Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 04:37 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,619,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Because the original with Clint
You could've stopped right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 05:15 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
I'm interested in this movie, but I can't picture a movie in this time setting without mention of a black character.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:01 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
I was six when I first saw this movie and loved it immediately. My Sister and I watched it every chance we got and when she told me about this remake we both felt that since the movie took place out of modernity, that it probably would not be an improvement on Clint's version.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I hate remakes. Have never seen a good one.
True Grit
Ocean's Eleven
The Departed
An Affair to Remember

Everyone can have an opinion, but what I'm seeing in this thread is that there's a certain generation of movie-goers that fetishize Clint Eastwood. I'm more interested to see what Sophia Coppola does from a different, more modern (and dare I say feminist?) perspective.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:58 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
The original version of The Beguiled (1971) should have more fans. Not only do I think it's Eastwood's best film (either as actor or director), but it's also one of my top 10 favorite all-time films - and I also feel it's one of the best films of the '70's. The film throws off a lot of people because they probably start watching it expecting Clint to be in his typical "tough guy" role, and when his persona in the film is actually completely out of character - most fans are disappointed. However, I like it because he's so different in this film. The star here is not CE, but the women in the school where he takes shelter. He is almost in a secondary role here, and is in many ways intentionally overshadowed by all of the great actresses in the film - i.e., the administrator/school-teacher at the girls school, as well as the students there.

Also, I really dig the "southern gothic" aspect - extremely unnerving, creepy, and brilliant.

So, I don't have much interest in the SF re-make coming out soon. That being said, I will probably check this out (when it hits DVD or Blu-ray) due to my being a big fan of Kirsten Dunst & Sofia Coppola's past collaborations (Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette).

Old 06-26-2017, 10:50 AM

109 posts, read 66,411 times
Sofia Coppola always offers a unique perspective in her films. I never saw the original version of "Beguiled" but I plan to watch Coppola's version. It looks very interesting.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:34 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
The original with Clint Eastwood is masterpiece so there was no need for a remake. The film was based on a book that included several black characters.

I read Sofia Coppola's answer regarding cutting the black characters, Hallie (Mattie in the book) and the teacher Edwina (mulatto in the book), out of her version. The undertone was the avoidance of black female femininity and sexuality (especially when it involves white men) and the discomfort of having to deal with the complexities of the history of that time.

Sofia Coppola’s whitewashed new movie The Beguiled.

ETA: there is a much deeper discussion to be had regarding this movie and the reasons that Sofia Coppola easily erased the black women characters from the film but I'm not sure that the REAL discussion can take place in this forum.

Last edited by calipoppy; 06-27-2017 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 04:46 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I'm interested in this movie, but I can't picture a movie in this time setting without mention of a black character.
I don't remember any blacks in the movie.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
The Clint Eastwood version was good enough. Not sure why they felt the need to remake this movie.
Because she isn't very talented, and needs a strong template.

Most of her movies are self-indulgent masturbation with "poor spolied me" themes. Lost in Translation was charming but dramatically overrated, Marie Antoinete a joke, and her other films not even good enough to get on the radar. She is a sad example of Hollywood nepotism run wild, IMO.

By the by, anyone think that this story might have suplied part of the DNA for Stephen King's MISERY?

Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times
Now I'm positive I will go see this in a theater if / when it comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies