Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 11:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 704,755 times

Advertisements

I liked watching their reviews even if I didn't always agree with them. I was watching some old episodes of
their shows and was surprised that Gene Siskel voted "no" to some really big movies:

Apocalypse Now
Midnight Express
Norma Rae
Poltergeist
Arthur

Roger Ebert liked those (so did I). If they were alive today, they'd be super busy with all the movie choices.
They both agreed (as did many) that Goodfellas was the best picture of 1990. But Gene Siskel said the Academy might pick the epic, Dances with Wolves
instead for Best Picture. He was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 06:18 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,089 times
I miss Roger Ebert.

I think a written film review is far more informative than a few soundbytes with video. Over time, I discovered that when Ebert liked something, I generally did as well. There were exceptions, of course, but his approval of a movie was a useful metric by which I could assume that I'd probably like it.

His memoir Life Itself was wonderful and poignant. I highly recommend it. Apparently, after his death it was filmed as a documentary, but I've never been interested.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:33 AM

3,074 posts, read 8,030,540 times
Yes, I miss them. Even if I didn't agree with the review, at least I had some insight into the movie. I liked them very much.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:31 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
I miss the give and take as the two gave their views and sometimes dropped into a light debate. Unfortunately the TV show break of a movie review into "thumps up or down" gave us Rotten Tomatoes where 100 C grades is a better score than 95 A's and 5 D's

Old 08-08-2020, 11:53 AM

22,931 posts, read 28,306,592 times
Something about Siskel always rubbed me the wrong way, but I loved and adored Ebert. Even when I disagreed with him, I loved his reviews. He was not only a smart and perceptive critic, but he was a great writer with a biting wit. Some of the funniest reviews ever written were from when Ebert really hated a movie. Some of his best bits:

Battlefield Earth is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It’s not merely bad; it’s unpleasant in a hostile way.”

“I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than The Brown Bunny.”

On Baby Geniuses --- "This is an old idea, beautifully expressed by Wordsworth, who said, 'Heaven lies about us in our infancy.' If I could quote the whole poem instead of completing this review, believe me, we'd all be happier. But I press on."

Old 08-08-2020, 12:02 PM

1,940 posts, read 704,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Something about Siskel always rubbed me the wrong way, but I loved and adored Ebert. Even when I disagreed with him, I loved his reviews. He was not only a smart and perceptive critic, but he was a great writer with a biting wit. Some of the funniest reviews ever written were from when Ebert really hated a movie. Some of his best bits:

Battlefield Earth is like taking a bus trip with someone who has needed a bath for a long time. It’s not merely bad; it’s unpleasant in a hostile way.”

“I had a colonoscopy once, and they let me watch it on TV. It was more entertaining than The Brown Bunny.”

On Baby Geniuses --- "This is an old idea, beautifully expressed by Wordsworth, who said, 'Heaven lies about us in our infancy.' If I could quote the whole poem instead of completing this review, believe me, we'd all be happier. But I press on."
Yes while watching some of their old reviews, I sided more with Roger.

I remember them both saying Battlefield Earth was one of the worst movies ever made. One of them actually said, "Don't even drive past a billboard advertising this movie." Even without their
reviews, that's a movie I'd have no desire to see.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:13 PM

736 posts, read 456,938 times
I liked their reviews and often saw movies based on their critiques.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:13 PM

518 posts, read 402,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
I liked watching their reviews even if I didn't always agree with them. I was watching some old episodes of
their shows and was surprised that Gene Siskel voted "no" to some really big movies:
I really miss Roger Ebert. I often found that I would agree with most of his reviews. It is customary for me to watch a movie-film and then after the movie I would read his review...(then a few others) I remember the show and I did watch it from time to time but it was his writing I really enjoy. I currently have 10 of his books and I love going into the books to find some reviews and opinions.

I just finished Unfaithful and I am now about to read his review from it in book form

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Scoops View Post
Roger Ebert liked those (so did I). If they were alive today, they'd be super busy with all the movie choices.
They both agreed (as did many) that Goodfellas was the best picture of 1990. But Gene Siskel said the Academy might pick the epic, Dances with Wolves
instead for Best Picture. He was right.
I think I agree with the Academy that Dances With Wolves was the Best Picture.

Old 08-08-2020, 12:22 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,096,267 times
I remember them well -- loved their show. I still remember Siskel talking about Schindler's List and wanting to thank Steven Spielberg as a person and as a Jew (that was back in 1993) -- moved me beyond words although at that time I (like most people) had no idea who Schindler was. (Just found the episode on Youtube -- his words were actually that he wanted to say something to Spielberg "first as a human being and then as a Jew, and that was, 'Bless you.' He has kept alive an event that so many people would like to forget."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-7dfNGc6c)

I was very sad when Siskel died (way too young), then later Ebert of course. I need to read Ebert's memoir.

Old 08-08-2020, 02:31 PM

889 posts, read 628,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I remember them well -- loved their show. I still remember Siskel talking about Schindler's List and wanting to thank Steven Spielberg as a person and as a Jew (that was back in 1993) -- moved me beyond words although at that time I (like most people) had no idea who Schindler was. (Just found the episode on Youtube -- his words were actually that he wanted to say something to Spielberg "first as a human being and then as a Jew, and that was, 'Bless you.' He has kept alive an event that so many people would like to forget."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-7dfNGc6c)

I was very sad when Siskel died (way too young), then later Ebert of course. I need to read Ebert's memoir.

I'm located in Chicago, so I had followed both Siskel and Ebert in their newspaper reviews, as well as on TV, starting in the 1970s.

I can recall in 1993, they held a private viewing of "Schindler's List" in Chicago for 4 survivors (2 men and 2 women) who had been on Schindler's list. Family members of these survivors were also invited to the viewing.

After the film was over, Siskel and Ebert interviewed each of the survivors and asked for their opinions of the film. They wrote a joint column which appeared in their home newspapers (Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times) (Siskel, Chicago Tribune) which included the comments and critiques of the survivors.

One point which the survivors made was that they felt that the role of Mrs. Schindler should have been more prominent in the film. They viewed her as the driving force behind her husband's actions and that she was Schindler's moral compass.

Last edited by Nearwest; 08-08-2020 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies