groups who also generally don't like so-called "black movies" such as asians, jews, east indians, and pretty much the rest of the non-black world.

I take issue with this paragraph:
The event included a full screening of the groundbreaking 1964 film NOTHIN’ BUT A MAN (Michael Roemer).

This Black film starring Ivan Dixon and Abbey Lincoln which has a story that can be understood as an important harbinger of the Civil Rights Movement was playing to a packed house that night: ¾ White and ¼ Black. Yet I noticed and couldn’t help but to keep track of the fact that 10 minutes after the house lights went off and the film started many Whites began discreetly heading towards the exits. Two by two, White couples and individuals continued to leave the screening as the film was on, until by the film’s end only the Blacks and a handful of Whites remained. I was stunned because I assumed that the older White couples in attendance, who would have been young adults during the Sixties, surely could empathize with the Civil Rights issues dramatized with the film, but the emptying out of the theatre would seem to confirm that some Whites –no matter how tolerant- are unwilling or unable to overcome their Racial Empathy Gap and watch a dramatic film with a majority Black cast.
The fact that so many people left the screening minutes after it started does not prove anything of the sort. The writer did not interview any of the people leaving so he is assuming they all left because they're white racists who can't identify with black characters. That's very bad reporting, and irresponsible to boot. Uneducated remarks like his are common in the media and it's exactly why society appears to be moving backward instead of forward. Assumptions were made simply because some white people got up and left the movie, no questions asked why. And then they invent a new code of victimization: Racial Empathy Gap. Give me a break.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default We need MORE not less

I think these movies need to be made IN ABUNDANCE. I would prefer that they replace most of the current movies today, especially those with the stupid 'Animal House'-style humor. I'd rather see a movie about Slavery than one featuring Will Ferrell, Jennifer Aniston, Ashton Kutcher, Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Owen Wilson, Kate Perry, Steve Carell, Jack Black, John C. Reilly, Vince Vaughn, Tina Fey, Borat, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, or Matthew McConaughey.

Movies about Slavery and Civil Rights? You bet. I prefer SUBSTANCE over fluff.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:22 AM

874 posts, read 1,649,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I'd rather see a movie about Slavery than one featuring Will Ferrell, Jennifer Aniston, Ashton Kutcher, Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Owen Wilson, Kate Perry, Steve Carell, Jack Black, John C. Reilly, Vince Vaughn, Tina Fey, Borat, Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, or Matthew McConaughey.
Wow, you seem to hate a lot of actors.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I think it's run it's course for a couple years. One studio does it and they all want a piece of the action. It happens with every type of movie.

In 10 years or so a whole new crop of actors/directors will do it all over again.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:15 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
'Django Unchained' grossed over $425,000,000 internationally, including just over $162,000,000 in the USA, so the assertion that white folks won't see films with several African-American characters in leading and/or pivotal roles is total hogwash.

This African-American male enjoyed every second because when I go to see a Tarantino film, I know what to expect; on the other hand while there were some folks and blacks in particular who really excoriated the Samuel L. Jackson character in Tarantino's 'Jackie Brown' because he used a sky-high number of F-bombs, that was their problem and not Tarantino's or anybody else's.

'12 Years A Slave' has grossed a respectable $50,000,000+ so far, and will undoubtedly do very well overseas as well.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,365 times
We need to start questioning why minority films have such a problem breaking into the mainstream nowadays. Quite frankly, this is an issue that all races should be concerned with.

I would take this opportunity to rant about the Tyler Perry and Kevin Hart stuff, but no true movie buff really enjoys that junk anyway.[/quote]

I agree 1000% with the second paragraph. However, we must remember that movie making is a BUSINESS!! Which the objective is to MAKE MONEY!! It's all in the demands of the market. Are people racist because they'd rather pay the extreme prices for admission and popcorn to see Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise than spike lee or arsenio hall?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:31 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
I remember watching the miniseries "Roots" as a teenager when it aired to gigantic ratings on television in 1977. I was fascinated and interested in it at the time. Oddly, I felt no "white guilt" watching it. Why would I? I had nothing to do with the events depicted(which later on were revealed to be mostly fictional although Alex Haley claimed them mostly true). Anyway, in the 37 years since then I have grown increasingly cynical about the motivations for filming these stories.
I am tired of the subject and the moral preening and finger pointing that goes along with it. I believe it was The Butler director that stated recently making that movie made him hate white people more, even though he knew it was wrong to think that way.
I believe a lot of the motivation of making these movies is not to enlighten, but to stoke old resentments. Picking scabs doesn't help wounds heal, but it feels good when you do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies