Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2019, 03:02 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times

Advertisements

It's that time of year when The Polar Express movie is running on the networks.

As a railroad fan and amateur historian I've always enjoyed the movie for its accurate portrayal and level of detail for the railroad equipment and operation.

Having seen the movie a few times I keep thinking about the roles portrayed.

Tom Hanks is credited with playing six roles: Hero Boy / Father / Conductor / Hobo / Scrooge / Santa Claus.

It's completely obvious that the Railroad Conductor looks like Tom Hanks. But he does not match the image of the Hobo or Santa Claus.

The Santa Claus character reminds me of Peter Ustinov and sounds a bit like him too.

The Hobo image reminds me of a mashup of Paul Newman and/or Steve McQueen. The Hobo could also be a newer actor that I'm not all that familiar with, like Jason Statham.

Tom Hanks may have done the voices of those six roles, but I only see the image of Tom Hanks in the railroad Conductor.

The other characters are animations of other people, so I'm wondering if anyone else sees this or has similar thoughts.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 07:01 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
THE POLAR EXPRESS book had a nice charm to it. But the movie is nightmare fuel. I don't just dislike it. It genuinely creeps me out.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...ny-valley1.htm

Old 12-14-2019, 03:46 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,407,229 times
I always thought that the kid that didn’t want to get on the train at first looked like Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle.

Santa looked like Gandolf from Lord of the Rings.

Yes, Tom Hanks looked like the conductor.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:17 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I was familiar with the caldecott winning book first. When the movie came out, I saw it in 3D. The animation technique, back then, was very novel. You have to view it within that context. It didn't get good reviews initially, but one of the critics said that eventually, it will grow on audiences and become a classic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies