Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2023, 01:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 6,209,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Binged for three nights on Lord of the Rings, deluxe set, two dvd per movie.

We saw these in the theatre when they were first released then got the extended versions. But never watched back to back. Read the books long ago.

While watching the quality of production really made an impression. The design elements, hair color, wigs, makeup, costume, prosthetics, head pieces, lighting, sets from shire cottage to the halls of kings. Designers and crafters were real artists.

Then the casting, can't think of a role that wasn't a good fit. And the commitment of the cast was so solid. That was a tough movie with incredible physical demands, sword play, running, climbing mountains in snow, wind, rain, cold, hot. Anyway it was impressive.

Really noticed the Norse saga elements of the story this time. Always been aware of it but after reading Bernard Cornwell's Uhtred of Bebbanburgh novels it was all the more evident.

Really enjoyed all three (late) nights.

I will go to my grave baffled how the same person who made LOTR, could have produced the rancid abomination that was The Hobbit trilogy.

I had always preferred the simple fairy tale of The Hobbit to the long, complicated drama of Lord of the Rings. I liked LOTR, but The Hobbit so much more. Imagine my delight when I heard The Hobbit was going to be made into a trilogy. Imagine my sickening disgust when it proved to be a long-running, mindless, insulting CGI videogame geared to 9 year olds.

The Hobbit was my greatest movie disappointment since Star Wars I: the Phantom Mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2023, 11:41 AM

8,368 posts, read 13,517,326 times
Tethered (on Amazon Prime).

Good, simple horror/thriller/monster movie that does a lot with very little.
That part impressed me. 3 actors (2 unknown), all did a decent job.
Single location, a bit slow paced but kept me interested till the end, nonetheless.
I enjoyed it.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:01 PM

3,761 posts, read 2,594,847 times
Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

Still a fun movie..
And the Trans Am is still sexy.

Old 04-15-2023, 10:06 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
The Truth About Emanuel
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1838520...2520about%2520

Pretty good psychological horror flick with great photography, wonderful actresses, and closure in the end. A 7.6.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:08 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,684,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I will go to my grave baffled how the same person who made LOTR, could have produced the rancid abomination that was The Hobbit trilogy.

I had always preferred the simple fairy tale of The Hobbit to the long, complicated drama of Lord of the Rings. I liked LOTR, but The Hobbit so much more. Imagine my delight when I heard The Hobbit was going to be made into a trilogy. Imagine my sickening disgust when it proved to be a long-running, mindless, insulting CGI videogame geared to 9 year olds.

The Hobbit was my greatest movie disappointment since Star Wars I: the Phantom Mess.
Completely agree.

I think we saw the first Hobbit and that was it.

I also liked the book The Hobbit better than LOTR. The story wasn't really worthy of three thick volumes. Also just got tired of Frodo's poor decision making and accident filled journey.

But did enjoy the extended version binge.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:30 AM

8,368 posts, read 13,517,326 times
Last movie I (tried to) watch on Amazon Prime called Ones and Zeros with Ethan Hawk which I like but that movie was a stylish piece of crap European movie making!
I could only tolerate about 25 minutes of it before watching season finale of The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:34 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,405,989 times
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IiMini...JhaWxlcg%3D%3D

Old 04-16-2023, 02:42 PM

8,085 posts, read 10,681,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Just finishing Office Space for probably the 10th time. All hail the red Swingline stapler!
Only 10? You're way behind a lot of us, lol.

Perfect movie, perfectly cast, perfect depiction of so many truths in the working world both then and sadly, still today.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:57 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
Mystery movie: Shetland-Dead Water
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2999258/?ref_=ttep_ep3

Pretty decent, the solving of the mystery wasn't too far a mystery of how they got there. The characters weren't too many to keep track of. Thank god for subtitles! I know they speak English but still........ a 7.1.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:41 PM

2,389 posts, read 879,054 times
Alfred Hitchcock's "Marnie" on Netflix. The first time I saw it in 1964 it didn't interest me much. I think I fell asleep half way through. Totally different this time around. Truly one of Hitchcock's best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies