Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 02:57 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
This is a little off topic, but I’m interested in knowing why people would watch the same movie 10 or more times. There must be some character or situation in the movie that a viewer would really relate to, on a personal level.

The only movie I can think of that I have watched more than 4 times is “Gone With The Wind.” I relate to Scarlett in that I wish I was as gutsy as she was (but without her selfishness). Also, I love how suave Rhett Butler was.

How about your favorite movie? What do you relate to in it?
It’s actually unusual for me to watch a film into double digits. In the case of “The Wizard of Oz,” I mostly watched it when I was younger. I’m old enough to remember when it was a yearly tradition for network TV to air this, and I watched it each year. Have also watched the film occasionally since, usually with several years’ space between.

“The Lion King” and “Bolt” both make interesting use of repeated material, the former structurally and the latter thematically. I became fascinated with how the mechanics work in both, and rewatched them a lot with pen in hand writing down the instances of repetition and how they are used. In fact, I got a published article out of the former. Both are fine films in their own right and merit more than one look, but there was more to it that that in these cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 07:19 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,102 times
Rocky.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,604,185 times
Star Wars (the first one)
Blazing Saddles
Jurassic Park
(all three) Lord of the Rings movies
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Iron Man
Star Trek (2009)
Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
The Ten Commandments (1956)
The Young Victoria
Lincoln

There might be some others that I've forgotten. I tend to rewatch movies I love; and my preference is usually for escapist fare. (I thought Schindler's List was brilliant, but I simply cannot rewatch it, it is too painful)

Old 12-26-2019, 08:12 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,164 times
The Godfather I and II
Bridget Jones (original)
Shawshank Redemption
The Changeling (George C. Scott)
The Haunting (1963)
The Negotiator

There are more, but those come quickly to mind.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:11 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
There are a good number of movies I've seen multiple times, but I think the original Star Wars trilogy takes the cake.

Old 12-27-2019, 12:10 AM

512 posts, read 321,062 times
Wonder Woman
Titanic
Chicago
Soul Food

Old 12-27-2019, 04:42 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
I'm pretty sure my top two, by a long shot, are

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

and

The Big Lebowski

Old 12-27-2019, 08:18 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times
The Third Man
Night of the Hunter
Dr. Strangelove
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Wild Bunch
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner
The Shining
Fargo

Old 12-27-2019, 08:36 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,842 times
Unfortunately, my list is not of movies of my choice. My significant other has most of the control over the television up until prime time kicks in and I then get control. Weekends are torture for me because of the following:

All the Harry Potters
All the James Bonds
All the Star Wars
All the Jason Bournes
All the Kill Bills

On any given weekend there is a station that will run marathons of these movies. I swear I have seen all of these 20 times or more over the years. I liked them originally but now I can't stand them.

Of course, there are many movies I have seen multiple times that I like but too many to name. The ones above just happen to be burned into my brain and I now groan out loud when they appear on my TV. I guess one good thing is that they make me get up off the couch to go do something more constructive in another room.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
This is a little off topic, but I’m interested in knowing why people would watch the same movie 10 or more times. There must be some character or situation in the movie that a viewer would really relate to, on a personal level.

The only movie I can think of that I have watched more than 4 times is “Gone With The Wind.” I relate to Scarlett in that I wish I was as gutsy as she was (but without her selfishness). Also, I love how suave Rhett Butler was.

How about your favorite movie? What do you relate to in it?
I love a great script which is why I have watched movies like Pulp Fiction and O Brother Where Art Thou and others on my list repeatedly. I never get tired of the fine twist to a phrase. There are many other movies with excellent scripts that I've seen many times but not 10 or more times - just for the record. For instance, the other night we rewatched Forrest Gump, for about the 4th time. We hadn't seen it in awhile and I had forgotten just how good the lines are. Same with Trainspotting - I just rewatched that one too and was like "WOW, WHAT GREAT WRITING!"

I don't identify with or relate on a personal level to, for instance, heroin addicts or anyone in Forrest Gump or Pulp Fiction - but I just love love love a great line. The more the better!

I also really love a peak into a subculture - one that makes me feel like I'm right there. I can think of many movies that do that - most of them are on my Favorites list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies