Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 AM

9,380 posts, read 6,998,523 times

Advertisements

I'm confused by the thread title:

Is op a minority that saw la la land and has a negative view? Or is op comsidering him/herself to be in the minority due to a negative opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 10:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
I dont know how it got alot of nominations when i saw the tralier it was so bad that the cars 2 film was better even through i hated Cars 2 i wont even watch La La Land even if i am paid to watch La La Land
I don't see how you can question a movie's nominations when you haven't even seen the movie.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:46 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,632,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I'm confused by the thread title:

Is op a minority that saw la la land and has a negative view? Or is op comsidering him/herself to be in the minority due to a negative opinion?
LOL, same here. I first opened the thread because I thought OP was a minority, but then I thought maybe not.

I am a minority, didn't see the film, and have no interest in seeing it. The only musical I like is Phantom of the Opera with Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:10 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,097,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
LOL, same here. I first opened the thread because I thought OP was a minority, but then I thought maybe not.

I am a minority, didn't see the film, and have no interest in seeing it. The only musical I like is Phantom of the Opera with Emmy Rossum and Gerard Butler.
My favorite musical is still "Paint Your Wagon", with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin. That's how much I like musicals!

Old 02-27-2017, 05:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,069,197 times
Ooops! Audience thought La La Land won best picture. . . until the PhoneyWood folks decided to read the card correctly.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,958,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Ooops! Audience thought La La Land won best picture. . . until the PhoneyWood folks decided to read the card correctly.
It wasn't the actors fault...they were given the wrong card.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:29 AM

4,854 posts, read 3,656,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I just went to see "La La Land." I admit I'm not a fan of musicals, but I'd heard it was so great that I was willing to give it a try. After all, there are a few I do like.

But it was worse than I ever dreamed. Tepid, bland, shallow, dull. It seems like most musicals are basically romances, but usually there is something - an intriguing story, an unusual setting, some unforgettable characters, a villain to propel the plot. This had nothing. No interesting characters. No touching relationship. No memorable dialogue (or lyrics). Even the cinematography was less than mediocre. (There's an opening number where all the faces are in shadow.) The only thing that enabled me to sit through it was Ryan Gosling, whom I really like. But this is one of the worst movie I've seen this year.

And it's getting rave reviews.

Glad we share this opinion. I mean, do we need a movie about young white people tripping around. I think the title was fitting, as most in Hollywood are in la-la-land.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:37 AM

19,853 posts, read 9,412,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
My favorite musical is still "Paint Your Wagon", with Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin. That's how much I like musicals!
That is my favorite musical, too! (and it was also my dad's)! I don't know why it got so many horrible reviews when it came out.

And who knew back then that Clint Eastwood could actually sing so well!

As a side note, I read or heard once that Eastwood claimed that it was he decided to become a director because he was so fed up with the Joshua Logan, the director of that movie -- I think it had to do with him being very disorganized -- and he knew he could be a be a better director that Logan was.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM

32,122 posts, read 34,797,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don’t. Just hints....Seb can afford to live alone, while Mia has roommates. (She seems to come off as much younger than he.) He appears to have a history with work in L.A. He seems less prone to emotional outbursts. He LOOKS older (compare him w/ his roles in "The Notebook" and "Lars and the Real Girl," in which he DOES look like someone in his 20s).

Gordon Levitt looks younger than his age, and acts young in "500."

And
Spoiler
If he's a little older, then Seb's situation at the end is much more believable – what kid in his 20s owns a bar in L.A.?
Good points.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
I love musicals. My family loves musicals. Four of us went to see it this weekend One liked it. One hated it. Two thought it was "OK"

The woman did a good job acting and a meh job singing. Her untrained breathy voice was cute for a little while, but got old.

The guy did a poor job acting, but a very good job singing. He was obviously not a musician and clearly has no love of Jazz.

They barely managed any chemistry between them. Most scenes were lacing chemistry. She is not that pretty, but at least cute in an alien being sort of way. Unless he is gay in real life, it seems he could have at least pretended to be attracted to her a little better. She did all right in that regard most of the time, but not all the time. I came away with the impression the actors really dislike each other, or at least are uncomfortable with each other. Maybe they are recently married to other people so the scenes were awkward?

The "musical" was more of a dancical. Not really all that much music. Much of the music did not really fit into the story. The lead in to the first song on the hill was cute and well done. That song had potential, but it needed a musician to re-write it and make it musical. Maybe it was that producer's beau again.

It could not make up its mind what it was. At times it tried to be full on Crazy Ex Girlfriend, then it tried to take itself seriously. The story was unsatisfying, jerky, and shallow. The alternate ending made no sense. Whose alternate ending was it? Couldn't be his, because in that ending he gave up his dream. Couldn't be hers because a mom would not have erased her kid and replaced her. Many of the alternate events could not make sense for anyone's dream. Was that just filler? It did not seem like the movie was too short without it. I suppose the idea could have been cute if it had been done well.

I went expecting a movie about Jazz with a focus on Jazz music.

It was a movie about two people, one of them happened to like Jazz (sort of), but it was kind of a side thing. It did not focus on Jazz. He rarely played any Jazz, and the only Jazz music was a handful of scenes in the bar.

It was impressive to learn the actor learned to sing and play piano just for the movie. He actually played some of the parts that showed him playing (not the parts where he was good, the really basic stuff, but still to be able to play anything decent in less than a year is remarkable). Obvuosly there is no way he was going to learn to play jazz, but some of the playing was faked anyway, couldn't they have him a little more involved in jazz since that was supposed to be his thing?

Some parts were cute/touching, but it was not enough. Not quite as good as the classic musicals. Not a good enough story for a multi million dollar movie.

It will probably appeal to the hipster/Pseudo-artsy crowd. I expect it will be one of those emperors new clothes movies for the hipster crowd. They will not really understand or enjoy it, but if you do not say you loved it, you will be considered somewhat of a cad, because that is what you are supposed to say.

The dancing we mostly good. Much of it did not fit in with the music, so it became a break form the song rather than a part of the song. Some seemed like they had not practiced enough.

Overall a lack of practice seemed to be a bane of most of the movie. A few scenes were spectacular, usually the woman's scenes without the guy.

The one of my family who really liked it was my 17 year old son who is a jazz musician. That surprised me. Interestingly, the one I expected would love it, my daughter (25) who has performed in many musicals often as lead, and who hangs out with the hipster crowd, was the one who basically hated it. My wife and I both felt it would have been a great movie to have stumbled onto on Netflix one evening, but to drive an hour, wait 35 minutes, pay $6.50 each and sit through 2 plus hours - it was not really worth it. We did see it in a really cool theater with full reclining lazy boy type chairs with foot rests ect. The seats were nicely spaced instead of crammed in. Very comfy but hard to stay awake at times.

I agree with the PP the opening song/dance was pretty awful and did not relate to the story at all. Cutting it would have made the movie better. I liked the concept. They were clearly trying to copy the street dance scene from Fame which I loved, but they missed the mark. It looked more like a demonstration of gymnastics and extreme games than a song/dance routine. Plus many of the signers were weak and you could not understand them and the song? Well - start over please. Must have been written by the producer's new boyfriend who always wanted to be a composer so it had to be included despite not being very good.

Oh an in case this thread was supposed to be for minorities to give their opinions of the movie - I am left handed. (I assumed it meant they felt not liking the movie would be a minority opinion)

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-27-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies