Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 05:27 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times

Advertisements

About all we hear about and talk about are the "A-list" actors and actresses. They do seem to really have it made. Or do they? Fame is hard on a lot of them. Prolonged dry spells are part of the gig. "Marital bliss" is quite rare indeed. Plus they can easily fall out of favor for a slip of the tongue or significant weight gain or decline in looks. No privacy whatsoever.

Yet the biggest negative of them all is the sheer odds of making it in Hollywood. No real idea but I'll guess that the odds of really making it in Hollywood are less than 1 in 1000. The odds do improve if one is incredibly attractive and gifted at memorizing lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Well I am an inspiring actor as well. I want to at least make it in indie movies. Doesn't have to be Hollywood per say, but would like to make it in general.

Old 08-11-2018, 05:43 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,965,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I am an inspiring actor as well. I want to at least make it in indie movies. Doesn't have to be Hollywood per say, but would like to make it in general.
The good news is that nobody has to convince Weinstein that they find him irresistible. He was a sleaze bag but also a real Hollywood force and talent at getting projects done.

Best wishes on your dreams!

Old 08-11-2018, 05:50 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
I know people who work as extras, and they are kept pretty busy. Plus, there's no "glamor" pressure. Be yourself! That's who casting directors are looking for.

"Well I am an inspiring actor as well."

Ironpony, I think you mean aspiring actor. The audience decides if you're "inspiring."

Old 08-11-2018, 06:09 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
But I really want to be a Director...

Old 08-11-2018, 07:08 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
There are two kinds of actors out there. The ones who want to be famous and the ones who want to work. If someone really wants to be an actor, there are plenty of roles to be had. It’s not hard to get jobs as an extra or with speaking parts. Do enough of those and that leads to bigger roles.

The two movies I have been in, fell into my lap by accident. I just happen to be in the right place at the right time. After working on both I learned quite a bit and realized how easy it was to get work.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I know people who work as extras, and they are kept pretty busy. Plus, there's no "glamor" pressure. Be yourself! That's who casting directors are looking for.

"Well I am an inspiring actor as well."

Ironpony, I think you mean aspiring actor. The audience decides if you're "inspiring."
Sorry I misspoke.

I have actually finding it difficult to get work, with good pay and mostly have been doing volunteer or very low pay work so far.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:02 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I know some will always come up with some examples of unattractive actresses who've made it big.

Yeah, sure, but for the most part, in order to even get a remote chance at being an A-list actress who gets to headline all genres including romantic and action, you have to look good naked or in a bikini. Either that, or it's nepotism and you ride off the fame of your pappy (Dakota Johnson, Angelina Jolie, Bryce Dallas Howard).

Look at Charlize Theron, she was discovered in a bank by a scout, and she had to 'pay her dues' in sleazy hollyweird in her early roles, by taking off her clothes and doing sex scenes. Only after that did she get the chance to play more serious roles.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:13 PM

Which Charlize Theron movies are you talking about where she had to pay her dues?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies