Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,260,799 times

Advertisements

I'm not impressed by the effect of 3d. Some of the "separation" effects, like reflections on windows, don't make sense. A movie like Avatar was best viewed on a big screen, but after the novelty wore off, I'm not really interested in 3d as it's currently used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There is, but what's plausible about the "Na'vi 'of the Plains'," on a moon that sits in the shadow of a larger planet?
I don't follow what you're saying. The moon and planet in Avatar is partly a reference to Saturn and its moons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 12:35 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I'm not impressed by the effect of 3d. Some of the "separation" effects, like reflections on windows, don't make sense. A movie like Avatar was best viewed on a big screen, but after the novelty wore off, I'm not really interested in 3d as it's currently used.

I don't follow what you're saying. The moon and planet in Avatar is partly a reference to Saturn and its moons.
So how can there be "plains"? How near is the sun? Why do the Na'vi evoke Native Americans with cat fur?

Stuff like that. Avatar was space opera. There's hardly any believable science in it. Cameron even said the VFX were the film's main selling point.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:19 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,260,799 times
Well, the Avatar planet and moon are set in the real Alpha Centauri system, which is a system of 3 stars. Perhaps it's in the "goldilocks" zone where all 3 stars keep the moon warm, regardless of the planet's position. I don't remember if they made reference to that in the movie.

Also, the fictional mineral that humans are mining is charged by the giant planet's gravitational pull-- the floating mountains are supposed to resemble Saturn's rings of floating rocks. So it isn't completely "hot air" like the Star Wars fictional galaxy or other space operas.

The design of the Na'vi is artistic license, but they aren't related to Native Americans obviously, or "cats" or feline-based. They're probably descendants of the flying dragons, similar to humans and apes.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,993,213 times
Avatar is pure science compared to most of the Star Wars series. One could spend hours picking apart various Star Wars gems.....though there have been seven movies to work with. The coughing robot in Revenge of the Sith comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
So how can there be "plains"? How near is the sun? Why do the Na'vi evoke Native Americans with cat fur?

Stuff like that. Avatar was space opera. There's hardly any believable science in it. Cameron even said the VFX were the film's main selling point.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:37 PM

211 posts, read 214,231 times
My favorite movie of all time. Cameron is a master storyteller and a visual god. I will be there opening day!

Old 12-29-2015, 06:16 PM

He may well be our most talented director. I made a thread about this once. Nobody responded.... as I faintly recall. Abrams is also doing himself proud lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
My favorite movie of all time. Cameron is a master storyteller and a visual god. I will be there opening day!

Old 12-29-2015, 06:23 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,636,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
He may well be our most talented director. I made a thread about this once. Nobody responded.... as I faintly recall. Abrams is also doing himself proud lately.
There are MANY more talented directors than James Cameron, lol...he is super overrated. His best movie that I saw was Terminator. He does a pretty good job telling boring stories in visually interesting ways though.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
There are MANY more talented directors than James Cameron, lol...
You can say that again. Bigelow (Cameron's ex), Iñarritu, Miller, Nolan, Snyder...all better directors than Cameron. Yes, I said Snyder.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:44 AM

Alright....to each their own. Cameron is clearly one of the best entertainers. Still #1 and #2 releases...inflation adjusted....over the past 20 years. Though Star Wars will surely over take them very soon.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Well, the Avatar planet and moon are set in the real Alpha Centauri system, which is a system of 3 stars. Perhaps it's in the "goldilocks" zone where all 3 stars keep the moon warm, regardless of the planet's position. I don't remember if they made reference to that in the movie.
Locations are one thing. Anything can be set in "fill-in-the-blank" solar system, but then everything else, like time dilation (which virtually everyone ignores, anyway), is absent. Avatar is a "magic whitey" tale set in outer space.

Quote:
Also, the fictional mineral that humans are mining is charged by the giant planet's gravitational pull-- the floating mountains are supposed to resemble Saturn's rings of floating rocks. So it isn't completely "hot air" like the Star Wars fictional galaxy or other space operas.
Borrowed from the artwork Roger Dean created for several Yes albums. Totally obvious.

Quote:
The design of the Na'vi is artistic license, but they aren't related to Native Americans obviously, or "cats" or feline-based. They're probably descendants of the flying dragons, similar to humans and apes.
When I heard "Na'vi of the Plains" uttered in Avatar, I rolled my eyes. That's clearly a riff on Native Americans "of the Plains." Look at their garb. As far as catlike aspects, their appearance is rather feline, and it's not subtle. They don't have whiskers, but the wide flat bridge of the nose and large eyes suggest a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies