Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:31 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
When The Phantom Spinach was out, I heard a story (still unverified) that Lucas showed the film to Spielberg, who told him to change the ending — which the former did, but then he changed it back.
I know a guy who had peripheral involvement with the movie prior to its release. There was definitely an almost cult-like attitude at Lucasfilm at the time. No one dared criticize George. If he farted, you were supposed to smell it and call it roses.

I like George Lucas. Genuinely. He is one of my heroes. But that atmosphere is not healthy for anyone, no matter what you do for a living.

"If you're stupid, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Isaac Jaffe)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 02:32 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
I don't know if I'd call George one of my heroes. THX 1138 are Star Wars are movies I like a lot, but one is dystopian science fiction and the other far-more-celebrated film (which I've seen too many times and now try to avoid) is well-executed space opera. George needs collaborators to make a fire that burns. What else does he have? Zack Snyder's got more good movies to his credit.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I'd call George one of my heroes. THX 1138 are Star Wars are movies I like a lot, but one is dystopian science fiction and the other far-more-celebrated film (which I've seen too many times and now try to avoid) is well-executed space opera.
American Graffiti is a genuinely great movie.

Quote:
George needs collaborators to make a fire that burns.
George is a great Idea Man. STAR WARS and Indiana Jones both came out of his brain. Both great stories. George is a talented director. But the man can't write. He struggles to grasp basic story structure, and his dialogue is often laughable.

Quote:
What else does he have? Zack Snyder's got more good movies to his credit.
Zack is a great visual director. But he shares all of Lucas's weaknesses on story structure. And has the man ever come up with a great story on his own? Not that that is necessarily a bad thing. Not every great director has to be a great writer or even story generator. But given the choice between praising a guy who came up with the most popular mythology of the late 20th century and the guy who directed a really good remake of a really good zombie movie, I'm going with Lucas.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:47 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,618,718 times
The great irony there ^ is that Zack's remake is a movie based on an existing property, officially sanctioned.

Lucas' film Star Wars is inspired by many other preexisting concepts, which he claimed as his own.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
The great irony there ^ is that Zack's remake is a movie based on an existing property, officially sanctioned.
Sure. And it's great. In fact, I risk the wrath of the disciples of Romero by saying this, but it's true: Snyder's remake is better than Romero's original.

Quote:
Lucas' film Star Wars is inspired by many other preexisting concepts, which he claimed as his own.
That is true of every story for the past 15,000 years. The last storyteller to come up with something truly original was leaning near the fire and gnawing on a mammoth bone.

But Lucas has never claimed otherwise. He's been very upfront about that from the beginning: STAR WARS is nothing new. It's something old re-imagined for a new audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies