Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,944,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I liked Wonder Woman's dedication to mission, which resonates with me personally, and caused me to re-dedicate myself to mission.
Gal Gadot is and was a great Wonder Woman.Wonder Woman's issues I had weren't with Gal but rather a plot basically used in Captain America: The First Avenger bit with the Paradise Island and Greek mythology in Wonder Woman's mythos.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was fresh. There was no backstory of the radioactive or mutated spider bitting him like in both Spider-Man 1s, Spider-Man clearly looked and felt like a high school movie with Spider-Man rather than a Spider-Man shoehorned into high school (half of Reimi's Spider-Man and all of Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man. It also didn't seem like Parker was an adult but an awkward teen with a mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,842,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Gal Gadot is and was a great Wonder Woman.Wonder Woman's issues I had weren't with Gal but rather a plot basically used in Captain America: The First Avenger bit with the Paradise Island and Greek mythology in Wonder Woman's mythos.

Spider-Man: Homecoming was fresh. There was no backstory of the radioactive or mutated spider bitting him like in both Spider-Man 1s, Spider-Man clearly looked and felt like a high school movie with Spider-Man rather than a Spider-Man shoehorned into high school (half of Reimi's Spider-Man and all of Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man. It also didn't seem like Parker was an adult but an awkward teen with a mouth.
After a while, I got tired of his awkwardness. I was a teen too, and a nerd (I sold freaking Marvel comics on the school steps when I was in junior high in 65). I wrote an 8th grade essay on how comics improved reading and comprehension. I used the Benjamin Grimm as my poster illustration to run for class president in the 8th grade (I didn't win--I realize now that there were probably only two kids in the school who know who the Fantastic Four were).

I have not in my life gotten a basketball through a hoop. I ran track for a year in high school, running long distance because I knew everyone would be gone by the time the race finished.

I was a first class nerd.

But I wasn't that awkward. Not all the time, over the same things. A lot of times, Peter wasn't just awkward, he was a dumb-azz. He's actually supposed to be the smartest kid in a magnet school, which means being able to figure technical things out pretty quickly (which is the forte of a teenaged boy anyway) and do some critical thinking.

He really should have gotten the suit figured out in the time he spent locked in the government vault. He should have come out of that on top of it.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
One synopsis I read was Stark gave Parker a suit filled with gadgets. So Iron Spider-Man?

Will wait for the DVD.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
After a while, I got tired of his awkwardness. I was a teen too, and a nerd (I sold freaking Marvel comics on the school steps when I was in junior high in 65). I wrote an 8th grade essay on how comics improved reading and comprehension. I used the Benjamin Grimm as my poster illustration to run for class president in the 8th grade (I didn't win--I realize now that there were probably only two kids in the school who know who the Fantastic Four were).

I have not in my life gotten a basketball through a hoop. I ran track for a year in high school, running long distance because I knew everyone would be gone by the time the race finished.

I was a first class nerd.

But I wasn't that awkward. Not all the time, over the same things. A lot of times, Peter wasn't just awkward, he was a dumb-azz. He's actually supposed to be the smartest kid in a magnet school, which means being able to figure technical things out pretty quickly (which is the forte of a teenaged boy anyway) and do some critical thinking.

He really should have gotten the suit figured out in the time he spent locked in the government vault. He should have come out of that on top of it.
If you sold comics, you would know that in the Spider-Man comics Peter was that awkward in the comics. He didn't really fit in during high school. It wasn't until college he was not and got the attention of Gwen Stacy that his life starting turning around socially. He also dated Betty Brant but that kind of went nowhere...

Old 07-08-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
One synopsis I read was Stark gave Parker a suit filled with gadgets. So Iron Spider-Man?

Will wait for the DVD.
Spoiler
The original Civil War suit had a lot of upgrades to them as seen in Captain America: Civil War. Stark turned most off for"training wheels mode."

There was however a tease you that suit but Parker declined it to stay "Your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man" instead.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
If you sold comics, you would know that in the Spider-Man comics Peter was that awkward in the comics. He didn't really fit in during high school. It wasn't until college he was not and got the attention of Gwen Stacy that his life starting turning around socially. He also dated Betty Brant but that kind of went nowhere...
He was never that awkward as Spider-man, which is what clearly talking about. As Spider-man he was always competent.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 AM

10,368 posts, read 8,011,837 times
I wasn't excited about this movie at all, so I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Awkward teen Peter Parker was a delight, Michael Keaton gave his usual wonderful performance, and that final post-credit scene got the biggest laugh I've heard from a movie audience in a very long time. I think I'm going to go see it again this afternoon.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 AM

735 posts, read 1,172,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I wasn't excited about this movie at all, so I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Awkward teen Peter Parker was a delight, Michael Keaton gave his usual wonderful performance, and that final post-credit scene got the biggest laugh I've heard from a movie audience in a very long time. I think I'm going to go see it again this afternoon.
I will do you one better- this was the best Spider-man movie I have seen in the past ten years.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:34 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,631,528 times
Quote:

The Webb reboot happened because they wanted a Parker who was still in high school. What's the big difference here, besides Holland's annoying prepubescent voice?

Spider-bite origin was moved over for a V2.0 origin enabled by Stark. Which, to me, ain't Spider-Man if you're still going with Peter Parker-as-webslinger.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post

Spider-bite origin was moved over for a V2.0 origin enabled by Stark. Which, to me, ain't Spider-Man if you're still going with Peter Parker-as-webslinger.
?

Peter still references his spider bite in this movie.

This movie takes a major theme from Ironman 3--stated directly by Tony Stark. But that theme is rather artificial, in that Stark creates the problem that Peter has to overcome "It's you, not the suit." When Peter learns that lesson, Tony takes the credit for fine mentoring.

Kind of the same thing Stark did with Toomes...creates the problem that someone else has to overcome...but takes the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies