Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 09:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Omen
American Psycho
Hellraiser
Candyman
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
The Thing
Fright Night
The Wicker Man
Misery
Shaun of the Dead
Psycho
Evil Dead
Aliens
Halloween
Night of the Comet
Silence of the Lambs
Rosemary's Baby
Waxwork
I’d also throw in the original Blair Witch Project and Child’s Play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 12:47 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Pet Sematary 1989

Old 12-26-2021, 06:09 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
I thought Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon was good. It’s not a typical horror movie but it’s the type that makes me scared when I’m alone. Plus it is well acted with a good plot so it’s far better than most horror movies.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:36 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I’d also throw in the original Blair Witch Project and Child’s Play.
I watched both of the titles you mentioned. I intentionally left them out. Especially BWP. All hype, no substance.

Old 12-30-2021, 07:45 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Most I've purchased because I liked them so much:

1)The Barrens - Best ending ever. I think I'll watch it again, tonight.
2) The original Invasion of The Body Snatchers (the one with Kevin McCarthy - saw it as a kid - gave me the creeps). Don't think the remakes were as good.
3) The Howling - Again, the original with Dee Wallace and Patrick McNee. Another good ending movie.
4) The Omen (the one with Gregory Peck was great, the remake stunk) and Omen 2 (with William Holden) This Omen also wins on horror music
5) The Mothman Prophesies - Have been to WV twice and keep forgetting to see the statue. You know who was really good in this movie? - Will Patton - He's in a lot of movies I like, like No Way Out and The Punisher.
6) The Wicker Man - The original with Edward Woodward from 1973 - The remake was awful.
7) The Night of The Living Dead The black and white one made in 1968 - The remake was awful.
8) The Grudge - Sarah Michelle Geller one.
9) Psycho - My mother and grandmother took me and my younger sister to see it in the theater when we were in grade school. Who does that? My sister is now in her 60's and I think she still keeps the light on at night.
10)Empire of The Ants - The cheesiest horror movie I ever liked.
11) P.I.N. I've only seen this movie once. I don't know why it hasn't been on TV more.
12) They Live!
13) Orphan
14) The Sentinel Gates of hell kind of movie. The one with Christina Raines and Chris Sarandon.
15) The Devil's Advocate Pacino and Keanu Reeves

I did see a movie I do not know the name of. I think it took place in Australia. It was a torture movie out in the desert. The movie ending just did me in. I'm sorry I just don't remember the name of it.

I would also like to make a case for the original Jaws as a horror movie. I first saw it in the movie theater on Long Island where there was standing room only so my then husband and I (we were in our early 20s) sat on the carpeted floor in the aisle. The first time the shark appeared, the man in one of the seats on the aisle near us jumped up in the air clear out of his seat. I had never seen anything like that and still have never seen anything like it.

I didn't like The Exorcist or Silence of the Lambs - I thought they were too talky. The Sixth Sense was a good quality movie but I don't think it was scary.

Last edited by LauraC; 12-30-2021 at 07:58 AM..

Old 12-30-2021, 06:53 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Some of these aren't horror. There more thrillers or suspense. I classify Seven or Silence of the Lambs as a thriller.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:09 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie1123 View Post
Since more than one person recommended The Exorcist, that's definitely going on the list. Hope it's as scary as they say!

Thank you all for your suggestions! If anyone has any others they'd like to recommend, I'm not done compiling my list yet.
You can watch that one with the lights ON and you'll get the crap scared out of you!

Old 01-01-2022, 07:10 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I thought Stir of Echoes with Kevin Bacon was good. It’s not a typical horror movie but it’s the type that makes me scared when I’m alone. Plus it is well acted with a good plot so it’s far better than most horror movies.
good movie..

Old 01-01-2022, 07:15 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I was quite creeped out with Hush..

When a stranger calls..

Old 01-01-2022, 07:54 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I was quite creeped out with Hush..

When a stranger calls..
Haven’t seen Hush, but I remember When A Stranger Calls. My mom took me to see that when I was 11 and we were both creeped out about it later. That was definitely one of the scarier movies. I prefer the suspense type of thrillers like that rather than the slasher type movies like Friday the 13th. Those only rely on jump scares, but they don’t make me think of them later. Movies like When A Star get Calls do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies