Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Making a great FF movie shouldn't be this hard.

Go back and read the first 50 issues of the comic. Do that. End of story.

The studio FF films are failing because they are trying to fix what isn't broken.

IKR! hOW DO YOU FLUNK AN OPEN-BOOK TEST!!????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:00 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think Fox fears that Disney would make beaucoup on their ROI if they sell the rights back. Even if there are flaws in MCU movies (I'm looking at you Thor: The Dark World) these movies make money. The Fantastic Four would need a good writer and director. Peyton Reed wrote up a pretty good period Fantastic Four script in about 2002, one that was well liked enough he was on the shortlist of directors/writers for Ant-Man after Edgar Wright left as director. Now granted Reed's comical period piece version wouldn't exactly work in the MCU but maybe it could create a true family dynamic for the Four that was missing from this one (one of the few knocks I had on it besides the ending.)

Fox knew this movie was bad so perhaps they just did the movie and announced a sequel to it to hold the rights. I really feel Trank had a hold of the characters the problem was it really seemed like 15-20 minutes from the film (those action scenes and a bit of character explanation.)
James Cameron needs to take on FF!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
IKR! hOW DO YOU FLUNK AN OPEN-BOOK TEST!!????
Too many cooks in the kitchen. Fox did this with X-Men 3 and Origins: Wolverine besides going to the Elektra and Rise of the Silver Surfer movies. This however was a huge bomb. I liked it but I only needed to see it once in theaters due to the ending. Had it been "Trank's cut" with the finished scenes (that Thing going down from the helicopter allegedly was cut due to not being finished) we would have had a really good/great film as oppose to one that was really good with specks of being great first two thirds and a meh sandwich of a third act onto a rushed final battle.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
that Thing going down from the helicopter allegedly was cut due to not being finished
If that is truly the reason it was excised from the theatrical cut, it makes no sense. It was in multiple trailers, looked fine (best thing about the movie that I saw) and it looked better than the two shots of Reed running (and "throwing" his elongated arms) and Thing running and punching what looks like a rolling magma boulder. Those two shots looked UNfinished. Are they in the actual movie, too?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
If that is truly the reason it was excised from the theatrical cut, it makes no sense. It was in multiple trailers, looked fine (best thing about the movie that I saw) and it looked better than the two shots of Reed running (and "throwing" his elongated arms) and Thing running and punching what looks like a rolling magma boulder. Those two shots looked UNfinished. Are they in the actual movie, too?
I wasn't in the editing room but it seems that was the case from all sources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08hQQebKi54

Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
I finally watched this on DVD last night.

Much to my surprise, I found myself really enjoying the first half of the movie. Perfect balance between the science and the fiction. The actors were all really good. I kept saying, "This is really pretty good."

And then they got their powers and the entire movie absolutely fell apart. It went from a pretty decent science fiction super hero flick to an absolutely mess. Character motivations went out the window. The villain was stupid and looked horrible. The dialogue got so bad that I think they may have been making up some of it as they went along. A real shame, considering the first half of the movie was so well done.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:30 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:
I finally watched this on DVD last night.

Much to my surprise, I found myself really enjoying the first half of the movie. Perfect balance between the science and the fiction. The actors were all really good. I kept saying, "This is really pretty good."

And then they got their powers and the entire movie absolutely fell apart. It went from a pretty decent science fiction super hero flick to an absolutely mess. Character motivations went out the window. The villain was stupid and looked horrible. The dialogue got so bad that I think they may have been making up some of it as they went along. A real shame, considering the first half of the movie was so well done.
This movie is like a checklist of terrible ideas in movie making. They have several fantastic scripts from up-and-coming talents, but settle on a boring one instead. They bring in a young director to get his take on the Fantastic Four, but then exert domineering control over the project. They cut the director's budget and make him lose several action pieces, then do re-shoots without him and add back in several action pieces. The cast and crew became unenthusiastic and even malicious on the set because the director never had control of the project and the studio made sure everyone knew it. The studio leaves the director out in the rain, but then acts surprised when he lashes out at them for ruining his movie.

Film students should study this movie and it's development/production to see exactly what not to do.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:33 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Any comic book fans out there? If you are, you know the Fantastic Four. They launcehed the Marvel Age of comics in 1961. As you know, they new movie will be taking some serious liberties with the FF. The cast did an interview with an Atlanta DJ and were asked some questions..........it went down hill from there.

I had no problem with the question or how it was asked........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bBw...ature=youtu.be

It's funny how this PC society tries to belittle the people who ask the obvious questions on this........A 50 year-old comic book brother and sister are all of a sudden "different races" and you cant ask WHY?? "It's just a movie" is what this guy says....."Oh he's JUST a radio DJ", as if all of those "types" have no brains.....and THEN the chick on the right puts down the stererotypical "southerner" jab. People who dont have logical answers for obvious discrepancies ALWAYS resort to name calling. Yes......the DJ asked a great question. Was there an adoption? There had to be either that of a marriage between Sue's white mom and Johnny's black dad......me and my black wife just dont pop out a white child. And now we cant even ask that question? Even fiction should have a logical back story.

Why is it wrong now, to even ask the obvious?
I disagree with you on how the question was asked because I thought that the guy could have been a bit more tactful in the way that he asked, but I agree with you that people shouldn't be ashamed to have asked the question about Johnny and Sue being brother and sister.

Also, the male host in the middle said something about how in this day and age, the question shouldn't have even been asked. But I disagree because for some people, it's simply a matter of curiosity.

P.S. Also, sorry if I missed some points because I didn't read this whole thread.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Just give the FF back to Marvel already. Fox obviously can't figure it out.

How Marvel makes movies: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

How Fox makes Marvel movies: "If it ain't broke, let's break it, then reassemble it according to the feedback from our focus groups and market research."
Good points. Although interestingly, for some reason, the "If it ain't broke, let's break it" seems to work for DC comics TV shows, which turn out to be quite fun and quite interesting... however, it seems like with the biggest Marvel movies such as Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Avengers, and Captain America, it seems like sticking to the source material from the 1960s seems to work better for some reason.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Interesting video, although I thought that the guy was a bit too passionate about this subject for my taste, but he makes a lot of good points. However, I disagree with him about the humor at the end when they were trying to figure out a name for themselves, and I laughed out loud when Johnny said to Ben that maybe they should call themselves two guys and a girl... and a thing that nobody wanted. And Reed had to stop Ben from swatting Johnny, but I thought that scene captured the humor and the teasing from 1960s comic book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies