Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:15 AM

29,444 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm watching the original on Blu-Ray and, for the first time, noticed Goose's reference to Penny Benjamin during their first chew-out session aboard the carrier. Had to reply the scene with subtitles to confirm. I don't remember her ever being mentioned again in the original, but I'll now pay close attention as I watch further.

I doubt anyone came away from the original with the name Penny Benjamin on their radar. But it is so cool that she becomes a major player in the new one.
When my wife and I watched it with another couple last Friday we all picked up on it. I thought it was a cool way to reflect back to the first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 09:18 AM

It is amazing how big of a dick Don Draper, I mean, John Ham can play as Admiral Beau “Cyclone” Simpson.

Hmm...there actually might be a pun there...if what has been said on the interwebs is true.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:21 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
There's nothing wrong with her. As she stated, she looks age appropriate. Val Kilmer also fits the aesthetic of being "old and fat" with major health issues and Iceman was brought back. Jennifer definitely rocked it and looked great but it would have been nice to have everyone come back. Especially since both Kelly and Meg played major vital roles in the original.
In a movie role as a love interest? Clearly, you can't be taken seriously and will be ignored going forward.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
In a movie role as a love interest? Clearly, you can't be taken seriously and will be ignored going forward.
Come on man, just picture the current Kelly McGillis climbing on top of Tom Cruise in a love scene...on IMAX.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
When my wife and I watched it with another couple last Friday we all picked up on it. I thought it was a cool way to reflect back to the first one.
Indeed it is.

Today, there is ample reason to pick up on a mention of Penny Benjamin in the original. That's why I did yesterday for the first time. Back in the day, there wasn't. It was merely a name mentioned in passing like a million others in movies/shows without cause to think you'd ever see them or they would ever be mentioned again.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:39 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Hilarious that you think your opinion holds any significance to even care about being ignored. I think one of your last post claimed you got your car license in 1967. Yeah I don't think an old coot should be talking sideways about any other senior's appearance.

And she doesn't have to play his love interest in the 2nd film. She could have easily played his ex lover and and retired professor. It doesn't matter. She played a major role in the first film and for her to be essentially written out for aesthetics doesn't make any logical sense.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:48 AM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
The fight scenes were phenomenal, definitely worth the almost 40 year wait for a sequel. Tom Cruise might be a Nut, but he can make one hell of a movie!

Old 06-03-2022, 11:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Hilarious that you think your opinion holds any significance to even care about being ignored. I think one of your last post claimed you got your car license in 1967. Yeah I don't think an old coot should be talking sideways about any other senior's appearance.

And she doesn't have to play his love interest in the 2nd film. She could have easily played his ex lover and and retired professor. It doesn't matter. She played a major role in the first film and for her to be essentially written out for aesthetics doesn't make any logical sense.
I actually agree with this. I kept thinking, Where is she, where is she? the entire time I was watching the movie. The second one, that is.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:32 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Drove past the “Top Gun” house, in Oceanside today. The City has “barrowed” the Kawasaki Ninja used in the first TG movie. The TG house is open.
They sell T-Shirts
Coffee
Ice cream
Other assorted junk.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Gun 2 flying into theaters summer 2019-169a299b-c0b3-42a1-b382-291ffdd331d3.jpeg  

Old 06-04-2022, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Drove past the “Top Gun” house, in Oceanside today. The City has “barrowed” the Kawasaki Ninja used in the first TG movie. The TG house is open.
They sell T-Shirts
Coffee
Ice cream
Other assorted junk.
Thanks for posting this.

One look at that photo begged the question what's wrong with this picture? So I did some investigating. First thought was that we're seeing new hotel or condo construction around and behind it. While that much is true, the rest of the story is that the house was moved 2 years ago up the street a little ways to an altogether different location.

https://imageresizer.static9.net.au/...d-1a0559cfc56c

Six floors of new condos now sit where the old house was from 1887 to sometime late 2019 or early 2020. The house was revamped/rebuilt, sitting in it's new location....and thus has become akin to a slot machine in my view. Not the genuine article at all - merely a huge revenue generator.

In the end, though, I suppose that's better than just being demolished as most everything else in that area was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies