Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

I saw it for the first time, but I found it very frustrating to watch cause the main character I felt kept making one dumb decision after another and kept painting himself into corner.

Mainly with the police by just not explaining things, and choosing to run from them.

Particularly the scene where he wakes up in the jail cell only to find the door open, only to find the whole police station of officers has been murdered. He hears sirens coming and decides to run. But all he had to do was go back into the jail cell, close the door, and then just say he was locked inside the whole time, and had no idea what happened in the station cause he couldn't see anything.

Wouldn't this have been the best thing to do?

He also decides to take police hostage later, instead of just quietly turn himself in.

The police are also really dumb to. One of the cops, instead of arresting him, wants to shoot him to death, to avenge his friends, thinking he did it. But the cop is willing to murder him, in front of a whole bus full of witnesses. I was thinking really?

The police are also stupid cause they actually let the villain tear a woman in half with the two trucks. As soon as they saw the villain was actually going to do it, they could have just shot the ropes connected to her feet, and they should have been ready to shoot them if they had to.

But no, they actually let the villain tear her apart.

So I felt the movie was just really poorly written and lacked intelligence, but maybe I'm wrong? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 06:04 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
The police are also stupid cause they actually let the villain tear a woman in half with the two trucks. As soon as they saw the villain was actually going to do it, they could have just shot the ropes connected to her feet, and they should have been ready to shoot them if they had to.
There weren't any marksmen around. Do you know how good you have to be to do that? If a bullet severed a rope, that would be a hell of a lucky shot. And there's still no guarantee she wouldn't be dismembered.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:13 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I saw this at the movies in 1986. I don't think I've seen it since. Rutger Hauer plays menace really well, but this is by no means one of his better movies.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:17 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
I saw it for the first time, but I found it very frustrating to watch cause the main character I felt kept making one dumb decision after another and kept painting himself into corner.
As with complaining that The Good, The Bad and the Ugly lacked character development, if you don't like The Hitcher because the main character makes bad decisions, then you're simply doing it wrong - 'it' being watching movies. Because The Hitcher belongs to a genre in which a protagonist being prone to unwise choices is practically a requirement.

Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that Die Hard just wasn't very realistic...

Old 10-10-2018, 06:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:

Mainly with the police by just not explaining things, and choosing to run from them.

Particularly the scene where he wakes up in the jail cell only to find the door open, only to find the whole police station of officers has been murdered. He hears sirens coming and decides to run. But all he had to do was go back into the jail cell, close the door, and then just say he was locked inside the whole time, and had no idea what happened in the station cause he couldn't see anything.

Wouldn't this have been the best thing to do?

He also decides to take police hostage later, instead of just quietly turn himself in.

The police are also really dumb to. One of the cops, instead of arresting him, wants to shoot him to death, to avenge his friends, thinking he did it. But the cop is willing to murder him, in front of a whole bus full of witnesses. I was thinking really?

But no, they actually let the villain tear her apart.

So I felt the movie was just really poorly written and lacked intelligence, but maybe I'm wrong? What do you think?
I saw it a zillion years ago and rather liked it. I don't remember the scene with the woman and the trucks though. Ewwwww

Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
There weren't any marksmen around. Do you know how good you have to be to do that? If a bullet severed a rope, that would be a hell of a lucky shot. And there's still no guarantee she wouldn't be dismembered.
The cops were standing about five feet in front of her from what I remember. How hard is it to walk up five feet, and get close since you are already close?

Plus if she is going to die anyway, why not at least try to save her, rather than say, oh it's too hard, so might as well not even try, and just let her die.

And I understand not every movie character has to be smart, but I think there is a limit as to how many foolish risks a main character to take, till it gets the point where we don't believe he cares enough about himself.

Last edited by ironpony; 10-10-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 04:22 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Jennifer Jason Leigh was outstanding in this.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Jennifer Jason Leigh was outstanding in this.
That puts it in a whole other light then - I love JJL so I may have to check it out!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That puts it in a whole other light then - I love JJL so I may have to check it out!
If you love Jennifer Jason Leigh, I hope you've seen Flesh & Blood.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
If you love Jennifer Jason Leigh, I hope you've seen Flesh & Blood.
Very under-rated flick. One of the best middle ages movies out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies