Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

Although I know the general outline of this classic Japanese samurai story, I have never seen any part of any version.

I have also heard that the latest Keanu Reeves version was really bad.

So, for anyone who has seen more than one version, which would you recommend? [If Japanese, it must be dubbed or subtitled.]

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:01 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Keanu Reeves version was horrible.

It was showing on an international flight I was on last year, and I couldn't get past the first 15, 20 minutes. Total CGI nonsense.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:31 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
I honestly had really high hopes for this movie(Keanu version) but after it's release the reviews were horrible and I didn't end up seeing it and really don't want to.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:08 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
This movie was , quite, bad. The weapons were done well, beautiful blades, but...beyond that? Not so great. Keanu Reeves has the projection of a ball of lint, anyway. This role was totally unsuited, to him.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:20 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
A local Television station used to broadcast the year long Japanese NHK network "Taiga drama". It is about 50 hours of historical drama. Their 1964 version of the story is considered amobg the best they ever did. I saw much of a 1999 version, Genroku Ryokusa about Oishi Koshiro the samurai leader of the mission to avenge his lord.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:42 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
A local Television station used to broadcast the year long Japanese NHK network "Taiga drama". It is about 50 hours of historical drama. Their 1964 version of the story is considered amobg the best they ever did. I saw much of a 1999 version, Genroku Ryokusa about Oishi Koshiro the samurai leader of the mission to avenge his lord.
Thanks, I'll look for them.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:58 PM

That reminds me of Saturday nights when I was alone. At the start a voice, not really fluent in English would announce something like the show had been subtitled so we could learn about Japanese culture. At first the taiga dramas where on KDOC out of Orange County but after the station grew more and more episodes where being preempted for local college sports. Finally the multi language, but mostly Korean KSCI in LA picked a series but by then my viewing habit was broken.

But keep in mind the show is fifty hours the first ten or so hour you will be looking at a child's life and how his father was either a local feudal lord or in a couple of cases a commoner. Then a few more in his rise in rank. In Oishi's case you see him rise to the chief samurai under his lord who responds to hazing in the palace by pulling his sword so he is ordered to kill himself and the Aiko clan is broken up. So half a year may have been gone before he started his deception plan and gathering intelligence for the eventual attack.

Good luck in finding it. I wouldn't mind a rewatch of Hideyoshi if it was possible

Old 01-29-2015, 04:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Well, I think we may take it for granted that any mid-century Japanese version will be better than a 21st century Keanu Reeves version.

I saw the Mizoguchi version. I believe it's very respected, but I have problems with Mizoguchi. If it's a serious question with you, there is a reference book, and one or two websites, that specifically focus on Japanese films, and maybe they'll have ratings you can compare between the Mizoguchi and the Inagaki.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 8,467 times
i saw it last year, and i still can remember some scenes. Sorry to break your hope, but, Reeves's version is, horrible. nough said.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 PM

I remember enjoying the Tom Cruise version of The Last Samurai more than the historical TV drama of the subject matter so when Keanu Reeves was announced as the star I was more worried about how would a two hour movie be able to handle the time frame and Oishi's long game plan then any "white washing" or sticking Americans into the play.

Then I saw the first trailer for the movie They made Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies