Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 07:37 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,151,966 times

Advertisements

I just went to see "La La Land." I admit I'm not a fan of musicals, but I'd heard it was so great that I was willing to give it a try. After all, there are a few I do like.

But it was worse than I ever dreamed. Tepid, bland, shallow, dull. It seems like most musicals are basically romances, but usually there is something - an intriguing story, an unusual setting, some unforgettable characters, a villain to propel the plot. This had nothing. No interesting characters. No touching relationship. No memorable dialogue (or lyrics). Even the cinematography was less than mediocre. (There's an opening number where all the faces are in shadow.) The only thing that enabled me to sit through it was Ryan Gosling, whom I really like. But this is one of the worst movie I've seen this year.

And it's getting rave reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 05:41 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,256,175 times
Quote:
And it's getting rave reviews.
Not only rave reviews from critics but from audiences as well.
I think its our Christmas day choice. We traditionally see a movies Christmas evening, in our area its pretty popular to do. The theaters will be hopping.
There is no "right and wrong" about what entertains each of us and my wife and I have dubbed ourselves "easily entertained". I will weigh in after we see it.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:23 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,549,337 times
I'm thinking about seeing it on Christmas Eve, and I'm looking forward to it.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:54 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,733,749 times
Saw it yesterday.

I agree with the assessment of the majority. I loved the main characters, loved the music and loved the cinematography.

Planning to see it again.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:18 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,447,076 times
I really enjoyed it a lot. I'd give it ★★★★1/2 out of ★★★★★. I really liked both of the characters as well and the music too. Emma Stone was especially good, and I think this may get her an Oscar.

Also:

Spoiler
I really liked that this didn't have the typical happy ending with everything wrapped up neat. I thought this ending was much more realistic given the relationship of the two main characters.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,256,175 times
We saw it Christmas night and both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it even though musicals are not our favorite genre.
While we sort of wished for a more upbeat ending I have to say it was a better movie the way it was. Who would even remember "Love Story" if Ali MacGraw recovered at the end?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,151,966 times
I expected most people would like it, but ask yourselves this:

Does it have a marvelous, distinct, memorable character, like Yul Brynner in The King and I? No.

Does it have a riveting plot, like Sweeney Todd? No.

Does it have dazzlingly funny or clever lyrics, like Company or Candide? No.

Does it have marvelously memorable tunes, like "I could have danced all night" or "Somewhere over the rainbow" or "Send in the clowns" or "People"? No.

Does it feature an unusual or exotic locale, like The King and I or South Pacific? No.

Does it have an enjoyable evocation of an era, like Gigi? No.

Does it touch on any worthwhile issues, like South Pacific? No.

Does it have anything that's really at stake, like Camelot? No.

Does it have anything genuinely moving, like West Side Story? No.

Does it have really sophisticated dancing, like an Astaire film? No.

Does it have any real show-stoppers scenes like all the ones in classic musicals? No.

As I said - bland and dull.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,037,678 times
I haven't seen it yet, but I feel like it's going to be like Moulin Rouge, which I thought was agonizingly bad but everyone else seemed to love.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:35 AM

26,764 posts, read 26,890,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
As I said - bland and dull.
You're right that you're in the minority.

New York Film Critics Circle gives best picture to 'La La Land' - LA Times

'La La Land' leads the pack with 12 nominations for Critics' Choice Awards:http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...201-story.html

Old 01-07-2017, 12:15 PM

29,758 posts, read 34,454,278 times
I liked La La Land well enough, and it was well done, but I didn't think it was the perfect movie or the perfect musical. My only hope is that it doesn't sweep all of the awards just on the fact that Hollywood types love to reward movies that are about how great Hollywood is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies