Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times

Advertisements

It's one of those movies I can never decide on cause on one hand, I feel I should enjoy it as a mindlessly entertaining action movie, but on the other, the movie keeps trying to shove a moral message down the viewer's throat, which I thought came off as forced, since the movie never really deals with it or introduces it properly.

But what do you think of the movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 08:30 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Typical 80's action flick.

Dumb as heck but I love it.

Best scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32sLgUoj91o

Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times
The thing about that scene is that later one, when Cobra encounters the same guys parked outside his place, they are listening to the exact same song. Do they play the same song over and over again, as they hang out parked there, all day and night lol.

I kind of love it, even though it is dumb as heck as well. I didn't like how they had the montage with the Angel of the City song playing as Cobra is looking for leads, cause that montage doesn't go anywhere, plot wise. I also feel the opening killing of the woman by the gang, didn't really add anything either, as the police said, we'll just have to wait for them to strike again, and it therefore, didn't make any difference in the plot. But still something about the movie, keeps bringing me back.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:34 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
I saw it in the theater on opening weekend. As my friend's dad was driving us home, he said, "The only reason that movie ended was because Cobra ran out of people to kill."

Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I saw it in the theater on opening weekend. As my friend's dad was driving us home, he said, "The only reason that movie ended was because Cobra ran out of people to kill."
That's because adults are wise enough to scoff at idiocy. I was 19 when it came out. 19 year olds aren't so wise; I enjoyed it as much as any action flick as a young guy full of fire and brimstone. Aliens came out same year, which was hugely more iconic, better directed, etc. with pop cultural influences waaaay ahead of its time: can anyone say, "HALO" and similar, mid to late 1990s?

Nothing thoughtful about it, typical themes:

1. Rogue who doesn't follow the rules is a one-man SWAT team.
2. Shooting bad guys dead is the proper solution vs. adjudication.
3. Rogue gets hot girl in distress, a (very) hot future wife of Stallone's, in fact: Brigitte Nielsen.

Add in some well choreographed action, well done mostly-silent and brooding bad guys (and gals, in this case), Stallone's obvious charisma, and over-the-top finale, you've got a "winner" of an Action (genre) flick.

I have no problem with this, for what it is/was.

PS: his pistol w/snake (cobra) grips is a custom-made 9mm conversion to a 45ACP 1911-style Commander or Officer's. 9mm were all the rage at that time; I bought a SIG P226 in 1990 on that theory. Worthless outside military or police, huge cannon that it was, I enjoyed it for years casually. Sure enough, 9mm is back almost thirty years later, as ammo has progressed tremendously since then (and post 1986 Miami FBI shootout/debacle, a truly incredible incident that changed thinking about "enough firepower" radically).

Old 07-09-2018, 10:26 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
The thing about that scene is that later one, when Cobra encounters the same guys parked outside his place, they are listening to the exact same song. Do they play the same song over and over again, as they hang out parked there, all day and night lol.
How much thought do you think went into that scene? Why does Santana's cover of Tito Puente's "Oye Como Va" always underscore a scene that shows a Mexican gardener at work? When they even did it in Nip/Tuck, I rewarded it with my zillionth facepalm.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
I mostly remember the car. Back in those days most guys building '49-'51 Fords and Mercuries were slamming them as low as they could possibly go, where Cobretti's car was a hot rod.

Other than that it was a typical action film of the era, fun but without a lot of depth.

Old 07-09-2018, 11:32 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
I think Stallone really showed his range as an actor in that movie.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I think Stallone really showed his range as an actor in that movie.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
I was like 8 when that came out. Night slasher scared the crap out of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies