Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 07:45 AM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What does "about China" mean?

It obviously means something very different to Xi Jinping and the ruling Communist Party than it does to Disney. Personally, I doubt either are true.

SHANG CHI is a silly and occasionally fun Fantasy flick. It has about as much to do with the real China as the HARRY POTTER films have to do with the real Britain.
I doubt Disney--which is always going to be a fantasy company--will ever any more produce a movie having to do with the "real China" than it will produce a movie having to do with the "real America." Talk to Scorsese, maybe, about that.

But the Chinese government does have its own opinion of what fantasy in and about China ought to be (they do produce their own Chinese fantasy movies), as do the Chinese national people.

And they don't seem ever to like anything American production companies do about them.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:54 AM

643 posts, read 354,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What does "about China" mean?

It obviously means something very different to Xi Jinping and the ruling Communist Party than it does to Disney. Personally, I doubt either are true.

SHANG CHI is a silly and occasionally fun Fantasy flick. It has about as much to do with the real China as the HARRY POTTER films have to do with the real Britain.
The Ten Rings organization implies Chinese Community Party pretty obviously actually. The story could be applied to Xi asking his kid studying in US to inherent his Chairman position of CCP.

Old 09-30-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot002 View Post

https://youtu.be/m-798GXoTBU

The director explains the whole bus scene. They put so much effort into it that they even shipped two sample buses across continents from San Francisco to Sydney like shipping rare species in old times. One of the scenarios was shot from three different locations, SF, Sydney, LA, and put up together. Speechless.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:52 AM

22,932 posts, read 28,314,157 times
Quote:
https://youtu.be/m-798GXoTBU

The director explains the whole bus scene. They put so much effort into it that they even shipped two sample buses across continents from San Francisco to Sydney like shipping rare species in old times. One of the scenarios was shot from three different locations, SF, Sydney, LA, and put up together. Speechless.
Still not as good as '80s Hong Kong movies. I could pontificate as to why, but why? This guy has already done it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G7UIL9x4bI

Old 10-03-2021, 12:29 PM

512 posts, read 322,291 times
I love that, once again, even in a pandemic, and even with "disappointing" results when compared to their own movies releases in non-pandemic times, the MCU is still unstoppable, with the two biggest domestic hits of 2021 (Shang-Chi, and Black Widow, both also garnering great reviews, with SC at 92 % Fresh on RT and BW also fresh with 80 % on RT)). The former is also the fifth biggest hit worldwide so far in 2021 while the latter sits at # 6. Not bad for two films that the Snyderbots assured us would flop because of "something something Marvel Sucks something."

Old 10-03-2021, 04:00 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,629,090 times
Trying too hard again, Oranusfella. Black Widow wasn't a hit (myriad reviews on IMDb tell you why), its domestic gross didn't match its budget, and Disney just coughed up another $40 million for ScarJo in court.

Oh, by the way, the Venom movies aren't made by Disney. And it's going to make a sizeable profit.

Box Office: ‘Venom’ Sequel Feasts on Monstrous $90 Million Debut, Setting Pandemic Record

Quote:
The much darker “Venom” follow-up comes from Sony Pictures and is separate from Disney’s Marvel Cinematic Universe, which recently delivered “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” and “Black Widow” — the two highest-grossing films of the year at the domestic box office. If its first three days in theaters are any indication, “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” is on track to join those blockbusters as 2021’s biggest earners. The film is playing only in cinemas, as opposed to being available in a hybrid release on-demand — a factor that should help ticket sales.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/v...ny-1235079710/

Old 10-04-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
The Ten Rings organization implies Chinese Community Party pretty obviously actually. The story could be applied to Xi asking his kid studying in US to inherent his Chairman position of CCP.
Shangchi is just like Kim Zheng-en of North Korea--studied in the West(Sweden) then went back home to succeed. So this one is like The Interview, portraying the communist party offensively and inappropriately. No question CCP is gonna ban it.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:44 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,231,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I haven't watched a marvel movie since guardians of the Galaxy. I find them quite boring. I invited GOG and iron man. The dark knight was good but that was it for me.

I heard Chang chi was really not bad so if it ever becomes available to me I might watch it.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:41 PM

^ To certain extent shangchi saves mcu, bringing mcu back to the first ever Iron man storyline, and reintroduces Mandarin with his Ten-ring organization, the original villain of mcu.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:08 AM

Actually there were more conversations in the film playing aggressively and offensively like---"You're just a criminal, you murder people" according to the trailers when Shangchi talked to Mandarin Wenwu. I was waiting for that while watching and found they somehow just deleted those lines. If they've kept, they should forget about the Chinese mainland market.

Quote:
Shangchi is just like Kim Zheng-en of North Korea--studied in the West(Sweden) then went back home to succeed. So this one is like The Interview, portraying the communist party offensively and inappropriately. No question CCP is gonna ban it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies