Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:30 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Well that is plain stupid. I don't think there were any women in the trenches. They served in other capacities, but not on the front line.
Copy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
I just got back from seeing this. I thought the filming was extremely effective--it made me feel as if I were actually part of the entire thing, rather than just watching it.

And I did well until the very end.....then I lost it and started sobbing. I won't say what scene this was, but I'd guess anybody who saw the movie can probably figure out which moment it was. And I am not usually a 'crier' during movies.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I just got back from seeing this. I thought the filming was extremely effective--it made me feel as if I were actually part of the entire thing, rather than just watching it.

And I did well until the very end.....then I lost it and started sobbing. I won't say what scene this was, but I'd guess anybody who saw the movie can probably figure out which moment it was. And I am not usually a 'crier' during movies.
I cry in just about every movie, so I was already getting emotional after the one death. But like you said, you feel like your part if the entire thing, so I got attached to the characters pretty quickly.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:13 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Just saw the movie, was very well done.

The story is mostly fiction as are the characters, but the basic scenario of a soldier needing to send messages to troops was in fact based on the director's grandfather's real life experiences in WW1.

To me this wasn't so much a WW1 movie but a movie with that war as the setting, if that makes sense. I like movies that are about journeys, where the protagonist(s) go from point A to point B and their experiences along the way.

This is by no means the 'definitive' WW1 movie or close to it, and they don't even show any major battle sequences as conventional war movies do. But I don't think that was necessarily the intent of the director, at least from the movie I saw.

Several tense and incredibly well done scenes, leading to a satisfying and powerful conclusion.

The true story behind the '1917' movie

1917 History vs Hollywood

Old 01-28-2020, 04:20 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
I was very disappointed by this movie and must say am astounded that it has a shot at best movie at the Oscars. Sure the cinematography was great and while the "one take" (actually 40 shoots stitched together) gimmick was ok for the most part, I found myself feeling like I was watching a multi level video game. And the character development and lead acting was also about the standard of a video game.

As a big fan of Gallipoli I couldn't help comparing the two throughout, especially in the message delivery scene. While Peter Weir's Gallipoli was haunting and left you will enormous anguish, 1917 was just another level in the video game where you knew the ending. But at least it brought us closer to the end of the film.

If this wins the Oscar for Best Picture, it will be a triumph of PR and gimmick over substance. If not for the gimmick, this would not be in the discussion and will never rank anywhere when assessing greatest war movies.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:35 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
If this wins the Oscar for Best Picture, it will be a triumph of PR and gimmick over substance. If not for the gimmick, this would not be in the discussion and will never rank anywhere when assessing greatest war movies.
People have different taste in movies. Just because you did not like it, does not make it a bad movie that isn't deserving of all the awards it has received.

Old 01-29-2020, 11:49 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So has anyone seen this yet?
Yes Ive seen it ...great cinematography.. shows the trenches in all their glory..good film but not great and wouldnt watch it again. others though have loved it.. Id give it 6 out of 10 watched some of it being filmed in Glasgow docks. not up to the hype..

Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Well that is plain stupid. I don't think there were any women in the trenches. They served in other capacities, but not on the front line.
That doesn't matter to Hollywood today. They are perfectly fine with changing history, making stuff up, and bastardizing everything in order to insert unrealistic female roles, gays, and minorities where they never were.

Brokeback Somme, anyone?

Old 01-30-2020, 03:16 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
People have different taste in movies. Just because you did not like it, does not make it a bad movie that isn't deserving of all the awards it has received.
Well that kind of goes without saying doesn't it?

I didn't say it was a bad movie, just that in my opinion it was weak in most aspects apart from the photography. As an overall package it was a 5 or 6 out of 10. In my opinion of course

Old 02-07-2020, 02:58 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
We saw 1917 today at a matinee and both loved it. It was a touching and exciting movie. I definitely recommend people see it on the big screen before it leaves the theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies