Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 06:08 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,358,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It's all over the place & the reason for that is because people like it.
This people does not.

"Puny god" was hilarious. "Doth mother know thou weareth the drapes" was hilarious.

But humor is like a spice. Just the right amount makes the meal. But over-do it and you ruin it. Whedon overdoes it. He can't turn it off.

Not only does the constant snark get old, but the snark all sounds the same from every character. When all your characters sound the same, it's just bad dialogue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Puny god, Shakespeare in the park, Black Widow on the phone with Coulson, all funny. The ripping out the heart was wit but not in a joking way.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Black Widow on the phone with Coulson, all funny.
Actually, that one is an example of what I mean. That should have been scene filled with tension and fear. Instead, Whedon went for the yuk-yuk and spoiled it.

Watch the very first episode of TV's ALIAS for the scene Whedon ripped off, and you'll see that it is a hundred times better in every way. You get the payoff in the following clip, but you really need to see the whole scene to appreciate it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJNyJYZItQ

Old 05-13-2015, 07:31 AM

That scene went from being serious to revealing what would go on eventually but needed to be sped up due to Natasha being called in by Coulson. The best part was the reaction by the general who didn't realize he was being played.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That scene went from being serious to revealing what would go on eventually but needed to be sped up due to Natasha being called in by Coulson. The best part was the reaction by the general who didn't realize he was being played.
But because every scene of violence or conflict or tension falls into a yuk-yuk session, there is NO tension in any scene. The violence just becomes noise. The conflict bleeds out. There is no real tension at all, because our heroes don't seem the least little bit frightened or even all that concerned. We in the audience know they are in no real danger. They don't even suffer an emotional punch because they're always cracking wise. Every single character in every scene. It's just too much.

One good exception to this was from the first movie when Banner Hulked out and went after Natasha. She looked genuinely frightened out of her mind. There was no wink-wink nudge-nudge as she was fleeing for her life. And so the scene worked. If Whedon would do more of that and lay off the constant snarky schtick, his movies would pack a lot more punch.

That said ...

It's possible I'm being too hard on Whedon. Marvel is notorious for interfering with directors on movies and insisting on content changes. So much so that they had to change directors on ANT MAN because the first guy got so fed up and quit. So maybe Whedon did his best with what he had, but the suits forced the silliness. Either way, whoever is responsible needs to go away for a while.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,579,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
This people does not.

"Puny god" was hilarious. "Doth mother know thou weareth the drapes" was hilarious.

But humor is like a spice. Just the right amount makes the meal. But over-do it and you ruin it. Whedon overdoes it. He can't turn it off.

Not only does the constant snark get old, but the snark all sounds the same from every character. When all your characters sound the same, it's just bad dialogue.

None of these are going to be perfect not even close. I WANT a REAL Wolverine movie. Will it ever happen? Not in my life time. There are places in the movie where it could be more serious but let's ne honest most people love the humor side of it. Now granted The Infinity Gauntlet & Civil War are going to have much more serious over tones, & maybe Whedon is best to move on with that in mind.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
but let's ne honest most people love the humor side of it.
"Most?" No. Not most. "Most" (if not "all") Joss Whedon fans ... maybe. But they hardly represent the bulk of the movie-going public. They're just more vocal in their cult-like devotion.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against humor in action movies. I love it! But it has to be done in moderation in the right places. Whedon has no moderation. He can't turn it off. And his humor all sounds the same after a while, robbing it of any power. It's REALLY obvious that all of the characters' wit came out of the same guy's word processor.

Someone should stock a post-it to Joss's laptop, reading: Remember, Joss, not every character can be a smart ass.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:42 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,579,048 times
Quote:

Someone should stock a post-it to Joss's laptop, reading: Remember, Joss, not every character can be a smart ass.

Thor seems to be pretty much straight forward I don't remember a lot of banter coming from him.

On a side note and I know we sort of talked about this. With the induction of DD on Netflix I find it interesting that DD for example can be such a hit without the megabucks special effects & big name starts yet turn out just as good as The Avengers. Even without the huge fight scenes I would like to see more like DD on the big screen.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I find it interesting that DD for example can be such a hit without the megabucks special effects & big name starts yet turn out just as good as The Avengers.
Daredevil is better than the Avengers.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Daredevil is better than the Avengers.
Thirteen one hour episodes to establish new characters vs. two and a half to cover mostly established characters and develop five new characters. It is comparing two different media each with their own limitations.

Not detracting from Daredevil but it has far fewer limitations compared to the MCU films and also the MCU television series on ABC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies