Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 11:26 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,126,516 times

Advertisements

Maybe I don't understand the problem enough to not suggest this but......

.......could you make your own list and then put it out there somewhere to access with your phone to see if what you are about to buy is a duplicate?

Back when I was around buying my first smart phone, I was in the practice of buying Uzis and I wanted to access serial numbers when I was at gun shows. The saleswoman came up with a site that had stolen weapon serial numbers that could be accessed. Not quite what I was looking for but ..... a means and a ways was out there for smart phones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 11:35 AM

5,480 posts, read 2,134,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Maybe I don't understand the problem enough to not suggest this but......

.......could you make your own list and then put it out there somewhere to access with your phone to see if what you are about to buy is a duplicate?

Back when I was around buying my first smart phone, I was in the practice of buying Uzis and I wanted to access serial numbers when I was at gun shows. The saleswoman came up with a site that had stolen weapon serial numbers that could be accessed. Not quite what I was looking for but ..... a means and a ways was out there for smart phones?
Of course I COULD...but I'm looking to be able to scan the barcodes...Plus have the IMDB type info automatically populate and store on multiple platforms through syncing.

I don't want to manually type 2,000+ titles.

Old 07-26-2022, 02:44 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,264,593 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Of course I COULD...but I'm looking to be able to scan the barcodes...Plus have the IMDB type info automatically populate and store on multiple platforms through syncing.

I don't want to manually type 2,000+ titles.
That's exactly what my book program does, and I assume their DVD Collector program does.

It's not just the title. It's all the data. The title, author, ISBN codes, plot, synopsis, genre, cover images front & back, publication date, and about 100 other fields, all automatically populated. And there's the Personal Fields--Read It, Read Date, Rating, and more.

If you have a scanner, you can scan the ISBN and click ACCEPT on any matches it finds. I don't, so I enter the ISBN manually, takes 3-5 seconds, and voila!

I originally started using it because I found myself reading a book a second time. So I entered every book I'd ever read (the ones I could remember), and have continued to enter books ever since. Makes it a snap to find books I want to read by a certain author, and avoid re-reads.

It really is worth every penny I paid.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:36 AM

777 posts, read 356,626 times
Quote:
Well, I am afraid that is the big catch because I think we are talking about what Dinosaurs use! Who uses DVDs, who reads books anymore, how do people have music these days? Maybe in the new media and how to get it, it comes with its own accounting system.
A lot of people do. Physical media sales is still significant, even if not visible in physical stores as much anymore.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:58 AM

23,651 posts, read 14,126,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony_c55 View Post
A lot of people do. Physical media sales is still significant, even if not visible in physical stores as much anymore.
Most curious.......because I am often nailed to the cross on this site for still using DVDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That's exactly what my book program does, and I assume their DVD Collector program does.

It's not just the title. It's all the data. The title, author, ISBN codes, plot, synopsis, genre, cover images front & back, publication date, and about 100 other fields, all automatically populated. And there's the Personal Fields--Read It, Read Date, Rating, and more.

If you have a scanner, you can scan the ISBN and click ACCEPT on any matches it finds. I don't, so I enter the ISBN manually, takes 3-5 seconds, and voila!

I originally started using it because I found myself reading a book a second time. So I entered every book I'd ever read (the ones I could remember), and have continued to enter books ever since. Makes it a snap to find books I want to read by a certain author, and avoid re-reads.

It really is worth every penny I paid.
Well, to each their own.

First, assuming I used a smart phone like that (I don't), let me ask a question relevant to this discussion.......would it work reading the bar codes of VHS tapes? That is one way, though much lesser these days, I build my library by getting the tape and making a working DVD copy. Often, it works, sometimes though it does not because the tape is so bad, I have to break down and get the DVD.

As to all the data, well to each their own. I gave up on listening to what the critics said about a flick after I listened to them about "Tomorrow Never Dies" (one product placement after another). Long story short of things, all the movie has to do is entertain me while it is running. Others might see it as a blatant ripoff of another movie, of say Leviathan of Alien and hence give it a pitiful low rating like, say, Creature, but I don't care, that's not why I watch movies.

Now, at one time, I might have been interested who was in the flick but unless it is from the ancient times, say Jack Hawkins, these days it is rather meaningless because many a time, said famous name, like Jan Michael Vincent in Alienator, it really isn't about them, not much footage and if it is, not their best performance........Though, looking at the credits for that flick, I ought to go back and watch it again sometime......lots of good famous names in it.....when I didn't know them as so famous.

I like going into a movie totally blind so for what happens, I am taken completely by surprise, like with "From Dusk to Dawn". I picked up the movie because I wanted an ultraviolent crime flick that night. Buying movies at $10 or less a flick, I can afford to be nonchalant about it.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-27-2022 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-27-2022, 12:02 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,264,593 times
Quote:
As to all the data, well to each their own. I gave up on listening to what the critics said about a flick <snip>
There's nothing in the data about reviews or ratings, at least not in the Book version. It's data, not opinions. When it was published, author, yada yada. And without some sort of help, I can't keep track of what I've already read. I do add my own rating, but that's in a user field, not something the program downloaded. That's so I know whether I want to read any more by that author.

While the program was written for book collectors (hence, "Book Collectorz"), I don't buy books any more, I get them from the library. And when a favorite author might have 10 or 20 or more books, I can't keep track. I use this program to note the date I read it, and my personal rating. Next time I want to get a book by, for example, Daniel Silva, I look to see what the last book I read was, and then I try to get the next in the series.

I have 1362 books in the program, and there is no way I can remember I've read all of them. Here's a screen snap:
Attached Thumbnails
DVD catalog apps-capture.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies