Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 12:44 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Kaufman's Invasion will always be the best film. Ferrara, a good director, couldn't get near it with his '90s redo.
Yeah, I meant the '70s version. I had completely forgotten about the '90s version. Never saw it.

Quote:
The remake of True Grit was alright, mostly for the cast, but it fizzles out at the end.
I disagree. The remake is much closer to the original novel and doesn't suffer from being "a John Wayne movie" --- and I say that as someone who liked the original movie quite a lot.

Quote:
Can you be more specific about TM7? I really hope you don't mean the recent one.
I meant the 1960 version, which is a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. The 1960 version of TMS still stands up as one of the all-time great Westerns. The remake from a year or so ago had its moments but was mostly pretty forgettable.

Quote:
Peter Jackson's King Kong doesn't hold up beyond the special effects. The overall story is a coaster.
Wrong! The story improves on the original in every way. The monsters are scarier. The natives are scary and less white-fright African stereotype. And the crux of the film --- the relationship between Anne and Kong --- is superior in every way.

I love the original King Kong for what it was, but it was very much a movie of its era. The 1970s version has a few good moments but as a whole is pretty awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The same cannot be said of Space Balls, which is just making fun of a genre that Brooks obviously finds silly and doesn't understand.
This Space Balls movie you speak of is an impostor!

Spaceballs ROCKS!

(No, it's not as good as Blazing Saddles, which is primo Melosity. I also love History of the World Part 1.)

Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,613,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Wrong! The story improves on the original in every way. The monsters are scarier. The natives are scary and less white-fright African stereotype. And the crux of the film --- the relationship between Anne and Kong --- is superior in every way.

I love the original King Kong for what it was, but it was very much a movie of its era. The 1970s version has a few good moments but as a whole is pretty awful.
No, you're wrong! King Kong '76 is a much better MOVIE. Kong's death is much more emotional. The practical effects are great. It feels more epic.

The only thing Jackson's movie has over it is CGI (and some pretty nice cinematography). But they don't explain how they get Kong's giant furry ass onto that li'l yacht, let again haul his ass up to the harbor in NY. And while it looks cool on a VISUAL level, the myriad lifeforms coexisting in such close proximity on the island makes no sense on a grand eco level. Even Kong: Skull Island (with its threadbare recycled plot) does that part better.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:35 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Spaceballs ROCKS! [/i].)
... maybe like Foo Fighters: Always a track or three to enjoy, but the whole album is meh.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:03 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
No, you're wrong! King Kong '76 is a much better MOVIE. Kong's death is much more emotional. The practical effects are great. It feels more epic.

The only thing Jackson's movie has over it is CGI (and some pretty nice cinematography). But they don't explain how they get Kong's giant furry ass onto that li'l yacht, let again haul his ass up to the harbor in NY. And while it looks cool on a VISUAL level, the myriad lifeforms coexisting in such close proximity on the island makes no sense on a grand eco level. Even Kong: Skull Island (with its threadbare recycled plot) does that part better.
I thought King Kong (2005) was pretty good, actually I really enjoyed it I must say. One of Jack Blacks best movies. I'm also a fan of Adrien Brody. But, no, they don't explain how they got Kong from the water into the boat in those dangerous waters, that I remember anyway... but its been a few years since I have seen it. I don't remember anything from previous Kong movies.

Kong: Skull Island was fun to watch and the quality was good, but I don't think it's in the same class as King Kong (2005). That said, John Reilly, an actor I don't care for, did well, and it wasn't quite his usual performance.

Oh, and getting back on topic... I won't lie, I'm mostly tired of superhero movies as well. Marvel kind of ruined it for me by putting out too many movies and too many tv shows. I used to love their movies, but it got to the point where I couldn't keep up with everything they were putting out and now I don't even try. Ironman and the Avengers are some of my favorite movies out there, but I've lost interest in their newer stuff, and have no interest in their tv shows. I don't even know what movies they have released recently or what is coming out.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
And again, there are 600 to 700 movies out of Hollywood, and most are not superhero movies.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:46 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I used to complain on here that I was kind of tired of the same old super hero movies year in and year out, and that there had to be some signs of audience fatigue.

The genre is still going strong, and two of the best movies I've seen this year were comic book super hero movies.

As long as it's not the usual "save the world" nonsense with titanic battles taking in and among city skyscrapers and city buses and panicked civilians run amok and National Guard tanks roll in, I'm ok with them. That's sooo cliche and boring.

Oh, and the bad guy villain surrounded by a huge rotating energy beam with flying debris that stretches into the heavens, that the heroes must penetrate to defeat the bad guy.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:18 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And again, there are 600 to 700 movies out of Hollywood, and most are not superhero movies.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think anyone is arguing against that since the OP. I live in a smaller city (or big town) and 2 of the 9 movies showing right now are superhero movies. Justice League and Thor: Ragnarak. Superhero movies are popular and many of the biggest hits of the year are superhero movies, so perhaps that is why the OP thinks superhero movies are over saturating the market. They may be a small percentage, but they make a big splash.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:08 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
The movies coming out now are terrible in general. Compare movies now to what came out back in the 90's.

There was a huge hit coming out every week back then. Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, The Lion King, Pulp Fiction, The Matrix, Interview with a Vampire, Seven, Schindler's List, Toy Story, Fight Club, Saving Private Ryan.... the list is endless.

I can name more good movies in one year from the 90's than there has been this entire decade so far.

Movies now are crap and there has been a slump for quite a few years now. Even the 2000's were better.

When I saw how many people thought Get Out was a really good movie. I knew it was over and the movie industry was dead.

Get out vs Seven or Silence of the Lambs.

Lol at that one!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies